Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 non sailing land cruise - help needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimB517
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/21/2009 :  09:59:57  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
Hi the Baumgart family is planning to rent an RV and drive up the coast to San Francisco this August.

Knowing that we have members all over, I'd like advice on the following, where to find recommended RV parks in the following areas:

(1) Santa Barbara
(2) Morro Bay - San Luis Obispo
(3) Monterrey
(4) and finally the SF area

We are thinking to take a car to get around in SF.

Indiscipline 1978 FK SR #398

Edited by - on

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2009 :  10:19:22  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
Jim,

When Fort Ord closed there was a plan to establish a state park on the site which would contain a 60 to 110 site camp ground. It's a beach front park on Monterey Bay. Might be worth it to check it out.

I spent 4.5 wonderful years at the Fort in the early 80's.

Good luck on your trip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2009 :  11:01:31  Show Profile
Incredible drive! Have you been to the Hearst Castle in San Simeon?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2009 :  12:32:55  Show Profile
Big Sur

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2009 :  12:49:29  Show Profile
Jim, Some of Leslie and my favorite parks when we worked in the Bay Area were Big Basin Redwoods, Butano and Ano Nuevo north of Santa Cruz. One great thing about northern CA is that all beaches have public access even if you have to pass through a broccoli field to get to it - great biking along the bluffs just north of Santa Cruz - almost guaranteed you will have the place to yourselves... except for the local wildlife (sea lions and elephant seals). About an hour north of SC and just off Highway 1 is the village of Pescadero. The old stage coach inn ([url="http://www.duartestavern.com/"]Duarte's[/url])is <i>awesome</i>. The cioppino is incredible(1 order serves 2) as are the soups and pies...and real sour-dough bread....not the wimp stuff we see here on the east coast. Sit down or order as take out and head back to the beach. Wonderful.

Sounds like you've got the makings of another real adventure ahead of you. Have fun!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2009 :  13:43:21  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
Sounds great, keep em coming. Karen wants to go up to Napa on a wine tasting tour (she does not drink). I'll have to taste for two.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2009 :  21:28:57  Show Profile
We just spent 2 weeks in the Monterey, Half Moon Bay and Point Sur area in the RV. Made reservations for the first night and then explored and asked questions and moved to other RV parks with no reservations but this could have been the timing. Used the California State Parks Guide and www.parks.ca.gov. Joined the free reservation site http://www.reserveamerica.com/ and picked up a copy of Camp California at Camping World. It has this site: www.Camp-California.com.

Stayed at Marina Dunes RV park at Marina which is 4+ miles north of Monterey. Great beach and views. The freeways are extremely rough and lots of drivers that can't stay behind an RV but I took all the turn outs and most waved. Highway 1 is slow but very spectacular and can close with a mud slide if it rains. Hope you have a great trip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2009 :  21:33:32  Show Profile
Oh, yes the wine tasting Aug 22-23 at Bodega Bay (www.winecountryfestival.com). Napa and Sonoma wine tasting every day. They are 9 miles apart.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KenDavis
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:48:20  Show Profile
Hi Jim,
sounds like a great trip. if you're into such things, there is a great vintage automobile race weekend at Laguna Seca in Monterey Aug 14-16. I believe Laguna Seca is on the site of the old Ft. Ord that someone mentioned. It is a pretty area and has rv hook ups at the track.

trying to post a link;
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/Rolex_Monterey_Historic_Automobile_Races

also +1 on Napa vinyards, and the coastal redwoods. N.Cali is freakin awesome!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2009 :  15:19:41  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
The trip will be Aug. 2 - Aug. 11.

Taking my daughter on 2 campus tours in SF is mandatory. Everything else is up for discussion. I'd really like to go to Napa and also the coastal redwoods.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Cloudveil
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
60 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2009 :  10:21:48  Show Profile
Jim - For Morro Bay/SLO area, try either Pismo Beach State park, or
private Pismo Beach RV park. State park has no hookups, Pismo RV does.
Both are on the beach at Pismo, within easy walking distance from
the pier, shops, eats, etc. Or- north of Morro at San Simeon State
Park, close to Hearst Castle. We take our RV to Pismo a lot (3 hrs
from our home by Yosemite.) If you get on hwy 1 north of Morro bay,
be sure to stop at the little town of HARMONY. Great winery, pottery shops, etc. Have a great trip - John

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2009 :  10:31:47  Show Profile
There is an RV park in downtown SF, near the CalTrain station. I would suggest DO NOT use it. Not a great area, although now near the ballpark, but it's not gotten any even 'fair' reviews over the years -- kinda rough around the edges and all the way in, if you get my drift. Sorry, don't know of any good ones in the City, so it would be best to stay outside and car or public transportation into town.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  09:34:10  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
We've decided instead to rent a tent trailer, pull it with my V8 Explorer, and that way we can leave it in a campsite and drive into the city.

Much cheaper.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2009 :  13:07:46  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
Well we bought a 1985 21 foot pop up tent trailer for $1500.

The vacation is booked: Gaviota State Beach west of Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, and Henrey Cowell State Park in the redwoods then home via Santa Barbara. We won't have time to go into San Francisco on this trip.

The trailer is in decent condition, seems HUGE compared to the boat. I can stand up inside. I'll post pictures later. Most boat fixing skills I can apply to the trailer - systems are very similar.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page