Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Mast Noise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C25eclipse
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/24/2008 :  00:24:39  Show Profile
Does anyone have a suggestion to stop that infernal rattle I have from the mast light cable banging around inside the mast while trying to sleep? I know it's not the halyards. Someone suggested pulling the wire out (mast Down) and attaching 3 wire ties every 4 feet or so up the cable, then pulling it back in. The tie ends would hold the cable away from the mast and might not interfere with the halyards. Any other thoughts on this?
Thanks!

Chris
eclipse
1988 Capri 25

Edited by - on

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2008 :  05:36:02  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Without taking the mast down, the only two viable locations to do anything without going to the top of the mast is to access the wires from the steaming light housing or from the bottom of the mast where the halyard comes out of the mast. I forget how large the hole is up near the steaming light housing but my thought would be if you could access the wires from one of those locations and then either slip a small diameter piece of foam pipe insulation partially along the wire. The foam insulation has a slit by which you could somehow put on the wire and then push it up thru the bottom of the mast or down thru the housing. But the access hole is probably to small to fit even a small diameter foam piece partially up...say a foot or two. So, maybe you can think of something else to fit on the wire or pull the wire away from the side of the mast it is closest too by hooking it with something thru those access points. Then experiment with attaching something to it that will pull it to the other side of the mast from where it is closest. may have to hook it with something and then twist it a few turns to get some slack out of it.

If it was me, the easiest access point would be where the halyard comes out the bottom and pull thw wire toward the opening, then figure out how loose it is and then what to do to minimize that. It may be that just getting the wire at the bottom of the mast to stay closer to another part of the mast will prevent it from slapping the mast where it right now is resting closest.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2008 :  08:13:11  Show Profile
I seem to remember someone shoving a large sponge half way up the mast to silence the wires. If I needed to do this, I'd tie a messenger line around it to facilitate future removal.

Edited by - dlucier on 03/24/2008 08:14:24
Go to Top of Page

C25eclipse
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2008 :  10:31:45  Show Profile
Thanks,
I thought about the pipe insulation as well. My mast is down for winter so I can access things easily. The top of the mast has a large opening.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tinob
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1883 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2008 :  12:25:59  Show Profile
My mast wires are festooned with wire ties throughout(PO)and the only noise from the mast is due to the external lines and such hanging there.

Val on the hard DAGNABIT, #3936, Patchogue, N.Y.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2008 :  07:29:06  Show Profile
If you are comfortable disconnecting the anchor light and steaming light cables, if you have both, so that they can be reattached properly, then sliding the mast wiring harness right out the bottom of the mast (not through the bottom mast hole) is the simplest way to add 3 or 4 plastic wire ties every 3 feet or so. That will stop the banging.

Don't forget to duct tape 2 strong guide lines at the top and middle of the mast to the the wire ends. Pulling the wires back into place is easy. Reinstalling the wires for long-term functioning may need replacing some tinned copper connectors with a crimper tool. West Marine has those.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2008 :  10:55:57  Show Profile
When we rewired the mast on our C25, my wife and I used the pipe insulation method with great results. Why they didn't or don't come from the factory with some sort of wire insulation system is silly. Zip tie or use adhesive spray to affix the insulation to the wire and then just feed it through slowly and use a lot of patience. You may have to roll the mast into different positions such that you can move the insulation thru a couple of tight spots. 3 lengths was our max as I recall - you can't do it all the way thru, but when complete it does work....

I am straining to remember, but I think the upper insulation had to be installed from the mast head cover plate thing...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

clayC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
207 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2008 :  13:58:52  Show Profile
our 1st season on Kamalla we were so busy with all of the rest of the things that needed done we just threw the mast up and sailed away. our mast was very quiet. the next season I decided to re-wire the mast. when I took the mast head off I couldn't see through. after washing and pushing a long piece of pvc through we washed out a pretty large bird. It had been there for quite a while. so if you can coax a bird into your mast that keeps the noise down, we riveted a piece of conduit to the mast to run our wires through, that worked as well.

Clay C

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

C25eclipse
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2008 :  12:27:53  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided on the wire tie idea and installing went very smoothly. We'll be launching in a few weeks so I'll find out then how it works.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2008 :  15:26:11  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Chris dont have noise coming from the mast but I know what you are talking about. While at a mooring in Catalina, at night I would hear this clunking and it drove me crazy. I could not sleep very well. I thought it was the dinghy hitting the side at first. But it wasn't. Then I thought it might be related to the mooring but it wasn't. On my last nite I finally determined it was the rudder hitting. I placed the tiller between the back stay but it caused the rudder to hit. I just happen to figure than out while sitting in the cockpit. Well my last nite sleep was very quite. Noises can be so irritating.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page