Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Do You Use POPTOP?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

seabreeze
Deckhand

Member Avatar

18 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/12/2010 :  07:52:33  Show Profile
I have a 1982 swing keel standard rig that does not have the pop-top. I am selling it now hopefully to get a Catalina 30. I would like to know how much you guys with the poptop really use it. I have gotten used to mine and don't know if I would want the poptop??
http://catalina.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&Itemid=255&page=showad&adid=10798

Jim
C-25, 1982, SR,SK

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  10:18:40  Show Profile
Some use it alot, and others, not so much. I used mine alot at first, especially when cruising, but later didn't use it much, because I raced it mostly, and didn't stay on it overnight so much.

The pop top is the boat's biggest vulnerability in bad weather. It could easily be torn off in a rollover or by a breaking wave, leaving the boat open and susceptible to filling with water. A boat without a pop top would be much preferred, if sailing in less sheltered waters.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  10:23:15  Show Profile
If you are getting a C30, it ceases to be an issue. We use our poptop nearly every time we go to the lake.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  12:43:45  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">I am lucky enough to stay on Peregrine 3-4 days a week and the pop-top is up the entire time I am on the mooring.
If it is going to rain for a short time I'll drop it but if the weather is cold and rainy for a longer period I use the pop-top cover.</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  13:10:24  Show Profile
We lifted it a lot when in the slip or on the hook--<i>never, ever</i> under way. It made the cabin so much more airy and accommodating--like a different boat. We never used the vinyl enclosure even once--later I removed most of the snaps from the cabintop because they were starting to fall off. I planned on adding the gas strut kit from Catalina Direct--that sucker is <i>heavy</i>--but sold the boat before getting a round tuit.

To Steve's point, I also thought seriously about adding two more "dogs" inside to hold it down, but we never put the boat in a situation where a roll-over was remotely likely. (Here again is the line between a blue-water boat and a coastal cruiser.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/12/2010 13:15:05
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  15:50:28  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I use the pop top occasionally. Oftentimes, it is when sleeping onboard. I have a screen mesh left over from the days when my son was in boy scouts and it coincidentally is the exact size needed to cover the entire pop top area preventing flying insects from entering during overnighters. Never sail with pop top up as that is not a recommended mode of operation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhinton
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
123 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  16:14:51  Show Profile
We also use the pop top a whole lot. If we are on the boat at the dock or the mooring, the pop top is up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  19:14:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />I have a screen mesh left over from the days when my son was in boy scouts and it coincidentally is the exact size needed to cover the entire pop top area preventing flying insects from entering during overnighters.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Larry,

Would you mind providing the dimensions of the mesh screen?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  19:55:09  Show Profile
We've had our C-25 for 3 years and I haven't opened the pop-top even once yet. But, I'm 5'7", the admiral is a bit shorter, and I don't overnight on it much at all.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2010 :  22:46:05  Show Profile
Use it a lot. When we're just on the boat after a sail, my wife likes to read or nap while I fiddle with stuff or polish the deck. The pop-top is great for ventilation. I'm 6' so it helps me a lot. I'm able to move around with it down, of course, but I find my neck and shoulders ache from all that stooping.

It's not so tough to raise when you get a good ooomph to start it off with.

Carlos

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JPS109
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2010 :  08:44:39  Show Profile
I use it when I'm at at the dock, never while sailing. I also use the canvas cover. I't's great for bad or hot weather. I'd include a picture if I could figure out how to add one to my reply.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2010 :  09:12:18  Show Profile
Not while underway but on a hook,ball or at dock, everytime I'm aboard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2010 :  09:52:37  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Gary,

I may go down to the boat this afternoon and if I do, I will try and remember to bring home the mesh so I can provide dimensions. I recall we bought it at a small camping/outdoor sports type store. It was for covering sleeping bags like when sleeping in a Lean-To to prevent mosquitos from feasting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stuff4Toys
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
83 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2010 :  09:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Stuff4Toys's Homepage
Only when I want to stand up! I'm 6'3" ;)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2010 :  10:03:14  Show Profile
Even with putting the cover on, it takes less than 5 min. to rig. I always manage the cover the same way: fold the sides to the middle, the ends over the sides, fold it in half starboard to port while sliding it from under the boom, roll it up from the cockpit. Rigging is laying it on the starboard side of the cabin top from the cockpit and reversing the steps.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Unsinkable2
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
273 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Unsinkable2's Homepage
I use it when overnighting, or when sailing on a hot, mild-wind day. I have a vinyl poptop cover for it which I only used once. We don't get enough rain here that I would need that.
I've found the poptop to be very stable and it really adds a lot of room and ventilation to the boat. In light winds, it really makes sailing more comfortable and I find myself going below more often because its easy to quickly look out and check on things.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2010 :  19:37:53  Show Profile
I use it on the slip, especially when having guests on board. In a fresh breeze, it changes the air in a few minutes. When it's hot & sunny, you can cool the cabin off by 10 degrees very quickly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2010 :  15:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I use it to air out the boat, especially when it is unbearably hot, or on the first dry day after a rainy spell.

Also, if you mix drinks in teh galley, its easy to pass them to the foredeck when the pop-top is up - AND LOCKED IN PLACE.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skrenz
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
351 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2010 :  15:52:53  Show Profile
We use it all the time. When we bought the boat the vinyl enclosure was not included so we made one with close-able windows with screens. We sail on an inland lake and only raise the poptop at dock, never while underway. I'm only 5' 9" but even so, the poptop makes living on board so much nicer and with our windows provides great ventilation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2010 :  17:10:19  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skrenz</i>
<br />We use it all the time. When we bought the boat the vinyl enclosure was not included so we made one with close-able windows with screens. We sail on an inland lake and only raise the poptop at dock, never while underway. I'm only 5' 9" but even so, the poptop makes living on board so much nicer and with our windows provides great ventilation.
You wouldn't happen to have a template or the measurements would you? I'd like to make one for my '89. I realize the dimensions are not the same but it would give me a place to start. Any pictures, I'd like to see how you did the close-able windows and teh screens?

Edited by - GaryB on 09/14/2010 17:11:39
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2010 :  20:22:49  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Gary, In an earlier posting of yours in this thread, you asked for the dimensions of the mosquito netting I use when we sleep overnight. That mosquito netting was bought a long time ago for my son when he went camping with the boy scouts. I forget who makes the netting but it was inexpensive (bought at a local camping store). It just so happens it is a perfect fit for covering up the openings when the pop top is raised. The only things I do to secure it is put the hatch boards in at night and use a binder clip to bunch the netting that is up near the mast.

I took the mosquito netting home to take the dimensions. The netting stretches a bit and so the taking of the dimensions was not so easy to do. I had to find objects around the house to hold down the edges. Also, the outer base dimensions do not tell the whole story. The shape of the netting is similar to one of those backpack tents and so the reason it fits so well is that the raised upper part of the net sort of enlargens the dimensions to fit over the entire pop top and sides:

Base dimensions - 70" x 50" rectangular. Wth base secured, the loose netting in the base is then raised so the full shape of the netting is then apparent and then the addl dimensions of the raised section is basically a smaller rectangular. Picture the base and then netting raised which slants in a bit to the below raised dimensions - 66" x 36" x 50" height.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2010 :  20:29:30  Show Profile
Thank you Larry! I'll look around and see if I can find something of similar size. Maybe Bass Pro Shops will have something.

I appreciate you taking the time to get these measurements!

Does it look something like this?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00682460000P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Screen%20Rooms%20&%20Canopies&sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00682460000P

This site has some interesting ideas for netting and you can buy it by the foot.
http://www.mosquitocurtains.com/home/mosquito-netting.html

Edited by - GaryB on 09/14/2010 20:46:35
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2010 :  04:01:01  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Gary,

Well...not exactly. The Sears netting seems to picture the base about the same rectangular perimeter sizing as the raised rectangular dimension. The netting I have is definitely as a larger base than the raised section. But probably a number of similar type nettings will do the job. If the base dimension is large enough, then it may cover the poptop. But inorder to do that it will have to be much wider than a sleeping bag dimension. Needs to approximate the base of a small pup tent like one that fits two people. There is a store in New jersey that also has a mail-order catalog - CampMor is the store name. They probably have a website and I bet they have something similar to what I bought. Maybe even Sports Authority or the Bass=Pro shop you mentioned. if I have a chance, I'll do some checking on the web.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2010 :  04:29:12  Show Profile
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/mosquito_netting.htm

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2010 :  09:04:01  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Another one to consider which definitely has dimensions to fit the poptop is:
http://gear.camping.com/coghlans-outdoor-mosquito-net-dw-green-coghlan-s-outdoor-camp-personal-care?utm_source=ShopZilla& utm_medium=CSE& utm_campaign=ShopZilla

Not sure of the netting quality but Campmor also has it on their website. It would be oversized since it is a bit larger than mine - So, may just have some extra netting on the sides. It should require no sewing/additional effort to use other than perhaps bring a few binder clips with you to bunch up the extra material and make snug so it does not fly off the poptop.

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/15/2010 09:06:26
Go to Top of Page

skrenz
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
351 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2010 :  13:03:40  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skrenz</i>
<br />We use it all the time. When we bought the boat the vinyl enclosure was not included so we made one with close-able windows with screens. We sail on an inland lake and only raise the poptop at dock, never while underway. I'm only 5' 9" but even so, the poptop makes living on board so much nicer and with our windows provides great ventilation.
You wouldn't happen to have a template or the measurements would you? I'd like to make one for my '89. I realize the dimensions are not the same but it would give me a place to start. Any pictures, I'd like to see how you did the close-able windows and teh screens?

If you search around on the technical tips and maybe search on this topic in the forums you will find a line drawing with dimensions. This is a good starting point. I ended up making a paper pattern from the line drawing and then fitting it to the actual boat leaving the bottom hem long and doing a final trim at the end.
I'll be happy to share details as to materials, etc. if you want to email me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page