Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Another towing question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NautiC25
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/25/2009 :  19:44:48  Show Profile
My GF's dream car is a Toyota Sequoia. I want to use it only for pulling the C25 out of the lake and parking it 100 yards away. We can't afford the 08+, so we have to settle for the 01 model that has a towing capacity of 6500lbs. I know that's cutting it close, but it's such a short distance....

4.7L V8
240hp / 315tq

I'm a car guy (not trucks), so towing capacity is relatively new to me. How do they determine capacity? Is there anything you can do to improve a vehicles towing capacity?

What about traction? It's a 2wd with "traction & stability control". Will I have problems on ramps?

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/toyota/sequoia/100001875/specs.html

BTW, anyone deal with Carmax? How fixed are they on their prices?

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas

Edited by - NautiC25 on 05/25/2009 19:51:01

Ed Cassidy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
365 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2009 :  20:25:56  Show Profile
You should have no problems. I don't think I would tow it cross country but 100 yards or even 100 miles shouldn't be a problem. I moved ours around easily with a 3.5 liter V-6 Isuzu trooper, even pulling it out on a steep ramp.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2009 :  20:38:48  Show Profile
^^^ Wow, lol. That definately makes me feel better. I didn't think a small V6 could pull something like that.

Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2009 :  20:43:45  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I took ours to the marina (11 km, about 8 miles on country roads) with a Chevy Astro. I will never do that again. I'm glad I lived, and didn't hurt anyone else. The Astro is rated for 5500 lbs.

I don't know the sequoia well, but I think it was Toyota's answer to the Suburban, which others have said is adequate for the job.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

fpill
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  06:11:16  Show Profile
I would be careful with a <b>2001</b> Sequoia.

I have own a 2001 Limited 4x4 myself, and there are some maintenance issues.

One being the computer chip that the Sequoia shares with the Tundra of the same year. The Tundra was recalled, but the Sequoia was not. It is about $2K to fix.

Overall my wife and I love the Sequoia, but you should be aware of the problems.

Many of these problems were solved by 2003 if that is an option.

Look on this site for more information:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-sequoia/

The traction and stability control actually cuts power to the spinning wheels. It will keep you from sliding off the road, but may not help pull the boat from the water on a slippery incline. (although I have not tried)
In 4 wheel drive I can turn off the "TSC", but not in 2 wheel drive.

I have used my sequoia to drive on the beach, and it excels at that. I have seen many other trucks stuck spinning wheels. The only time I thought I was in trouble I put it into 4 low and drove right out of the soft sand.

Thanks for asking this question, I have always wondered if the Sequoia could tow a Cat 25. I wish I had more info for you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  06:41:22  Show Profile
^^^Thanks for the info. I did a little reading on that site last night. I saw the lack of braking power, but that could be resolved with upgraded brakes, or at the least better pads and vented rotors. I didn't see the ECU problem though. If I do have problems with it, I bet I could find another at a decent price and swap it out myself.

I wouldn't mind having the 4x4, but it will mostly be driven in town, so hopefully it won't be necessary.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  06:48:18  Show Profile
"Towing capacity" has to do with things like braking power, transmission cooling, wheelbase (for directional stability), and a few others that I don't think will matter much to go 100 yards as long as you don't hit 70 mph along the way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mlg3733
Navigator

Members Avatar

118 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  07:12:07  Show Profile
Last year I used my 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0 to take the boat to the marina (About 12 miles) at no more than 30 miles per hour and on mainly flat roads. I would not dare pulling it out of the water even in four wheel drive though, which I did with my previous Cat 22. Even with new tires, it would be a challenge and not worth the price of damaging the transmission. This year I rented a Uhaul truck at the cost of $48, money well spent.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Unsinkable2
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
273 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  09:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Unsinkable2's Homepage
I've done a lot of towing with different vehicles pulling travel trailers and my boat. There are 2 potential problems with 2 wheel drive vehicles on ramps.

First has to do with front wheel drive rigs. There is a lot of weight on your back end, which tends to lift the weight off the front wheels so the vehicle loses a lot of traction. (Learned this lesson on a steep gravel mountain pass in a minivan and had to back 1/2 mile before I could turn around)

Second has to do with ramp conditions. If it's a busy day the ramp it will be wet from all the boats pulling out. Wet ramps can be pretty slippery if you don't have 4 wheels pulling. Also, some ramps have a lot of algae growing on them just below the water line - they are REALLY slick. If you have a rear-wheel 2wd drive rig and put your back wheels under the water, you might end up launching more than your boat...

One rule we always follow is that everyone gets out of the tow vehicle before we get on the ramp, and as the driver, I open my window and take off my seatbelt just in case I need to get out in a hurry.

I concur with what everyone has said about the distance you are towing - 100 yards won't tax the limits of that rig. Gosh, I bet Charles Atlas could pull a Catalina 100 yards with a towrope in his teeth... :)

Edited by - Unsinkable2 on 05/26/2009 09:58:34
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  09:30:58  Show Profile
The Sequoia should have no problem with the haul-out and the short towing distance, but rent a truck for over the road towing. Good to know a Trooper will pull a C25 out of the water okay. We have one, which we use to haul the C22.
I've had very good experience with Carmax. I bought a 2002 Grand Caravan from them several years ago, at an excellent price. Out of 4 minivans we've owned, this one has been the best, with currently 141k miles on it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  11:45:04  Show Profile
You should be fine for the ramp and 100 yards. Our 1999 Yukon is also rated for 6500 lbs (has all the towing packages) and is not really adequate for highway towing of the boat. I would not put much $ into a 2001 vehicle to improve its towing capability. Get your GF to dream about a 3/4 ton pickup truck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  22:02:11  Show Profile
You can take a bag of sand with you to combat algae on the ramp, but you will be fine. 4x4 is a nice thing, but a lot of towing was done with RWD before 4x4 became common. FWD is not such a good thing. I pulled a 2500 pound boat/trailer out of the water and home with a Mitsubishi Colt Vista once - smoking tires on the ramp and I had no desire to go above 40 - 45 mph for 15 miles.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

David Scott
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
74 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  20:13:25  Show Profile
Make sure you have it in LOW gear not drive and when you pull out don't stop on ramp...just keep going at lower speed not fast or you may start spinning your tires....you can do it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2009 :  18:48:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mlg3733</i>
<br />Last year I used my 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0 to take the boat to the marina (About 12 miles) at no more than 30 miles per hour and on mainly flat roads. I would not dare pulling it out of the water even in four wheel drive though, which I did with my previous Cat 22. Even with new tires, it would be a challenge and not worth the price of damaging the transmission. This year I rented a Uhaul truck at the cost of $48, money well spent.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Do you remember what size truck you rented and what size ball it had on the back?

Edited by - GaryB on 05/28/2009 18:49:25
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  07:03:24  Show Profile
Be careful about truck rentals. Some have limitations in their rental agreement as to hauling weight. I would bet that most Uhaul trucks with trailer hitches use a 2" ball. A good vehicle to rent, if available in your area, is a 12 passenger van with towing package, like what a church choir or mission group would rent needing to haul a trailer full of equipment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

At Ease
Admiral

Members Avatar

672 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  15:34:38  Show Profile
Don't pay any attention to the "towing capacity" you read on web sites, brochures, etc.

The correct formual for towing capacity is the tow vehicle's GCWR minus the weight of the tow vehicle when ready to tow...the answer is the number for which you are looking.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  17:08:05  Show Profile
GCWR is not usually listed on the door sticker of passenger vehicles, but it is usually in the owner's manual with specifations on required equipment. I know things can get a little iffy in the truck world with many things implied but not stated, but it's less rampant in the SUV market. My Jeep's advertised rating is the same as the calculated.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mlg3733
Navigator

Members Avatar

118 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2009 :  18:53:23  Show Profile
"Do you remember what size truck you rented and what size ball it had on the back?"
I rented the basic model with a V8 engine, they are set up with a 2" ball and 4 wires hookup.

Edited by - mlg3733 on 05/29/2009 18:53:56
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  08:09:24  Show Profile
I tried to rent from U-haul when I bought my boat. They told me they wouldn't allow me to rent anything to pull it. I sure wouldn't test the insurance policy with that one.

As it turned out, it was probably a good idea to let somebody else move it. I contacted a local RV dealer and they hauled it about 175 miles for $250.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2009 :  08:52:37  Show Profile
U-haul is very restrictive; try the mor industrial oriented ones like Penske etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page