Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Gel coat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unclaimed baggage
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:12:17  Show Profile
I know they sell small containers of color matched gel coat, but has anyone ever done a large area. Do they sell in the quantity? Is it doable without molds?

Eric F Martinez
1985 Fix keel, Tall rig

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:28:09  Show Profile
Somebody has done his entire hull. I looked for the recent post about it but didn't have any luck. Maybe somebody with more IT skills might find it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

clenfestey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2010 :  18:16:33  Show Profile
I repaired the port side of my previous 250, and sprayed it with gelcoat. You can purcase it by the gallon if need be, but you will need to do your own coloring to match your hull.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2010 :  18:53:20  Show Profile
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21108

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2010 :  04:18:04  Show Profile
I am the guy that gel coated my entire hull. I can give you all the information you need.
I sprayed my hull with gelcoat becasue I wanted gelcoat and a color change, not paint. Anybody that does a complete hull in dark blue or burgundy needs to be committed to the mental ward. I'll be sanding for the next 40 years.
Whites however are a different story. It's actually pretty easy with the new additives that are out there.
The area between the handholes was sprayed with gelcoat that I color matched. The repair is approx 12" wide and goes from the seat over the gunnel. I sprayed the gelcoat over epoxy and no sign of a problem. The boat had a giant crack in it that was repaired. You can email me at catalina0029@yahoo.com
Dan

Edited by - Happy D on 05/08/2010 04:20:17
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2010 :  09:18:52  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Happy D</i>
<br /> I'll be sanding for the next 40 years.
Dan<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dan, what brand and grit compounds are you using?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2010 :  18:28:16  Show Profile
Right now I'm wet sanding up through 2000 grit and polishing with Aquabuff 2000.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2010 :  07:57:39  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Happy D</i>
<br />Right now I'm wet sanding up through 2000 grit and polishing with Aquabuff 2000.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Dan, again, your results are nothing short of outstanding. Just to share some of my research in prepartion to refinish my hull this spring - I've discovered a couple of <i>commerical</i> grade brands that contain <u>no</u> silicone or oils - which will "cut" faster. I'm starting with a 900 grit gel coat compound, then a 1200 grit polish and finally a 1500 grit glaze. A 2000 grit product is also available. Each grit uses a different grade pad as well - including foam for the glaze. Brands containing silicone and/or oils help protect the <i>novice</i> from burning gel coat . . . but also produce somewhat of a faux shine.
All of the above falls into the FWIW category! Again, great job!

Edited by - OJ on 05/11/2010 08:00:42
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2010 :  05:47:52  Show Profile
I am working with a newly sprayed gelcoat. The gelcoat was sprayed very thick and resulted in a heavy orange peel. So in lieu of that, I have a lot of sanding to do to get the surface flat prior to polishing so I have to take a little different path.
I did not go about spraying the gelcoat quit correctly. I should have used the Duratec HGA at 50/50 like the directions said. Using less Duratec to get a faster build resulted in the heavy orange peel.
Should have followed the directions. I also listened to some professionals that sort of led me down the wrong path. They spray into molds so it a little different. I know how to do it right now.
Wet sanding to 2000 grit does leave little swirls in the finish from the sander, but if I cut all those out, there won't be any gelcoat left for years to come. It's not perfect but it sure looks nice.
It's so easy to repair. I have a shallow spot in the white boot stripe. Today, I'll tape it off, spray it and heat it overnight to cure it and it'll be sanded tomorrow and it will look just like it came out of the mold. Repairs are so easy with gelcoat.
Here is a better photo showing the actual color. I installed the through hulls last night and installed the exhaust system a month ago or so. It's really looking nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2010 :  17:38:42  Show Profile
<br />. . . Repairs are so easy with gelcoat . . . It's really looking nice . . .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Dan, I believe hands down, you have the nicest finish of any C25 hull out there. I can't tell you how many times I tried to figure out why your garage walls were so wavy - before I realized I was looking at the reflection in your hull.

With the limited experience I have with gel coat - it became gummy when it came time to sand and polish. I can only guess that the gel coat didn't cure completely - even when using the specified ratio of gel coat to hardener. Any thoughts?

Edited by - OJ on 05/14/2010 04:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2010 :  05:21:23  Show Profile
The sandpaper gums up on me a lot also. It's just the surface that gums up the paper. Once I cut through the surface, the paper doesn't gum up any more. I initially thought I ended up with waxed gelcoat even though I order it without wax. However, the second spraying of gelcoat was using a different supplier and a different supplier for pigments and the gelcoat still gums up. I found using a cabinet scraper to cut through the top surface has the paper lasting longer. I added hardener at exactly 2%.
In my case I think it is the Druatec that gums up the paper a little. It has to migrate to the surface to cure the gelcoat. Do you use Duratec HGA?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2010 :  09:20:11  Show Profile
I think gelcoat curing is oxygen inhibited which is why you cover small patches with plastic film while it cures; so it either has an agent that floats up and seals the surface or binds oxygen or the surface will be soft. Scraping first is a good approach to save a lot of sandpaper. I love your result, but that is above both my skill level and labor tolerance.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2010 :  04:32:36  Show Profile
<br />Do you use Duratec HGA?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Just to prove to you what a novice I am - I have no idea . . . what ever came with the kit I purchased from Mini-Craft.

A former manufacturing tech of Catalina thickened my transom with fiberglass to support the weight of the four-stroke. He applied the gel coat using a Preval. 15 minutes later he sanded (with no gumming) and polished the area to a glassy finish. Obviously he used a higher ratio of hardener and the fiberglass he had just finished laying up and sanding was still quite warm . . . but he was also a real pro.

Edited by - OJ on 05/14/2010 04:46:21
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2010 :  04:55:05  Show Profile
<br />Wet sanding to 2000 grit does leave little swirls in the finish from the sander<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Sometimes polish will leave swirls. If that's the case you might try Lake Country's CCS foam polishing pad.

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/products/features.cfm/catid/2/subcatid/5/ccs-foam

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page