Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mast raising system
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

c-lake250
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/12/2010 :  19:07:17  Show Profile
Well, here goes.
I've just become a Catalina owner, a '95 250WB, hull #57. We're going to make a few changes but wanted to start with changing the mast raising system, mostly because we have to be on the ramp when raising the mast and will feel a lot more in control from the ground.
My question is, how far above the bow is the pulley that the cable or strap travels thru from the winch on the trailer?
Also, is there anything special about the strap that goes around the mast below the spreaders other than being held in place by the main halyard?

Edited by - on

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2010 :  20:01:14  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of help here.

Does your trailer have the mast raising tower?

The "mast collar" is held in place just below the spreaders by the main halyard. The line from the mast tower/winch attaches to the front of the mast collar.

Here is a link to the [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/manbro/manbro.asp"]C250 User Manual[/url] that includes instructions and diagrams for raising the mast.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 04/12/2010 20:02:06
Go to Top of Page

Jack Schafer
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2010 :  07:41:27  Show Profile
are you sure your trailer has the mast raising tower? I have hull #106 and they had not yet converted to the tower on the trailer. The original mast raising was done with a gin pole,attached to the mast through a round cut out in the base of the mast,Jib Halyard to top end of gin pole and a block and tackle attached to other side of Jib halyard attachment and an eye in the anchor locker.
I keep my boat in a slip and only have to do this twice a year and have found it to be much easier to step the mast when the boat is in the slip. It is steadier and not so far to fall. However tools don't float very long!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

c-lake250
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2010 :  14:07:36  Show Profile
Thanks for the quick replys.
My trailer does not have the mast raising system but I have to do some welding repairs on the front pole on the trailer, the one with the winch, anyway, so I thought I'd just convert it to the updated mast raising system. My question is how high above the boat the factory trailer pole extends to be at the correct angel to the mast.
I want to do this because the only place I can raise the mast is on my ramp and being on the ground is much better than being on the boat or a ladder with the gin pole system. I had a similar system with my old MacGregor.
Also, is the "mast collar" available on the aftermarket or is it simple enough that a heavy nylon strap with appropriate end fittings would work?
Thanks for the owners manual. I've already printed it!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2010 :  16:20:08  Show Profile
The collar looks like a 3 foot length of fire hose secured to large stainless o-rings at each end. These are attached to the winching strap. As Randy said, it goes around the mast just below the spreaders and held in place by the main halyard. Be sure to secure the halyard so that the strap stays up until the mast is secured fore and aft. It's a good idea to attach a messenger line so that you can retrieve your halyard. (Don't ask) Don't forget to secure the end of the furler halyard the same way. (Again, don't ask) I assume you have the "baby stays" to protect against lateral movement as the mast goes up. Once it is completely up, the shrouds will prevent lateral movement but, on the way up, you need the "baby stays".

The tower extends pretty high above the deck -- maybe 6 feet. It's in two pieces, one inside the other so that it can be lowered so it isn't too high when trailering.

Edited by - John Russell on 04/13/2010 16:20:43
Go to Top of Page

c-lake250
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2010 :  09:17:56  Show Profile
John, thanks for the info - just what I needed, description of the strap and height of the pulley tower. We're starting on it next week.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page