Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 6 Gallon Fuel Tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/21/2008 :  20:08:43  Show Profile
A forum member asked me about the 6 gallon tank that I have that fits in the fuel locker of our C250. It is a Tempo model Valu6 part #720040. According to the stamp on the side it was manufactured November 16, 2006. We bought it last fall. The dimensions are 11" wide and 20 3/4" long. As you can see it has no gauge. It may have been superseded by a model with a gauge and that model may have different dimensions. This one fits in the fuel locker. I will post a photo of the tank in the locker this weekend.

We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2008 :  22:27:56  Show Profile
I've heard that Tempo has ceased operations, and they do not answer the 1-800 number I have for them. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2008 :  23:12:16  Show Profile
OK, here are photos of the tank in the locker.

First, to get the tank in you put the non-gas-cap end into the fuel locker at the widest part of the locker (in the middle) so it looks like this:

The you push down on the gas-cap end the tank pushes past the lip and into the locker. It is a tight fit but it does fit:

The locker (at the extending lip) is 18 1/2" long and 12" wide at the widest part (the middle).

One of my next projects is to replace the bungee hold-down system on the fuel locker top with some sort of hings arrangement.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 02/23/2008 23:13:30
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2008 :  23:30:29  Show Profile
Here is a quote from a marine store web site:

NOTE: Tempo is no longer in business. We will continue to sell items we have in stock until they are gone. Items will be cross referenced to Moeller, Attwood and SeaChoice parts as soon as we can match everything up.

Here is a place still selling them:

[url="http://www.jbeezwatercraft.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/3723"]valu6[/url]

Interestingly, here is the Tempo web site:

[url="http://www.tempoproducts.com/products.php?action=view&item_id=7&tier=parts"]Tempo[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jlannutti
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
102 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2008 :  07:19:58  Show Profile
Check with boat supply outlets in your area and on the web...they made a ton of the valu 6 tanks and they are still not all that hard to find. You will fare better at stores that concentrate more on power boats. I picked up two of them last October just as it was time to put the boat on the hard. You do need to slightly tilt the tank to get it in the fuel locker but it is not as difficult as I expected from the posts here. The port seat compartment holds the other tank with room left over for a few other items. With two tanks securely stored in compartments I've dramatically increased my cruising range without worrying about where the nearest marina with a pump might be or trying to bungee a spare tank on the catbird seat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

welshoff
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
253 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2008 :  09:57:19  Show Profile
Randy,
FYI - my gas locker hatch has two hinges on the front of the lid (towards the wheel). No bunge cord. When I open it up, it just flips forward and leans against the wheel, also, stays closed when trailering.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2008 :  14:56:56  Show Profile
Wil, when you have a chance please post a photo of the hinged fuel locker top. Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2008 :  17:34:50  Show Profile
Here're some pics of mine (you can see one of the hinges...). Since the pics were taken I've replaced the small gas tank with a 6 gal. Tempo(?) metal tank, which fits nicely and just clears the shift linkage.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2008 :  21:00:59  Show Profile
Al, I am intrigued. Is your outboard mounted on the transom or do you have the OB bracket?? I would love to run my controls to the pedestal. Is that the throttle or gear shifter mounted to the fuel locker? Where is the other control?

In fact the two photos each seem to show the fat white pipe and the black cable going in different directions. ??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2008 :  22:19:33  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is your outboard mounted on the transom or do you have the OB bracket?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
On a (Tempo) rubber pad on the transom.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...throttle or gear shifter mounted to the fuel locker?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Both in the same unit. One cable goes to one ear of the mechanism, and the other (hard to see in the photo) goes up the middle of the mechanism (not to the other ear). The red button in the middle of the shifter (outside pic) disconnects the shifter part so you can rev it in neutral.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...fat white pipe and the black cable going in different directions.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The white "pipe" is a hose that contains the battery cables and goes straight to the batteries via a thru hull installed on the transom.

Both black cables go from the motor to the shifter/throttle mechanism via a smaller thru hull I installed in the bottom of the fuel locker.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

welshoff
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
253 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  09:58:11  Show Profile
Randy,
I will get you some photos shortly. Thanks for jumping in there Al.

Also, Randy my shifter/throttle are at the binnacle (Edson controls). All throttle/shifter controls and battery wiring runs through a rubber boot on the starboard side of the engine well - just about where Al's big white conduit bends on the starboard side of the engine well area near the floor. All systems are then inside the rear "trunk" area of the boat. They are then routed to the appropriate locations - battery/binnicle. My ignition key for the electric starter is also on that side of the cockpit, with the electric tilt controls for the engine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  12:21:31  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Randy, tks for the great photos and measurements. I will go to boat this weekend and compare.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  14:36:24  Show Profile
Al, do your cables (control and electric) restrict the turning ability of the outboard? I had thought that to use a cable control system one needed to use the extended outboard bracket in order to give the cables more maneuvering room. I would really like pedestal controls and, coupled with a hard link, would have total control while standing at the wheel.

Looking at your photos, it seems that the control cables can make a pretty tight turn, correct?

Your implementation looks very clean and well done.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 02/26/2008 14:37:04
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  16:11:01  Show Profile
Thanks, Randy. The cables don't restrict the turning ability.

The control cables are long, maybe 6 or 8 feet, and make a big "S" curve to avoid sharp bends. Having the motor slid all the way to stbd helps make more room, too.

The white sanitation hose that the electrical cables run through is a little stiffer than I would have wanted, but I wanted something heavy duty considering it was attaching to a thru hull, even though it is well above the waterline. But I regularly use a soft link and it works fine.

Some type of more permanent hard link is also on my to-do list. I like those control cables so much, and you can get them in any length or configuration you want, that I might make some type of "cable link", I dunno...!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  16:57:47  Show Profile
Thanks Al. The cables looping back is an inspiration. I had always pictured them going straight out and then impeding turning. I would have the cables enter the aft battery area and then up the pedestal. Do you think the cable is up to all of that and still easy for the controls to work? I have no experience with these control cables. Also, looks like you removed the OB handle which should help. I have the "classic" Honda and need to see if the handle can be removed.

Why do you use the Tempo rubber mount?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  18:40:13  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do you think the cable is up to all of that and still easy for the controls to work?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes, without a doubt. Consider large fishing/powerboats with a bridge midships and the engines buried somewhere aft. They use the same cables. If you Google "Teleflex control cables", you'll see there are a few different grades, and several different lengths (I saw one that was 38 ft.!)

Your best bet with the control and cables is to measure your cable length (allowing large radius curves) and go to a good powerboat dealer and tell him/her what you want to do and see what they recommend. There are a lot of different controls and cables available and it can be a little overwhelming figuring it out yourself.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Why do you use the Tempo rubber mount?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
My sailing usually consists of 5-6 hours trips from Marina Del Rey to Catalina, so I end up motor-sailing a lot to get there early enough to get a good mooring. As such, I spend a lot of time listening to that Honda buzzing at 4800 rpm. The rubber pad just uncouples the motor from the boat a little, making it a little quieter.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  20:54:36  Show Profile
Al, that rubber between your outboard and transom, coupled with the name of you boat makes me think that you might have served on a Sub at some time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  21:25:15  Show Profile
Ha! No, but as a Sonar tech on a destroyer in the late '60s, I <i>listened</i> to them at times...!

<i>SeaWolf</i> is named for my dog, Bugz, who loves the boat and whom we'd like to think has a little wolf in her...

...but actually, <i>SeaSlug</i> may have been a more appropriate name!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  21:45:26  Show Profile
Al, where did you get the rail pads on the catbird seats?

That second photo of Bugz is great!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2008 :  21:59:45  Show Profile
When I got the boat I wanted some covers that weren't in the standard Catalina canvas package, so the dealer recommended Maires Marine in Ventura. He came down to MDR and measured everything, went back to his shop in Ventura and stitched it up, then came back and everything fit perfectly. Very nice work.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2008 :  09:44:45  Show Profile
Nice looking stuff. I may contact them and see if they still have the measurements to do another set.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Keith D.
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
233 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2008 :  20:06:19  Show Profile
Just a note on this tank. Tempo did maks a fuel gauge for this tank which can be viewed from the top. It was tempo part number 720060 you may be able to find it on line somewhere yet. Keith

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2008 :  22:40:49  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Al, I left early from Newport to Avalon, motored all the way to get a mooring only to find out there was no room. I ended up at Cat Harbor. Had a great time.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2008 :  23:52:48  Show Profile
That's a long ride! I've never sailed to Avalon just because it's so crowded most of the time. Last time I cheated--took the Catalina Express! I usually tie up in Emerald Bay. No facilities, but very quiet, and you can do some snorkeling. If we need supplies or a shower or just don't want to cook, we take the dingy about 2 miles to Two Harbors.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Bob Jack
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2008 :  07:49:47  Show Profile
Congrats to all you guys who got the Tempo Valu 6...because from now on...you can't get there from here. As usual, i waited to long to get busy and now they don't exist. Spent a long time on line and ordered from two companies only to be told that they are gone the way of the buggy whip.
If anybody has a source I'd love to here from you..
Bob

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2008 :  18:27:34  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
AL, I all but gave up going to Avalon. So now Two Harbors, here I come. I don't have a problem getting a mooring there plus I go on a string line. But Emerald Bay is beautiful. One day I will give it a try.
Bob, when I heard about Tempo going out of business end of last year, I got my 6 gallon tank. I think I got the last one! Good luck.
Steve

Edited by - piseas on 03/07/2008 18:28:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page