Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Three small projects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/26/2009 :  16:55:16  Show Profile
Got a few projects off the list on Sunday. First we mounted the Magma grill. We chose to mount it off the mid stern rail where the Nauti Duck Helmsman's Seat can act as a prep surface.

Next up was to install the Edson Wheel Brake. It was a simple install and really will help to hold the wheel when I need to make sail adjustments, etc. Typical Edson gear - expensive but well engineered and built and with good directions. 30 minutes from start to completion.

Finally, and the most complex, was to install the CDI ball bearings kit in the furler drum. Definitely would have been easier with the rig down but we got the job done without losing any parts in the lake!! Another well-built item and good set of directions. One hour total on this and, again, good directions.

We'll get to use the furler in the next day or two but I could tell immediately that it will make a big difference.

Sorry, no photos of the wheel brake and ball bearings. I meant to take pix but then got caught up in the doing of the projects. When I told Pat that I meant to take photos and that perhaps we could re-do the ball bearing install and take pictures she gave me that special look....

We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 05/26/2009 16:57:54

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  18:06:32  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
You'll like your grill there, that's where we put ours as well.

I think pretty much every guy who's married or has a significant other knows "that" look. Rita has several versions of it, from "amused" through "I'm not speaking to you right now".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ruachwrights
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
258 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  18:17:41  Show Profile  Visit ruachwrights's Homepage
Randi,
Let me know how the brake works for handling lines on gusty days. Its on one of my chief priority lists, but right now I have no shortage of crew, and need to find a dingy (cheap). Also with the amount of time I spend grappling the wheel, I'm not sure it would be all that effective.

Thanks,

Vern Wright

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  19:01:30  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
FYI, since we figured out how to balance the boat sail trim, we now can put the boat on course, trim the sails, lock down the wheel and leave it unadjusted for what seems forever, 15 mins is normal.

Note: We now harden the backstay, have tuned the rigging as per Arlyn's instructions, and having just completed the repair of the steering system which included removing most of the slack between wheel and rudder, it seems even easier to setup the brake and take one!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2009 :  21:56:38  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
The grill looks exactly like mine and place at the exact same spot except mine is about 6 inches higher and I cook sitting on the starboard catbird seat. All I need now is a beer holder to starboard and a 50" plasma in front of me.

Try cooking those big spicy sausages they come out great on that grill.

Edited by - Steve Blackburn on 05/26/2009 21:57:58
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  06:20:18  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I have the same type of grill. Maybe not the exact grill but close. The only thing I don't like is that when the wind is up a bit I have a hard time keeping it lit. But then I just whip out the propane or butane stove.

(to the voice of Homer Simpson)MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm, <i>grilled sweet potato</i>

Edited by - DaveR on 05/27/2009 06:22:42
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  12:39:10  Show Profile
Dave, I had that same Force 10 stove and I finally replaced it with the Magma. My Force 10 just would not stay lit in any decent wind. Drove us crazy. I hope the Magma works better!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2009 :  13:40:31  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Randy, just to play the Devils advocate, as I have seen a couple of BBQ fires, I would be concerned to having it near motor and fuel locker. I have mine on catbird seats and still worry about fire.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:30:18  Show Profile
One of my projects with the mast down is to replace the plastic bearings with ball bearings in the CDI furler.

Randy, where did you find the kit, from CDI or Catalina Direct?

Also, has anyone replaced the halyard on the CDI? Mine looks a little worn.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2010 :  18:09:13  Show Profile
I got the BB kit at [url="http://www.riggingonly.com/CDI%20FURLERS.htm"]riggingonly[/url]. You could ask them about the halyard.

You can download the CDI FF4 manual [url="http://www.sailcdi.com/ffmain.htm"]here[/url].

Edited by - Nautiduck on 04/12/2010 18:13:10
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2010 :  21:16:19  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
I prefer my "cooker" away from the engine and fuel locker. Works great from this port side location:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page