Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Big Races coming up!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimB517
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/09/2010 :  22:32:56  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
Hey, I've been doing the Southwestern Yacht Club Cabrillo 4-race series of offshore races on a Catalina 36 that's in the San Diego All Catalina Association. I missed Cabrillo 1, a race around the Coronado Islands. 32 miles total. Our boat took 1st in class. We just did the Sugarloaf Rock race, which is a run 31 miles south into Mexico, around a rock off Rosarita Beach, then a beat back. This year was a spin run down and a tough beat back, finishing at 1 AM and netting 2nd in class. 62.5 miles total in 14 hours. Full foulies, boots, gloves, fleece, long underwear, the works! Cabrillo 3 and 4 are in March. Cabrillo 3 is another run down into Mexico and back, a little shorter than Cabrillo 2 and Cabrillo 4 is a windward - leeward course offshore in the Coronado roads. I believe these races are the toughest test of a boat and crew in San Diego ocean racing.

Also in March today I landed a ride in the Islands Race.

http://www.islandsrace.com/

This is a 129 mile race that takes you up to about 75 miles offshore. Long Beach to San Diego leaving Catalina Island and San Clemente Island to port. I'll be on a Columbia 30 (much like the boat I attempted to deliver last year back from Cabo). This boat rates about 65 and will plane off the wind an see speeds in the mid teens.

I wish I had my own boat capable of being competitive in these types of ocean races but this is the best I can do. Long Beach - Cabo not going to happen. Meanwhile I am Race Officer in the San Diego All Catalina Association and will be giving my best shot to winning the season in Indiscipline, plus preparing for a National Championship in the C25 Nationals.

Indiscipline 1978 FK SR #398

Edited by - JimB517 on 02/09/2010 22:35:15

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:00:57  Show Profile
Jim,

Being on-the-hard here in Pittsburgh with 20" (and growing) of snow - it's certainly fun to hear about your racing experiences . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:42:11  Show Profile
"I'll be on a Columbia 30 (much like the boat I attempted to deliver last year back from Cabo). This boat rates about 65 and will plane off the wind an see speeds in the mid teens."

What year and model Columbia 30 are you talking about with a PHRF of 65 ? That seems very fast for the 30ish racer/cruiser boats I am finding on http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sailboats/Columbia .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:47:25  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
The Columbia 30, now stretched to a 32, is a full on carbon fiber, bow sprit, sport boat.

Look here http://www.columbiayachts.com/index.php

and here from my trip last year

http://www.indiscipline.org/cat25/cabo09.html

I'll be on the boat VTac.

I got Uncontrollable Urge up to about 14 knots off Cabo Falso downwind in 20 knots and 6 foot seas, at night. It broached like a beach ball several times.

This <i>should</i> be a downwind, reaching race, very favorable to an asym sport boat that can plane.

Edited by - JimB517 on 02/10/2010 14:50:40
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:51:50  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
I have photos from Sugarloaf Rock but I have to solve a computer issue before I can post them for you all.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2010 :  15:12:55  Show Profile
Columbia 30: $99,000 Dealer Cost

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page