Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Main sheet attachment point
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

piseas
Former Treasurer

Member Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/27/2008 :  08:30:12  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Have anyone, besides Tom P., moved the attachment point for the main sheet forward on the boom. Like Tom, I want a longer bimini. He moved his a foot. How far forward has it been moved. Any drawbacks?
Steve A

Previous Owner
PiSeas II
2003 C250 WK #692
Newport Beach, CA

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2008 :  09:57:28  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Steve,
The C250 mainsheet rises verticaly from the front of the cockpit well up to the boom. I would think moving the top of the tackle forwards on the boom would cause several issues.
a) moving the force nearer to the weaker part of the boom (it would apply a greater bending moment at the center of the boom)
b) creates a greater obsticle for entrance egress of the cabin.

Our bimini extends fwds as far as the aft end of the boom. When the boom is free of the topping lift and the mainsheet tight, the boom end is just a couple of inches lower than the top of the bimini.

If the bimini were about 4" shorter in height, then the bimini top could extend almost all the way to the existing mainsheet/boom shackle, that would cover a lot of cockpit.

Tom has a Tall rig and I believe that the boom is lower still.

Unless you need all that headroom, I would think all you need do is cut down the bimini tubing and make a new canvas for it (you might get away with zipping an exetnsion to the front of the bimin.

Tom has a really nice canvas awning that extends from the bimini fwd, ours is a different design but does make a big difference under the sun at anchor or at a slip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2008 :  12:50:28  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Paul, my attachment point is not vertical, its about a 30 degree angle-going aft. I am confused, is yours straight up from the traveler? Moving it a foot would probably put it at 45 degrees.
Finally, I am not concerned with Bimini height, I want length to cover as much of the cockpit as possible but I am concerned about getting in and out of cabin.
Steve A

Edited by - piseas on 05/27/2008 18:21:46
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2008 :  18:09:30  Show Profile

Hi Steve,
I sent you a picture of the mainsheet attachment after I moved it. I would have posted it here but I don't have it online.

Originally the boom attachment point was leaning aft of vertical on my rig. Might have something to do with it being a tall rig. After I moved the attachment point forward on the boom a foot, it is now vertical. Moving it allowed me to obtain a little more coverage forward.

Off the subject of length, and on to "height". That dark shadow "standing" under the Bimini hanging on one of the cross bows is me (I'm 5'9"). Do what you can to get the most height you can.

Don't mind the cheap inflatable tied to the side. I've since ugraded.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2008 :  15:25:05  Show Profile
I moved mine forward .
It used to lean aft , then I moved it forward till it leaned forward .

Still not happy with it so my new position will be ,
when siting in front of the main sheet . feet on the first step ,
and what ever it is comfortable to lean back on .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2008 :  22:57:55  Show Profile
Here is a photo of the mainsheet arrangement on a 2000 WK. The sheet angles aft.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2008 :  23:23:25  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Randy, thats how my set up is now. I want to move about 1' forward. Hopefully that is vertical of traveler. I dont want to go past. This would give me the extra length for the bimimi. Thanks for the pic.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2008 :  23:33:12  Show Profile
I think you'll be fine. A bit tighter in and out of the cabin but not too bad. When you are docked you could move the traveler to one end to make entry easier. Up here in the PNW I don't bother mounting the bimini.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2008 :  23:47:53  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br /> Up here in the PNW I don't bother mounting the bimini.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Ok you lost me. If you dont mount bimini, how is it attached? Or are you saying you dont use it .
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bubba
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
542 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  16:28:20  Show Profile
Keep in mind that the mainsheet rides across the midship stanchion when sheeted out. You might want to experiment with a temporary attachment on the boom to see where the mainsheet is when sheeted all the way out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page