Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Weeping keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rsholler
Deckhand

Member Avatar

9 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/19/2009 :  18:33:52  Show Profile
Looking for advice. I noticed some rusty lines runnung down the starboard side of the fixed keel of my 1982 C25. Close examination revealed a crack in the casing fibergalss with some flexing of the glass on pressure. This is about halfway down the keel.
i surmise that there was water running down a keel bolt and then froze to fracture the overlying glass.
The keel bolt stubs in the bilge sump are well corroded with the nuts of three about 30% gone. I do not believe any of the five could be torqued even if they didn't break.
Is there anyone who has had this problem and what repair can be done?

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  18:43:18  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Do some searches on the site for keel bolts, you'll find a number of threads. Also, you might want to tap Pat's brain since he just completed this project: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19663

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  19:40:07  Show Profile
Hi Bob... You have a cast iron keel with a gelcoat layer, so the sight of some external rust is pretty much to be expected, and is benign. As you can see, your keel bolts are mild steel (not stainless)--see the very recent post about drilling and tapping to sister in some new stainless bolts. I never did that, but my vintage ('85) had a lead keel with stainless bolts, so I can't comment on that project.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/19/2009 19:40:44
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  22:04:14  Show Profile
Dave -- As far as the keel bolts and nuts on Passage, I checked them last week, and they seem clean. No rust or corrosion. I cannot check for microscopic cracks.

Thankfully that is not an issue.

Can an iron keel rust out completely? It's gotta be pretty large, so I guess it would get a layer of rust on it and that would prevent further rusting.

My old daysailor had a 18 pound steel slab encased in fiberglass as a centerboard that rusted out completely. It caused the centerboard to swell, so it would no longer fit in the centerboard trunk.

I fixed it by cutting the board in 1/2, removing the crust, then replacing the steel with melted lead and sealing it back up. Works great now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page