Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailering with motor attached??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old Disco Queen
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
66 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/19/2009 :  14:55:11  Show Profile
so fellas,

How many if you trailer with the outboard motor "attached"? Are there any special things you do to keep it stable?

Any pics...up close?

Thanks
Stephen

Stephen J. Moore

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  15:39:22  Show Profile
No problem, tie the mount handle to the aft cleat so the mount cannot release.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  15:51:26  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
My Garelick mount has a heavy duty metal bar/strap that locks it in the up position. The strap is bolted to one side of the mount, and you sort of pop the other end over one of the other bolts making a triangular arrangement. I don't completely trust it even though it's never come loose on the road. I crank down the locking nuts on either side of mount for added security.

With my old OB which was mounted to the transom, I mostly made sure the cowling was securely attached so it wouldn't blow off at freeway speeds.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deric
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  17:23:52  Show Profile
I make sure the motor and mount has extra support. I tie a rope to the cleats, to the motor, and mount. Then I make sure to go slow/easy over bumps and such.

Deric

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  19:25:42  Show Profile
We've trailered thousands of miles with the OB mounted. The highways are less stressful on the OB and boat than a rough day on the water. Maybe Jim Sweet (Sweetcraft) will chime in. He built a neat support that provides additional support for his Honda on his C25.

OK here is a thread with Jim's support system. Alas, the photo has shrunk but you can still see the setup.

[url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16572&SearchTerms=outboard"]OB Trailering[/url]

Edited by - Nautiduck on 04/19/2009 19:29:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page