Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sliding Hatch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ed_spengeman
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
98 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:57:40  Show Profile
I know we discussed this but I couldn't find it with a search.

I removed the teak holding the hatch on for some stripping and varnish. I found that about eight inches of the flan ge on each side of the hatch had cracked along the fold. My thought is to clean the lip and apply a thickened West paste to form a fillet along the break. I would also put small teflon pads on each side at the header. My friend pointed out that, when standing on the hatch, the weight on the one end would now be supported by the tab thus stressing the hatch somewhat. I called West and they thought it would work. I am not considering glassing it because I haven't experience along those lines YET.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I'd rather be sailing!

ed spengeman
Indianapolis (geist)
Port Captain
Palakida
83 tr/sk

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2010 :  14:40:54  Show Profile
I have the same cracks. They were there when I bought my boat 3yrs ago and really haven't changed in that time so I am going to leave well enough alone.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2010 :  15:41:37  Show Profile
I faced the same issue. I believe the design is intended to put the weight on the two molded ridges on the pop-top, not on the flanges. The flanges are intended (I believe) to hold the hatch in place--not to support it.) I bought some nylon chair slides with rubber cups on the backs. I cut some slots in the cups, to fit on the forward edge of the hatch--one above each ridge. (The aft edge rode smoothly on the teak brow on the same ridges.) The hatch slid much more easily, without the loud SQUAWK, and the flanges are safe and should stop wearing. Let's see if they're still working on Bruce "Voyager" Ross's boat.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/09/2010 15:45:08
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2010 :  14:30:39  Show Profile
I happened to take a closer inspection of my hatch today and Dave, you are absolutely right. It seems through the years the hatch and the front teak (the piece with the handle) wear down to the point where the fiberglass flanges on the sides start to rub and take the load of walking on it thus cracking the flanges. Very good Dave. Thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:22:19  Show Profile
We were facing the same situation with our 1981 C25. It appeared that both surfaces, the flange of the hatch and the slot in the teak had worn. If we had kept the boat we had plans to add fiberglass to the flange and a thin piece of teak in the slot . . . and lubricate with beeswax thereafter.

Haven't been able to picture the nylon chair slides in my mind yet - though it sounds like a viable solution!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2010 :  19:11:43  Show Profile
I wish I had a photo that showed the slides in place... The ridges are obvious, with cutouts in the forward rim of the hatch to fit over them. I found that the squawking problem came from the hatch edge against the ridges--not from the flanges in the teak rails. The slides lifted the flanges just enough to eliminate the load on them and put in to the vertical edge, which is much more capable of carrying it. The hatch worked like a dream thereafter.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/11/2010 19:12:38
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:04:06  Show Profile
Re-glass the flanges to repair and use this to shim the hatch so it will slide smoothly. This stuff should stop any future wear.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-4492-japanese-glide-tape.aspx

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2010 :  23:52:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br /> . . . Re-glass the flanges to repair and use this to shim the hatch so it will slide smoothly. This stuff should stop any future wear . . .

http://www.apsltd.com/c-4492-japanese-glide-tape.aspx
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Wow, Gary, great find! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2010 :  07:12:53  Show Profile
I've heard from someone on another forum that after you add this tape the hatch will slide very easily and could flip out from under you if you're standing on it so please be careful.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2010 :  20:00:10  Show Profile
Dave,
I've been away for a while (Vegas). The teflon slidey things vanished eventually, so I'm afraid the hatch is sliding on its flanges. I check them periodically, and at some point, will glass them over again.

I do apply bar soap to the bottom of the flanges periodically, and that acts like a lubricant. You can also use spray on silicone.

Responding to GaryB's comment about the cover slipping, I never stand on the cover. I found out the hard way that it moves when you least expect it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2010 :  20:51:24  Show Profile
Bruce--IMHO you can add fiberglass to the flanges, but they simply aren't engineered to support the hatch--particularly if somebody steps on it. (You don't build a house with 2x10 floor joists lying flat under the floor--you put them upright.) The only thing that keeps the flanges from breaking off is the hatch's contact points with the two raised rails. Lifting the hatch at those contact points with something that will slide will take the stress off the flanges and stop their wear. If you lift the hatch slightly, as I did with the nylon sliders, so it's supported at the forward edge, like it is on aft edge by the teak arch riding on the two rails, the flanges won't be stressed, and the hatch slides smoothly without squawking. It doesn't need lubrication--you want it to stay where you put it.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/13/2010 20:53:29
Go to Top of Page

johnmcb
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  17:36:50  Show Profile
I removed the port teak rail and pulled the hatch. I was surprised find that a relatively small edge of the hatch rode on the fiberglass rail on the pop top. I glued some paint stir sticks to the hatch to create a larger area for the hatch to ride on. I then put penetrating epoxy on the stir sticks and the glide tape referred to above on top of that. Hatch now works like a dream and no more screech noise. If I can figure out how to add photos, I will. Thanks for the link to the glide tape.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:17:48  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />Dave,
I've been away for a while (Vegas). The teflon slidey things vanished eventually, so I'm afraid the hatch is sliding on its flanges. I check them periodically, and at some point, will glass them over again.

I do apply bar soap to the bottom of the flanges periodically, and that acts like a lubricant. You can also use spray on silicone.

Responding to GaryB's comment about the cover slipping, I never stand on the cover. I found out the hard way that it moves when you least expect it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I don't stand on mine either. No point in stressing the hatch flanges. I was just passing along what I had heard on another forum so no one has an accident.. Apparently some people much lighter than myself do occasionally stand on their hatch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  16:02:34  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
I've never liked the main hatch slide design from day one. When it showed signs of wear I glassed the flanges with a thick layer of matt, then sanded smooth. It's thick enough to support some weight, It works about as well as it's ever going to.

Edited by - aeckhart on 12/11/2010 16:03:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page