Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Ethanol in Gasoline
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jesse camp
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/07/2008 :  10:49:46  Show Profile
Hello 25/250 Fans,
Here in Florida un-Ethanoled Gasoline is getting scarce. I am wondering if this E-10 will damage or causee additional maintenace/stabilizers for my 1996 four stroke Mariner 9.9hp or my 1986 4 hp Suzuki 2 stroke. I usually use mid-Grade 93 octane on my outboards.

Any suggestions or comments.
Best Regards,

Jesse Camp
Orlando, Fl 87 25 5550 SK SR

Jesse Camp

Edited by - on

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2008 :  11:51:26  Show Profile
Hi Jesse! Sorry to hear... I could say a bunch here, but Search on Ethanol and I think you'll get an eyeful.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2008 :  20:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
I'm not an expert, but I've heard that the only problems that have been occurring is where people have fiberglass tanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2008 :  22:13:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Champipple</i>
<br />I'm not an expert, but I've heard that the only problems that have been occurring is where people have fiberglass tanks.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">WRONG-O! Those are just the <i>ugliest</i> problems--virtually totalling some big cabin cruisers by requiring re-powering and ripping out of decks and tanks. Water is probably the widest-spread problem, followed by deteriorating fuel lines and other components, and rapidly deteriorating gasoline quality and octane, which is less noticeable but still insidious. Honda says stabilize every tank of gas.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2008 :  00:17:04  Show Profile
I think you will find that e-10 is not such a big issue. The higher concentrations can be significant problems, but not for engines. Engine problems are secondary to the tank issues and downstream contamination, not really a problem with our little steel or poly tanks. When they took the lead out, doomsayers showed burned valves and holed pistons and proclaimed the death of the gas engine and every engine failure was blamed on unleaded gas. Be careful of knee jerk responses to change, no matter how authoritative they seem, be sure your tank is clean, and use a filter/water separator as you should have been all along. You can't really stop the change to ethanol blends, so learn to live with it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:21:14  Show Profile
A few years ago, a fellow sailor at my marina suddenly started having very frustrating on and off problems with his Honda outboard that resulted in a couple of visits to the shop where they couldn't find anything wrong. After he started using Stabil religiously with every tank of gas, his problems went away.

Even though I've never had any problems with my Merc, since his experience, I use Stabil religiously.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:25:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041</i>
<br />I think you will find that e-10 is... not really a problem with our little steel or poly tanks... You can't really stop the change to ethanol blends, so learn to live with it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">It is somewhat corrosive to steel over time--get a plastic tank.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...and use a filter/water separator as you should have been all along.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Right. ...and gas stabilizer. I have read and been told by mechanics, who are being told by engine manufacturers, that E-10 octane drops below the manufacturers' minimum requirements in less than one month. (Before E-10, it took something four to six.) Call it CYA or "doomsaying", or pick up a little bottle that'll probably last you for several seasons--your choice.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 05/08/2008 09:29:15
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2008 :  11:40:51  Show Profile
One thing I have heard is that carburated motors respond poorly to the ethanol fuel while fuel injected motors fair pretty well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2008 :  17:48:34  Show Profile
I don't wish to imply that stabilizer is not a good idea, it is good stuff and I buy it by the pint at Lowe's. I don't use it religiously, but I will when I make the jump to a four stroke. I probably use more gas than many of you since I don't just putt out of the marina - its out of the marina, down the river, through the drawbridge, and out the channel before the sails go up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2008 :  05:56:29  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I use a gas stabilizer everytime I fill up the gas tank for my outboard. I use to use Stabil...actually still use it for seasonal equipment at home (pressure washer, lawnmower). But I have been using that stuff that West marine started selling a couple of years ago or so...believe it is called Startron or something like that. It may it's marketing hype but it seems to have more benefits than Stabil. In any case, I neve rhave problems with seasonal equipment at home and my outboard works fine usually starting on first pull or electric start.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DanM
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
256 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2008 :  06:31:51  Show Profile  Visit DanM's Homepage
My Nissan 4 stroke is too new to expect problems. I am one of the many that Dave refers to, using 3 gallons or less per season. So I add Stabil to my premium unleaded every time to keep it fresh.
I had fuel lines on two older yardwork engines deteriorate. That's when I learned about Stabil. We have had E-10 in WNY for several years, and I recall they sold it in MA ten years ago.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2008 :  09:19:09  Show Profile
BTW, I said this somewhere else... The new Marina StaBil (green instead of red) appears to me to be the way to go--twice the price per ounce, half the ounces per gallon of gas, and supposedly more corrosion inhibitors, etc. I use it <i>and</i> Startron (which is different stuff), but I'm protecting 10 times the investment.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 05/09/2008 09:20:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page