Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Whose Got An IPhone? Charts On Sale For $4.99
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

piseas
Former Treasurer

Member Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/02/2008 :  15:43:24  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
I got one cuz my son got one and after seeing it in action, got one myself.

I have had it for about a month now and love it, especially all the free Apps that are available to download. Many are pretty good for boaters, such as GPS, wind speed, water temp, wave height, weather forecasting, speed, etc. and tons more. I already have a GPS and a handheld VHF with built-in GPS but you can never have enough electronics. Just wish this one was waterproof.

I was wondering if anybody else has one and what you think. What is your favorite app?

Steve A

Previous Owner
PiSeas II
2003 C250 WK #692
Newport Beach, CA

Edited by - piseas on 05/27/2009 14:59:27

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2008 :  16:04:01  Show Profile
Honestly I am afraid it is too delicate to be in my pocket. Everyone is shocked I do not have one because I spent years in the Mac industry.
And I am with Verizon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2008 :  07:26:48  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I don't have one but T- Mobile is coming or has recently come out with something very close to the IPhone that peaked my interest and it's only $200. That's I'm sure with a 2 year contract. Are these phones a little tender Frank? Steve?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2008 :  07:44:39  Show Profile
There is no such thing as "like an iPhone", you either have an Apple product with all that implies and entails or you don't. If you are not an Apple person there is no way to explain it, its as if there were only BMW and General Motors. BMW, you always know what you will get and it is always superb in every facet of ownership; General Motors, pretty much a crap shoot, occasionally great, often mediocre, occasionally terrible.
You either have an iPhone or you don't.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2008 :  08:02:07  Show Profile
Frank,

At least with my Buick, I don't have to ship it back to the factory to have the battery changed!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2008 :  11:27:32  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Actually Frank, it's very likely that this newer "second bite" version has learned the lesson from IPhone and has produced something as good or better for less money. Generally this is the case with technology and or product development.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2008 :  13:21:41  Show Profile
It is about owning an Apple product, you either do or you don't. It really is hard to explain, ownership is far more than using something. Of course there will be other offerings by other companies but...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2008 :  14:14:35  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
Like owning a C25/250 or a Macgregor/Hunter 25?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2008 :  00:36:51  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Frank, Funny you say that cuz I am a PC guy. This is my first experience with an Apple but I got to tell you I love it. I do not find it delicate at all. In fact I think its more sturdy than my other phones. I did buy a case just do I don't scratch it. My son dropped his IPhone but nothing happened.
I must also admit, I saw the new IMac with the 24" screens with a high end video and it too was amazing. Put in on my Xmas list!
Back to the IPhone, down side is if you use it a lot, and believe me, you will use it a lot, you will have to charge it every nite. And its true you will have to send it in for a new battery when it goes out. Not sure how long they will last, but the cost is $79.
All in all pricey, including the required $30 monthly fee.
But as I said, worth every penny. Thank goodness its a business expense.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ericson33
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
892 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Ericson33's Homepage
I have had my iPhone the first day they went one sale. I do everything with it, 2.0 added support for exchange but still needs search options. The app store is great and allot of free stuff. I don't use my pc anymore it's in the garage, and my notebook sits closed and is used only for drafting. I am looking forward for video options, and uploads directly to you tube.Its been 1 1/2 years and this is my third phone, apple replaced on the spot, replacment was due to the lower part of the display showing a blue line, and plugging it into my Bose iPod dock? The battery life last me about 1 day, but I use it all the time, notebook last 4 hrs, the newer 3g has small screws on the battery part of the case, I'll give it 5 stars.

Frank, you are right, next computer will be an apple. Great products

Posted ok my iPhone

Edited by - Ericson33 on 10/07/2008 21:34:03
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  13:46:58  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
For a limited time? Navionics has all charts for $4.99. I have dowloaded it and it is very good for the West Coast. Its a great backup tool, especially at that price as they usually charge $49.00.
Steve A

Edited by - piseas on 05/27/2009 14:17:46
Go to Top of Page

ruachwrights
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
258 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  17:22:01  Show Profile  Visit ruachwrights's Homepage
The Navionics App is absolutely awesome. It gives you the full function of most chart plotters. Water Map (15.00) is also pretty good and it will place your photos on the raster chart, but at 4.99 Navionics just cant be beat. Navionics is also a whole lot easier to read- has better waypoint function, and all the marinas are at the touch of a button, and tides and currents to boot.

I also have donwloaded a wind reader, the NOAA weather aplication, and other things. I have taken the iphone out in some pretty hairy situations and it has even taken some sea spray. You can get an aqua pack which gives it complete water proof protection (so that it will float if it goes overboard) or you can get a wrist bracelet for your fore arm which is also water proof. I just have a no screw ups will be tolerated mindset- and so far so good.

The iphone is a pretty handy sailors tool.

Vern Wright

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  18:56:44  Show Profile
I ended up getting the iPod Touch which of course is an iPhone without the phone function. it has been much tougher that I imagined. There is something for everyone at the App Store. I find myself playing bridge and golf most of the time; much better than Bejewled on a Palm! I am a bit ashamed to admit I don't do anything productive with it but will probably do web stuff at the lake with the wifi feature.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  19:21:24  Show Profile
OK, I bought Hot maps south and Gold maps Central.

Edit, wow they are big... still downloading!

Edited by - pastmember on 05/27/2009 19:28:00
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  19:34:22  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
I will chime in here since I work for AT&T. I don't work in the wireless market. I was very hesitant to go with the iphone. I was convinced by my son. I bought it with the expectation that it would exceed my expectations. I had no idea by how much though. It does more than any device I have ever owned.

Here is my quick list of apps I have loaded for free except AirMouse:

Note: some are apps and other are mobile web sites

<b>Pandora</b> App (plays internet radio based upon type of music. Select Led Zeppelin and it will play them and like groups.)

<b>Wikipedia</b> Modile

<b>Yellow Pages</b> App (Uses GPS for search. Click to call, map location, and add to contacts)

<b>Kayak</b> App (Travel Search Site)

<b>Webster Dictionary</b> Mobile

<b>ESPN</b> Mobile

<b>NBA Game Time</b> App

<b>Google Earth</b> App

<b>Public Radio</b> App (Listen to countless radio stations from every state.)

<b>Shutterfly</b> App (Able to upload to shutterfly from iphone pics)

<b>Usablenet</b> App (Host to many mobile web sites)

<b>Google</b> App (Speak Search Capability) This is cool

<b>Yahoo</b> App (Lots of info)

<b>Shazam</b> App (Listens to music playing anywhere and tells you the song. This one blew me away)

<b>AllRecipes</b> App (Find a quick meal or search for one)

<b>Craigsphone</b> App (Search Craigslist and post right from iphone with pictures)

<b>iMapMyHike, iMapMyBike, iMapMyRun</b> App (tracks you on your activity with speed, distance and mapped on google. I am going to try Hike on my next race to see how it does on speed.

<b>AirMouse</b> App $4.99(Full control of PC or Mac from the iphone while on the same wifi. Keyboard, touch screen mouse, media player and uses accelerometer to function the mouse by movement.)

<b>Remote</b> App (Access itunes music and controls.)

<b>Skype</b> App (Full skype phone when on wifi)

<b>Around Me</b> App (Quick find of what is near your present location by GPS)

<b>iMeem</b> App (Music site and Quick search and play of music by artist)

<b>Cinemark</b> Mobile (Find what is playing at the theater. Not based on GPS yet. Maybe soon I hope.)

<b>Cars, ebay, Sears, Walmart, Amazon, Target, ABC, CBS, CNN, Discovery, Fox, and NBC</b> Mobile (Useful sites to add to home screens)

Honestly I was surprised as to how well the GPS, WiFi, Cell, Apps, Mobile Sites, camera and ipod all worked together.

Also you will find countless other GPS apps that are very good.

Found some of my accounts like Discover have a mobile web site.

One last thing, if you want to put movies on it, get a copy of DVDFab Platinum. Coverts DVDs to exactly the right size for the iphone. Movies are awesome on it!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  09:57:58  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Vern, I got the US west water maps-fly by- but found there is NO navigational information in any of my local harbors so I called ITunes and got a refund!
ChrisZ, My son turned me on too. I have 9 pages of apps, 3 which are sailing related. I love my Iphone. Its worth the $30 per month fee.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Oscar
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2030 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  21:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Oscar's Homepage
MAC since 1983..... And yes I have an iphone.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At least with my Buick, I don't have to ship it back to the factory to have the battery changed!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ahh, grashopper. You need to go here:

http://www.ifixit.com

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  05:45:10  Show Profile
I've got a 5 year old Nokia...It makes phone calls.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  06:03:28  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I'll be brave and say that I love my G1 phone (Google Phone on T-Mobile!)

It even runs the AIS site ---- sweet.

Yep, Weather radar, google maps (and all their gadgets), TV, Barcode scanner with auto product lookup on the web.

And that it runs on android is even better.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page