Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ablative and Swing Keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old Disco Queen
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
66 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/19/2009 :  15:15:34  Show Profile
So...dumb question...

I have stripped the swing keel and am ready to put on the ablative paint...do i need to put rustoleum on the swing keel before the ablative?

your thought are as usual invaluable

Stephen

Stephen J. Moore

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  15:35:04  Show Profile
There is an entire procedure and timeline to follow if you do not want rust to bubble up under your paint. It involves acid then special cast iron sealer within minutes and then fairing and barrier coat with bottom paint as the final step. For most people it is better to just paint it and know you will need to deal with rust periodically and move on. This was my keel after one season in freshwater, I skipped the acid, fairing, and barrier. I soda blasted and immediately applied a caste iron sealer, then paint.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deric
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2009 :  17:30:40  Show Profile
When I worked on my keel, I removed as much of the rust and coating. I used rust fixative, then epoxied over pits and
dents, then barrier coat, and then Micron extra. After one season, I spent ten minutes removing some rust spots, and the barrier coat and then Micron extra.

Perhaps, as Frank mentions, the cast iron sealer would have been the better method to mitigate against rust.

Deric

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KiteKraemer
Navigator

Members Avatar

191 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:05:46  Show Profile  Visit KiteKraemer's Homepage
Wow. That's a bunch of steps... I just sanded and painted mine over the weekend. I'll post some pics tonight..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2009 :  11:33:13  Show Profile
Copper-based bottom paint directly on cast iron will promote rust--galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals. I suspect "[url="http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=40"]Rust Reformer[/url]" is another name for what Deric calls "fixative"--it's a somewhat acidic compound that turns rust and bare iron or steel black, and dries as a clear coating that can be painted. I've used it on a few things--I'd probably have tried it to prime an iron keel, although mine was encapsulated lead.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/20/2009 11:36:56
Go to Top of Page

Deric
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2009 :  15:28:41  Show Profile
Dave,

You are correct in the use of the term "fixative" as I noted above. Interestingly, I learned of the term and
application from this website - - a year ago.

Deric

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page