Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Cockpit Changes 2000-2001 and Outboard Mount
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/04/2008 :  00:45:08  Show Profile
I've been reading a couple of posts and noticed a change in the C250 cockpit design.
[url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17793"]New Engine - Nissan 9.8hp ultra long shaft[/url]
[url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17458"]How to install a Garelick outboard bracket[/url]

The cockpit changed between model years 2000 and 2001
This causes the same outboard to "fit" a newer model but won't on an older models.
The easiest way to see the changes by looking at the cockpit non-skid area.
The cockpit cowling was reduced on 2001 model making more room for the outboard (but the non-skid stayed the same).

Here is Randy Kolb's 2000 model
The starboard cowling (left of picture) is vertical of the non-skid area.
From reading other posts, the space for the outboard is about 13 inches.
Note: Randy has a customized connection to charge his battery from the outboard.

Here's my 2005 model (same as 2001 model)
The starboard cowling is farther away from the non-skid area.
The space for the outboard is about 18 inches at the transom.

Here's another view of the 2005 model.
You can see the cowling and non-skid area better.
Other changes:
You can also see the outboard "Well" or "Sump" has changed.
Both 2005 and 2000 models have a "Well" below the cockpit sole.
On the 2005 model, the "Well" is a squared notch (yes, those are leaves).
On the 2000 model, the "Well" is a sloped (see first picture above).
On the 1999 model, there is no "Well" and the scupper is level with the cockpit sole.
The fuel locker lid also changed.
On the 2005 model the lid has 2 forward hinges.
On the 2000 model the lid is not attached.

Here's the 2000 fuel locker.
Randy also has his customized cockpit seat on top.

Here's the 2000 port side.
The cowling is next to the non-skid.
Also the split backstay is connected to the cowling.

Here's the 2005 with the cowling away from the non-skid.
Also, it has a single port-side backstay which connects to the D-ring on the deck.

Note: on June-8, I updated this post with corrections and feedback from my original.
Thanks to Randy Kolb (2000 C250WK #443 Nauti-Duck)
Russ C250WB #793

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 06/09/2008 13:22:18

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2008 :  10:27:27  Show Profile
Thanks, Russ. The 1999 model does not have the "sump/well" just before the transom either. The scuppers are level with the cockpit sole.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2008 :  13:09:30  Show Profile
I've never paid that close attention to the corners but, yes, the lid is very different. Mine is only connected with a bungee. The top has ridges that keep it in place.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2008 :  13:30:34  Show Profile
I'll be at the boat tonight and will check but I think my 2000 (#443) has the "1999" transom cutout. It certainly has the bungeed fuel locker. Maybe the design change was a mid-year one? Whatever, it was a good change athough you still can't have the handle down and turn. I find that these days I only turn the outboard in the situation where we have already attached the spring line and I need to ease the bow in for the Admiral to set the fore dock lines. Otherwise the OB is set straight and all steering is via the wheel/ruddder.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2008 :  22:38:54  Show Profile
OK, here are photos of my 2000WK and you can see it has the narrower transom cutout.

They must have made the change mid-year 2000.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2008 :  10:50:57  Show Profile
Russ, what's the D-ring for? Looks like a broken toe waiting to happen. Or worse, something to trip over as I try to climb off the boat when it's on the trailer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2008 :  13:00:42  Show Profile
That's where his backstay terminates. While I prefer his wider engine space, I prefer my backstay arrrangement.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Navy1
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
126 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2008 :  08:38:42  Show Profile
Randy, I think you should have kept that S.S. motor extension and put it on your boat. Mine came with it on and I like it. What is that folding table on top of your fuel locker for? Is that a Catalina option. And doesn't it get in the road of your tiller handle, even if it is folded up? I will take pictures of Lake Petenwell next week and try to post them. It is a popular sailing lake. Roger

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2008 :  09:11:46  Show Profile
Roger,
That's Randy's helm seat. He has a wheel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2008 :  11:04:18  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Wow Randy, do you have to keep the sides of your engine lubed up so it'll fit in there? That looks really tight!

I'll take some pictures of our 97 if the monsoon ever lets up, it's been raining for days here. However, mine looks very similar to Randy & John's, we have the same split backstay arrangement as Nautiduck, but I'm not sure about the chamfered fuel locker corners. I know we don't have a hinge, only some thin-ish bungee cords holding the lid in place.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2008 :  11:53:01  Show Profile
Roger, John is correct, it is my [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15877&SearchTerms=helm"]seat[/url]. I went back and forth on that bracket. As it is for now I don't turn the motor much anyway. My next major project is to move the outboard controls (throttle, shift) to the pedestal.

David, it does look tight! I think the photo exagerates it. It is no problem and when the outboard is tilted down it turns well in both directions. My fuel locker top uses the bungee to keep it closed.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 06/06/2008 11:55:02
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2008 :  23:38:32  Show Profile
OK, here is a photo of the outboard when it is down. Not so tight looking.

Note that our 2000 has the "sump" by the outboard so the scuppers are below the level of the main cockpit sole.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2008 :  23:25:18  Show Profile
Russ, nice post for future reference! Note that the 2000 does have a small sump area. Also note that the 2000 sump area is clean while the 2005 sump area is quite dirty.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 06/08/2008 23:25:43
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2008 :  12:35:08  Show Profile
Slightly off topic but...I sailed a friends Rhodes 22 this weekend and while I was not in love with how it handled, (Our Catalinas track better), it did have a ton of conveniences. The one that has me thinking the most is the motor mount. It attaches to the stern and is raised by pulling a line (heavy duty block & tackle). So much easier than bending over to tilt up and so much lighter than going for power tilt. Anyone seen this type of system before..possibly as an aftermarket item?
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2008 :  13:26:21  Show Profile
Randy,
I updated my original post and deleted my other responses.
If you agree with my updates, you might consider deleting your responses to make a better "Future Reference" post.
Russ

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page