Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 internet AIS viewer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KenDavis
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/29/2009 :  12:57:48  Show Profile
Here is a link to something pretty cool.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

internet viewer of the AIS system in real time.

I haven't spent much time with it yet. It shows ships in large port areas, but I don't see any in my local area.

could be used by an iphone or web phone, and no AIS receiver needed.

C25 87 SR/WK
ANABELLA
Pensacola Fl

Edited by - on

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  14:37:04  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Ken, nice program. I loaded on my IPhone and now when I sail to Catalina Island, I can check the shipping lanes. Tks.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  16:09:51  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Okay - This is a bit off your topic but recently used that website:

A couple of months ago, I was using that link and one or two addl ones on a regular basis. I had ordered a 2009 Mini Cooper S Clubman. The MiniUSA website provides the VIN number of your vehicle once the parts are being grouped together and production is about to start. Then thru the production, the MINIUSA website provides info as to what step your vehicle is up to in production and when eventually dropped off at the Southampton, UK dock awaiting loading.

The below website explains in the first bunch posts under "1st Gear" how to get started with all this tracking and then how to track the freighter that is coming to pick up your MINI and perhaps 5000+ additional ones. The second link below is similar to your link but is focused in on the Southampton docking area. many track as their car is loaded by viewing the freighter's VIN Number list. Using that website, you can actually find the freighter and see what speed it is making toward the dock and then it's departure as well. But once it goes into the Atlantic, it's lost at sea until it gets close to the USA and then you pick it up again. Takes about 10 days voyage.

These days, you can pretty much pinpoit the arrival date of when your car arrives at the USA port and then it's usually several days longer before it arrives at the dealership. Anyway, it was pretty neat tracking my MINI this way.
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/index.php

http://www.ais-live.co.uk/AIS%20Live/aissouthampton.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  20:38:04  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Way cool!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  04:58:52  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Enjoy!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  10:07:38  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I had an idea similar to this a few months back, to incorporate shore based radar into a real-time viewer like this. This will do most of what I intended, give someone w/o radar the ability to see what's going on out there with their laptop & WiFi or web enabled phone. I'll be experimenting with this with one of my laptops on the boat. Crossing the shipping lanes twice per trip is almost a given, plus the ferries. With this if we're fogged in we'll be able to see who's out there (albeit only AIS enabled), but it's better than eyes & ears alone.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  10:40:22  Show Profile
What a cool site. Thanks! Doesn't seem to cover the Bering Sea. I'd like to be able to track my favorite Most Dangerous Catch vessels.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 05/30/2009 10:43:02
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  11:19:46  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I think you mean "Deadliest Catch" and I don't think they're at sea right now. I think King season is in October/November, and Opilio is January? I know the Northwestern was here in Seattle just a few weeks ago, I saw Sig Hanson on the news about something.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  15:22:07  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
For us 'web viwers' there is an issue.

I think the web view only updates every 2 minutes.

Down here in south florida, 2 mins is about half a mile! (the ciggarette boats go faster!)

Ferries et.al. don't travel so fast, so 2mins might be ok.

How often does the AIS onboard refresh????

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2009 :  08:03:18  Show Profile
Right, Deadliest Catch! I did see on the AIS site a fishing boat heading out of Seattle yesterday headed to Dutch Harbor!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page