Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 pop top cover and forward hatch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unclaimed baggage
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/18/2010 :  20:51:16  Show Profile
the pop top cover and forward hatch I have read has snaps on it. Mine are velcro. The boat doesnt has snaps or velcro. Where they removed? aftermarket whats the deal?

Eric F Martinez
1985 Fix keel, Tall rig

Edited by - on

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2010 :  08:21:07  Show Profile
If your pop top cover has velcro attachments, you can simply buy some adhesive velcro patches from a fabric store and place them where needed on the cabin top or deck. The adhesive should work fine on the clean, smooth gelcoat, but I'm not sure about the anti-skid setions of the deck. Maybe others have already used adhesive velcro on the non-skid and can report on how well it worked.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:56:00  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
The pop top cover was an option. Perhaps the boat sold origially without the cover and snaps and a po added the velcro rather than mess with putting snaps on.

Personnaly I would think the velcro would look pretty tacky on the cabin trunk. If I used it often enough I'd take the time to put snaps on.

Actually, I've had the pop top cover since my boat was brand new and used it twice, to see how it set up, and onec on a cruise - only once. When cruising I don't spend enough time in one place to warrant putting it up. Its a particular hassel in the early morning when its wet from dew. It takes too much time to dry it off so it doesn't mildew in storage.

Anyway, my opinion.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2010 :  07:07:53  Show Profile
We always stay a few days when we go to the boat and it is rare to not use the pop top. I would add snaps to the cover and cabin for both aesthetics and function. Velcro would need to be replaced every few years.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  19:10:12  Show Profile
I would like to eliminate the snaps, as they are mostly green, some are loose and I've had to take some of them out, put them in the drawer and patch the holes. I wonder if I can just replace them with large-headed stubby screws and washers. At least the stainless steel would shine . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page