Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Boat Cover Idea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Z
Captain

Member Avatar

452 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/23/2009 :  13:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
I was wondering what thoughts everyone would have on this idea for a winter cover or if anyone has tried it. It looks like it would adjust down in the front and back and has tie downs. I think it would be better then a plastic tarp and wouldn't wear on the hull as much in the wind.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=7512&categoryID=380

Chris Z.
Water Warrior
1982 Force 5

Former Owner Blown Away - C25

Edited by - on

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  14:02:48  Show Profile
Uh, Chris, that's a motorhome, not a sailboat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  14:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
I can't envison it either becuase it's not a "Marine" product therefore twice as expensive.

No seriously I am also thinking along those lines. I need a heavy tarp that is NOT made of plastic because the boat is parked behind my house in the winter and with the winds the plastic flapping around makes too much noise. I'm concerned that over the years the UV rays will dull and change the gelcoat color only to the side facing the sun.

I'm thinking of mounting the mast on the fence and having a tarp specificaly made for my boat. They're not that expensive I believe (and hope).

Edited by - Steve Blackburn on 02/23/2009 14:38:06
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  14:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
Steve,

I am going to go by the local RV dealer here and see if they have any of these in stock that I could look at to see how it adjusts and take some measurements.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  15:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
The problem are the stanchions. You want to cover the whole hull, not just the deck. I was also thinking that a number of smaller rectangular 6 foot X 20 foot would do then bugee them together from underneath the hull. I'm not as concerned about water or snow coming in as much as I am about the sun. But for sure I want the thicker canvas instead of plastic.

the Ideal would be a deck cover that would go about only 2 feet down the sides of the hull. Then another skirt could zipper up the hull. This way you could reuse the top deck part when in your slip, and skirt it up while on the hard.

Edited by - Steve Blackburn on 02/23/2009 15:21:28
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  17:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Why not spend the extra $100 and get one of the canvas garages? Assemble it on knee walls around the boat to get the required height, and still have room to work.

My concern with this setup would be with snow loading on the flat roof. You may find that you need a ridge of some kind to help shed the snow/water.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  17:38:09  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
I assume that Canvas garages are illegal in Calgary since I've never seen one here. The snow is not a problem either since it usualy melts the next day (doesn't have a chance to pile up). The absolute idea would be to build a permenant garage but it would be pretty darn long and take up too much space in my back yard. Would be nice to work on the boat in the winter and have it ready for the spring instead of my usual rushing through my to do list in the Spring.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  21:09:02  Show Profile
This is what I planned for the boat and it ended up being an apartment, 2nd story and my dream shop on the 1st floor. I have power for the boat and motion lights for the storage and shop. It took a lot of time but it sure is nice now. Say that is a motor home and the cover is at least $400 to cover the boat. The neighbor put a tarp garage over his camper and the tarp went over to his other neighbor with the wind. You would have to really secure the unit and use a anchor system that couldn't be dragged into the boat. Winter storage for our boats is a big challenge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  21:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
Now that's the way to do it!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2009 :  21:42:41  Show Profile
I want it... I want it... even 2 ft lower will do!! Way to go

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2009 :  05:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
What I was thinking was putting this cover over my boat just like the plastic one I use today. I would keep the mast up high enough to shed water and snow. Just thinking it would be better then the plastic. I would think I could just draw and extra material under the hull and secure it. The silver tarp I use today seems to be about the same size.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page