Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Best Marine Consignment Stores in the US
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/09/2010 :  06:24:24  Show Profile
OK, we went to Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale and wow, what a disappointment. We've been to Sailors Exchange in St. Augustine - good stuff, cheap prices on lots on practical stuff. Bacons in Annapolis - hands down winner, and Columbia Marine Exchange in Portland OR. Sailorman is supposed to be the best of the best, and this is the first time I have ever walked out of one of these places without spending a penny, let alone a dime. Prices for used stuff was outrageous - some of it priced higher than the value of the product new, and really a lot of crap. Granted, they had some "helpful" salespeople who probably drum up more business thru intimidation than product selection - who knows?

Are there any other good marine consignment stores I should put of the gotta go and see list?

sten

Edited by - redviking on 02/09/2010 06:29:21

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:42:36  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Sten, we have NOTHING in Daytona and I wasn't aware of the St. Augustine store, thanks for that. Maybe the prices stink in Lauderdale cause you're in the land of the 10 million dollar home (& boat), I don't know. But what I do know is that the east coast of FL isn't very sailboat friendly. I hear the (FL) west coast is much better.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  08:48:54  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Second Wave in Seattle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  13:03:58  Show Profile
[url="http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/"]Minney's[/url] in Costa Mesa, CA just north of Newport Beach.

I thought Bacon's was great, but Minney's has 4x more stuff in each category, if you can believe that, Sten.

Minney's has hundreds of milk crates on shelves with separated sailboat parts. They have display cases with "high-end stuff" like the blocks I looked at, and other rooms full of big equipment and big parts. 2 floors. Many, many sails. Everything...cheap!

The reason is apparently that they have pieced-out a bunch of salvaged boats, instead of sailors doing some spring cleaning and getting rid of a few parts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  13:19:38  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
John, thanks for those accolades. Living in Costa Mesa, I can say w/o a doubt the Minney's is THE BEST. Glad to hear an outsider agrees. Besides having anything you want at great prices, during the summer there is a 1/2 mile long garage sale on site that will blow your mind that buyers come from miles to attend.
Not only is it one of my favorite stores but the admiral loves it as well and has gotten many items for the house and back yard there. In fact I bet she has spent more than me!
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  16:26:53  Show Profile
Thanks! I'm gonna have to convince the wifey to go thru the canal just to go to Mineys... I just kept walking around SailorMan going WTF??? My wife dragged me out of there before I engaged the staff. Truly the most disappointing experience ever given all of the hoopla.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page