Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Name Decal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

barleyrooty
1st Mate

Member Avatar

64 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/07/2008 :  16:51:16  Show Profile
Had "Lulu" for a year now but haven't put her name on her yet. Any recommendations? I see a lot of places online that sell custom "stickers". Any good/bad experiences with these.

How big can I make the name? (Boat is 90 miles away and I'd like to order it.)

Thanks,
Phil

Lulu, 2001 C250 WB #540
Keyport, NJ

Edited by - on

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2008 :  17:27:56  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Phil, i thought 6 or 7" was big enough but after seeing what others in this forum have done, I am going with 8 or 9". I did consider Boat US but think they are kind of limited, font wise. I have checked out Fast Signs. They have offices all over and have great rates-better than Boat US. I just cant get there before 6pm and Saturdays are tough too cuz I am sailing! HE HE.
Good luck.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2008 :  17:35:45  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
We went with 9" letters from a local sign shop. They make the vinyl decals pretty easy to apply as long as you follow the directions. I think the shop was called "Fast Signs", not sure if they're in your area or not.

We were originally going to go with 12" letters, but the shop had samples up on the wall, and standing on the other side of the room from them, I liked the size of the 9" letters better. Now that it's on the side of the boat, I'm glad I did. 12" would have been too big. However, I've seen three foot high letters too, whatever floats your boat...

We played around with fonts in MS Word till we found one we both liked, and then just told the shop which font, & how to spell the words.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2008 :  18:43:24  Show Profile
I retract my previous post.

We got our lettering from Overton's online.

They are 6" high, color King Blue and font Splash.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2008 :  19:22:06  Show Profile
I used a local Fast Signs shop to do our C-25 as well as to re-letter our C-22 after her make-over. Very satisfied with the results, and it's easy to apply.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2008 :  05:07:45  Show Profile
FastSigns for me too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2008 :  05:48:27  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I used Boat US on-line. Then discovered that they made them right at their Headquarters in my neighborhood - adjacent to the Boat US/West Marine Store. The staff was very helpful. The on-line tool does not make it clear that if you are ordering 2 names (for both sides of the hull), that the second name is at a signficant discount. It does not become clear as to the full cost until you work your way thru the processing.

Then when I smudged one of the letters on my dock, I was able to stop by the store and pick up a 6"-12" piece of same color material. they just looked up my past order to ensure right matl and then cut me a piece and gave it to me for free.

The lettering was believe in 8" font. But because of the font I chose, they called me before they actually made up the order to inform me that the font I chose had tails on the capitals that extended the lettring size quite a bit. They then worked with me to get the right sizing - length and width. For me it was perfect sizing.

The key to doing this right is not to pick too small a font size. Many order it undersized. Then when out sailing, the font may not be large enough to read from a distance. I already had one expereince where I know the lettering is right-sized. I sailed down toward an area where a co-worker also sails and he was out crewing on another boat. he was never all that close to me and I did not know he was sailing that day but he told me the next day he saw me because he could read my name from a good distance away.

Edited by - OLarryR on 04/08/2008 05:55:32
Go to Top of Page

SCnewbie
Navigator

Members Avatar

166 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2008 :  13:17:27  Show Profile
I went with Cap'n John's boat lettering and was fine with it. I previously used boat US. I think they were a bit more expensive and not as many styles to choose from but I was very pleased with what I got. I went with 4" letters. Bigger would have been cool but I like the size I have.

Edited by - SCnewbie on 04/09/2008 07:11:27
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2008 :  13:27:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />The key to doing this right is not to pick too small a font size. Many order it undersized. Then when out sailing, the font may not be large enough to read from a distance.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Along with smallish fonts, one must be careful with the style as well. For example in your boat's name "Robin's Nest", the "N" in Nest has very thin uprights that at a distance might disappear and look like "<i><b>Robin's est</b></i>"

I have a similar thing with my boat's name.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

barleyrooty
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2008 :  13:57:37  Show Profile
Thanks for the input. Do you like the stern name/port as well? If so, what size?

Thanks,
Phil

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SCnewbie
Navigator

Members Avatar

166 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2008 :  14:51:12  Show Profile
I wanted the name on the stern but on the 250, there isn't much room for it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2008 :  22:59:06  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Originally posted by dlucier "...Along with smallish fonts, one must be careful with the style as well. For example in your boat's name "Robin's Nest", the "N" in Nest has very thin uprights ..."

"I have a similar thing with my boat's name."

The other thing about thin letters is that sometimes getting the letter to stick on may take some tender loving care to get it right. I had some trouble with the thin part of "S" in my boat name. But these are minor nuisances. For the most part, looking at the many other boats with photos on this Forum and in a Marina will generally provide good hints as to what works.

As far as names on the stern, this really was not an option for me with a '89 Cat. The ladder is on one side and the motor on the other. The name would be very hard to read blocked by those interferences. (Also, my boat name on the hull sides is somewhere between 48" to 54" in length. Can't remember exact dimension.)

Edited by - OLarryR on 04/08/2008 23:02:08
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  05:46:18  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:35:26  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Don,

So you have the name on the hull sides and the stern !!

Any thought putting it somewhere on the deck ? Never know when a Coast Guard helicopter may be checking you out !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:51:59  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />Don,

So you have the name on the hull sides and the stern !!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Say you're in a channel, single file with some other boats, having the name on the stern will allow another boater to more easily hail you if necessary. I'm more likely to recognize being hailed with my boat name instead of "hailing white sailboat in front of me".

Edited by - dlucier on 04/09/2008 07:52:39
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  08:18:53  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Don,

Good point !

I think there is not a week that goes by that there is something mentioned on this Forum that then gets me thinking I have to add addl things on to my to do list:

Modify the table

replace halyards

Replace my VHF with one that has an easily accessible remote or by a handheld.

Boat name On the Stern

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:02:46  Show Profile
Ditto the comments about fonts with thin edging. We had that on our C22 and the letters were prone to unstick at those thin places.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  14:40:11  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
For reference here's what ours looks like:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Don, I also like the idea of putting the name on the stern. I was gonna add hailing port and if I shrink everything down I think I can add both. What size did you go with on the stern?
BTW, Your choice of size and font makes it very easy to read your name. This should be first choice, not how fancy or creative one can be. Save that for the name itself.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

barleyrooty
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  15:26:11  Show Profile
&gt;&gt; Any thought putting it somewhere on the deck ?

Put it on the bimini of course!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  15:49:06  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piseas</i>
<br />What size did you go with on the stern?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Steve,

It's been a while, but I think the letters on the stern are 4 inches high.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2008 :  15:09:48  Show Profile
<br />I used Boat US on-line.
The lettering was believe in 8" font. But because of the font I chose...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Can you tell me exactly which font this is? (My wife and I like it.)

Thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2008 :  22:23:47  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Martin,

I found my old receipt but it only has an item Number and not the descriptors to determine exactly what I ordered. I hope to call or stop by the Boat US Graphics tomorrow afternoon and will let you know later by EMail or here what I find out.

Looking at the Boat US Graphics on-line tool, I am 95% sure I ordered it as follows:
Font: "Black Chancery"
Size based on capital letter: 8" (but for the font I chose - It has tails on the capitals and it is more like 10" on the capitals)
Color: Believe it was a Metallic Blue.

If you were to have a name with 8" capitals with the above font (that font has tails so 8" capital is more like 10"), then the length of a two word name with same number of characters as my boat name, the length would be approximately 54" !! That is shown on their on-line form in the bottom left side of the screen. Rcmd discuss with the graphics personnel about your font and actual height of capitals and small letters and how it effects total length so you have no surprises after ordering. If you do talk to them, ask if they can provide you with a small extra scrap piece of same color matl so that you can use that to patch any smudges that may occur after a year or two. Maybe they will give you that scrap piece for free.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2008 :  10:50:35  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Martin,

I called up Boat US Graphics and got the confirming info regarding my Item Number:

Font: Black Chancery
Color: Navy Blue
Size & length: 6 1/2" and 48" long

However, what they told me was at the time I ordered my boat name, that font they had a sizing issue with the "tails" on the capital letters. So my 6 1/2" captila is really closer to 8" or maybe even a bit larger. They now are sizing it with the tail closer to what the customer specifies as the size of the capital letter. If I had ordered it today, then the size would probably be around 8". You can still check with them and they can tell you exactly what the size and length will be and will adjust according to your preferences.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2008 :  18:31:52  Show Profile
<br />Martin,

I called up Boat US Graphics and got the confirming info regarding my Item Number:

Font: Black Chancery
Color: Navy Blue
Size & length: 6 1/2" and 48" long

However, what they told me was at the time I ordered my boat name, that font they had a sizing issue with the "tails" on the capital letters. So my 6 1/2" captila is really closer to 8" or maybe even a bit larger. They now are sizing it with the tail closer to what the customer specifies as the size of the capital letter. If I had ordered it today, then the size would probably be around 8". You can still check with them and they can tell you exactly what the size and length will be and will adjust according to your preferences.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dave,

This is great. Thanks for all your help. I'll post pictures, eventually, of the new boat with the lettering.

Thanks again,
Martin

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2008 :  10:25:34  Show Profile
For whatever it's worth, here's what we're going to order from our local sign guy:

<font color="blue"><b><i>Bluebell</i></b></font id="blue">
FONT: Lucida Calligraphy (this is a standard Microsoft Office font)
8" high letters
TWO stickers (one for each side of the boat)

<font face="Century Gothic"><font color="blue"><b>NV 8237 KX</b></font id="blue"></font id="Century Gothic">
FONT: Century Gothic bold
3" high letters
TWO stickers (one for each side of the boat)

JUNE 13, 2008; Here's the installed lettering:

Edited by - MartinJW on 06/13/2008 18:09:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page