Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Fuel Tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jdower
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/30/2006 :  18:27:19  Show Profile
Does anybody know if there is a 6 gallon (or larger) gas tank that will fit under the seat on the 250? What have others done to increase beyond the standard 3 gallon tank? I really would like to avoid a below decks tank.

Edited by - on

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2006 :  18:45:29  Show Profile
The Tempo valu6 model will fit. Its tight but it fits.
I put one in last year. I don't remove it to refill, I use another can to fill the Valu6 while its in the locker. Having the larger tank makes it nice when your motoring a good distance.

[url="http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=260565"]Tempo Valu6[/url]

I picked mine up at my local West Marine.

Edited by - Tom Potter on 09/30/2006 18:48:57
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2006 :  18:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
The six gal galvanized tank will fit very well...but it is expensive.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2006 :  09:43:10  Show Profile
My 250 came with a 6 gal plastic tank that fits under the seat. I will get the manf name if you are interested.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jdower
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2006 :  14:30:53  Show Profile
I think the Tempo Valu6 will fit under the seat on the side of the cockpit, but not under the seat in the center (wheel steering). I will probably go with that on the Starboard side and run the fuel line back to the OB.

Zebra - if you have a 6 gallon tank that will fit under the center seat box, I sure would like to know what the model is, thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2006 :  14:45:35  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">if you have a 6 gallon tank that will fit under the center seat box<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ditton on that request.

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2006 :  18:07:16  Show Profile
The Tempo valu6 WILL FIT in the fuel locker. Unless they have changed the size of fuel locker over the years then it will fit. Like I said... its tight but it fits. I installed the tempo valu6 in my fuel locker when we were planning the Bimini trip.

Edited by - Tom Potter on 10/01/2006 18:10:20
Go to Top of Page

Ben - FL
Admiral

Members Avatar

880 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2006 :  21:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Ben - FL's Homepage
I also have a six gallon plastic fuel tank in the fuel locker. But I did keep a six gallon jerry can just where the boarding ladder is. However some kids felt it necessary to relieve me of it.

I found my fuel tank is being chaffed by the bolts holding the gudgeons. Be sure to put some softeners between them and the plastic tank.

Edited by - Ben - FL on 10/01/2006 21:53:29
Go to Top of Page

frogger
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
184 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2006 :  04:28:45  Show Profile
I have the galvanized steel 6-gallon metal outboard tank in the fuel locker on my 2000 250 WK. It is a snug fit but does go in. I put some plastic spacer bars under it and secured it. It is rather pricy but it does have a built in guage.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jdower
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2006 :  15:56:01  Show Profile
thanks, I am going to try the Tempo model as Knotty Cat suggested ... Jim

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailorman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2006 :  20:53:20  Show Profile
Ditto here on the tempo plastic 6 gal. It does fit under the seat, wheel steering 2002 wb. It is tite and has to be angled in,but no force required.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sterngucker
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
169 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2006 :  18:45:46  Show Profile
This metal 6 gal. Tempo tank has worked great for me. Slides in and out of the helm seat with ease. At Overton's for 89.99, and sometimes they email out 10-15% discount offers on all merchandise. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
181 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2006 :  10:42:24  Show Profile
Ditto again on the Tempo. I reversed the bolts on the gudgeon and slide a 1/2" piece of rigid insulating foam between to preclude chafe. Works great

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2006 :  12:50:30  Show Profile
jdower- it is a Nissan, same as my motor. fits perfectly in seat box, cap includes a fuel gauge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  22:18:40  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom Potter</i>
<br />The Tempo valu6 model will fit. Its tight but it fits.
[edited]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The <b>Attwood Marine 6-gallon tank</b> has the following dimensions:

<b>21" L x 11-1/2" W x 9-1/2" H</b>

Again, this is pretty darn close to what others reported here for the Tempo Valu6, so I'm wondering if it will work.

Martin

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  23:01:52  Show Profile
I've ordered an Attwood Marine 6-gallon tank (Attwood #8872-4) from HomeDepot.com ($20.59 + shipping & sales tax) of all places. I couldn't find this item in the usual locations (Defender.com, WestMarine.com, etc.).

The dimensions are 21"L x11-1/2"W x 9-1/2"H, which is pretty darn close to that of the Tempo Valu6, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I'll let everyone know if this works, and I'll post pictures.

Martin

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page