Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boomkicker
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NCBrew
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/21/2010 :  19:07:53  Show Profile
Do you have a boomkicker, and can you answer this question.
Is there enough support to hold onto the boom getting on and off the boat without clipping the pigtail on the boom.

Ncbrew

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

I spent most of my money on boats and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Edited by - NCBrew on 04/21/2010 19:11:09

clenfestey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2010 :  20:54:22  Show Profile
I have a boomkicker, but have never tried to support my weight with it. I have placed quite a bit of downward tension on it by grabbing the end of the boom and pulling it down, but never my total weight. I believe it would provide adequate support to steady yourself. I like it for the ease of adjustment of the main shape while sailing; especially downwind and in light air conditions. You can fine tune with the boom vang even while the boom is all the way out; which was not possible with the topping lift arrangement if cleated at the end of the boom. I also have a lazy jack system which would also assist in supporting the boom once the sail is flaked. At the dock, I still clip the boom end to the pig tail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaclasch
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
104 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2010 :  09:21:43  Show Profile
I tried a boom kicker and liked it except for one thing. I missed being able to use the boom for support when standing on the aft portion of the cabin top. This is where a topping lift is a real blessing. It was either try to adapt myself to the boom kicker or go back to my feel-secure system. If I were younger I might have tried a little harder to adapt but as it is I need my topping lift.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2010 :  12:12:27  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
The boomkicker/rigid vang is also excellent when reefing. You can continue sailing on the jib-genoa while letting the boom out and reducing sail. The boom is out of the cockpit and not a safety hazard and makes reducing sail a snap, especially when single-handed and the reefing lines are led back to the cockpit.

I'm not saying a topping lift isn't useful but I challenge anyone to reef efficiently and safely single handed with just a topping lift. I am able to do it while racing without missing a beat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2010 :  13:01:37  Show Profile
No
NO
NO
A boomkicker will not support your weight and will probably cause guests to fall and get hurt. I had one.I would not have a boom kicker without a topping lift, which makes the boomkicker pointless. I took mine off and gave it away.
They will often disconnect at the boom when you are reefing and that is not when you want hardware flopping around.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

clenfestey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2010 :  17:58:37  Show Profile
The new boomkicker comes with a much longer track to fit the bottom of the boom, which prevents it from unattaching itself. Much better than the old system!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2010 :  18:14:06  Show Profile
Well, these Boomkicker threads are always fun! We have had one for three years and love it. We have sailed in lots of different conditions and it has never failed. It does a very effective job of keeping the boom out of head-hitting range.

As for support you have to understand that it has some give to it. We tell out guests that there is some give and have never had a problem. Generally, the practice of holding the boom is not a great idea anyway.

Frank, I'm puzzled by your photo. The kicker is almost straight and yet the boom looks to be nearly perpendicular off the mast. The kicker should have a strong curve to it. Perhaps the boom end was mounted too far aft. For our kicker to be straight I have to lift the boom to about a 45 degree angle.

Here is our kicker while reefed.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 04/22/2010 18:20:25
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  05:45:20  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Generally, the practice of holding the boom is not a great idea anyway. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

For what reasons Randy? I find it very useful (and safe) as a hand hold in times of need.

Edited by - DaveR on 04/23/2010 11:46:37
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  07:29:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by clenfestey</i>
<br />The new boomkicker comes with a much longer track to fit the bottom of the boom, which prevents it from unattaching itself. Much better than the old system!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That is good to know, thx

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  08:02:14  Show Profile
From the site,

I can see the advantage of pre-stressing the unit but fiberglass shattering is scary.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  08:03:19  Show Profile
Dave, we find we can move about the boat without using the boom for support. If we need a handhold in the cockpit we use the pedestal guard. We grab a stanchion to ease stepping up onto the coach roof to go forward. I will grab the mast for support. I was taught that the boom was so named because of its ability to inflict a serious hit. I tell guests to be attentive to it and not get in position where they could be hit. With the wind pushing it the boom has tremendous force. In certain conditions the boom can be a volatile piece of equipment and I keep my hands off of it. With our primary controls, including two-line reefing, led to the cockpit I seldom need to work at the boom.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  08:28:26  Show Profile
250-25, completely different sailing experience.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  09:32:28  Show Profile
At the dock or at anchor, my boom is steady as a rock, and I lean on it most of the time to step into the cockpit, as well as to flake the main. I use the old-fashioned pigtail, and the boom is held tight by the mainsheet and the vang.

Underway my sailing guests are reminded to stay seated and avoid getting clobbered. The working boom has big forces applied to it.

A boom kicker, on the other hand, is designed to hold the boom and mainsail up without a topping lift, but is not designed to hold up a few hundred more pounds of shaky crew member.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  11:52:37  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
And just as the boom when secured is one of the sturdiest things on the boat, a stanchion is easily bent or unseated and should never have weight put on it IMO and is on the weaker side of things. Only there in case all else fails.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2010 :  19:57:08  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br />And just as the boom when secured is one of the sturdiest things on the boat, a stanchion is easily bent or unseated and should never have weight put on it IMO and is on the weaker side of things. Only there in case all else fails.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dave, agreed that a secured boom is a solid handhold. My response was about the boom while under sail, not at the dock. Here is the stanchion that I use when going forward. It actually has two bases secured and is quite solid.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page