Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Dock Power Pedestal vs Portable Generator
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

watercayman
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Cayman Islands
49 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:03:36  Show Profile
Hi Folks,

Just took the plunge after many years of dreaming. Quite happy so far with our C250 and having a blast. Thank you all for the wonderful advice on the site (which I think I've read several hundred pages of over the last several months!).

Maybe a silly question, but looking for opinions. We have the boat docked on a piece of land we own. Relatively safe neighborhood - but we're not ready to build a house yet. We will be putting in water supply to the dock as soon as possible. The question is, should I set up a power pedestal or just buy one of those tiny 900 watt generators that I can then also bring with me on the boat or use anywhere?

Appears the price for the pedestal and the generator are about the same, but the pedestal will have the additional cost of install. Power co will charge me about $10 / month just to have the service + usage.

I have a solar charger on the boat, so the power supply would mainly be for occasional needs like vacuuming or power tools.

Our sailing consists of dailsails only - no overnights on the boat (it never drops below about 80+ degrees - even at night here).

Any thoughts?

Mike

Mike Barrowman

Beneteau 311
P/O 1999 Catalina 250WK - #414
Cayman Islands

Edited by - on

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:42:00  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new 250! I'd really want both, and have both available to me at my dock. I rarely use the generator, mostly use the 110ac. Still, for a day anchored at the sandbar a (smallish, quiet)generator is good thing!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  11:57:28  Show Profile
Welcome, Mike. After about a zillion years of combined generator use and real world use and testing, about the only generators that have measured up to marine use have been the Honda EU 1000 and 2000.

Here are a few discussions, and you can find more by using the search engine on our C34 Message Board typing in Honda.

Basics & Features: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4861.0.html

Trying other brands to save $$: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4394.0.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  13:42:47  Show Profile
Air conditioning? Get the shorepower.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SailCO26
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
457 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  14:54:54  Show Profile  Visit SailCO26's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by watercayman</i>
<br />Our sailing consists of dailsails only - no overnights on the boat (it never drops below about 80+ degrees - even at night here).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
+1 on the AC ped. Doesnt sound like you'd get that much use out of the portability of a gen set. The idea of daysailing is to get away from stuff like that!

My $0.02.
Jim

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

watercayman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Cayman Islands
49 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  17:54:48  Show Profile
All good advice - thanks much.

I think we'll go with the AC ped and perhaps think about the genset later on down the road. Jim's comment on trying to get away from all that is pretty spot on!

Great links there Stu - was actually considering trying out one of the cheaper ones (figured at about 1/3 the cost it couldn't hurt) till I read through them. Thank you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  06:55:12  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I have the Honda 1000. It's very good but not large enough to power even the smaller BTU carryon 5000 a/c so if and when you get one that's something to consider. Looks like you have a fantastic place to sail down there. Kind of surprised that with the large seemingly protected bay/lagoon you have that you're not hooking up the a/c and doing overnighters

Edited by - DaveR on 02/05/2010 07:05:24
Go to Top of Page

watercayman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Cayman Islands
49 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  12:35:44  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

Yes, the North Sound is a good place to sail. As you said, it's protected + it's relatively uniform depth at about 8 - 12 feet. Only problem is that this is not a sailing island - not many sailboats here b/c there aren't a lot of 'destinations'. We can do a stingray city sandbar trip, or head over to one of two Sound restaurants, but nowhere truly caters to anything but a lunch docking. For me, it's more about the sail itself, thus the purchase of the boat.

I do like the idea of eventually getting a portable a/c unit and trying to do a few overnights... Later on, though. Right now, concentrating on getting used to the boat and some less significant upgrades / mods. However, your advice on the small Honda is quite valuable - I'll have to carefully investigate what's available for both ac and generator units when I get ready.

Kind regards,
Mike

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SailCO26
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
457 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  12:58:05  Show Profile  Visit SailCO26's Homepage
As of the current technology, plan on a minimum of 1500w gen for AC.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

watercayman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Cayman Islands
49 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  13:42:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SailCO26</i>
<br />As of the current technology, plan on a minimum of 1500w gen for AC.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gotcha. Guess that would mean the Honda 2000i would work. Not excited about hefting 46lbs each time though.

Well - this will be a future project. Maybe tech will improve a bit in that time. I also saw a few people who put in the 'real' system (mermaid 5200 btu model, I think) with some success.

I have to laugh - I went into this thread thinking of one thing and come out with a real desire for a/c, which was never on my mind!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  14:30:25  Show Profile
I'm kinda surprised Paul (BritinUSA) hasn't chimed in. Doesn't he have real marine A/C on JD?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  13:48:55  Show Profile
I would probably go for the pedestal for 1) not so easy to steal, 2) useful for trickle charger and dehumidifier and A/C and automatic bilge pump and dock lights, and 3) practically no maintenance or depreciation or wear out or lugging it about.

Edited by - jbkayaker on 02/09/2010 13:49:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page