Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Retrieving main halyard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AADIVER
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/14/2010 :  15:52:54  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
On my sailing buddy's 250 the main halyard shackle popped loose from the mainsail head and ran up to the top of the mast. He didn't realize it had come loose. He pulled on what he thought was his reefing line and it was the main halyard line and up the shackle and line went. They're both side by side in the starboard cam cleats. What's the best, least expensive way to retrieve it? Thanks.

Frank Farmer
Long Beach, CA
aa.diver@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/aa.diver

PRETTY PENNY
'01 C-250 WK, Hull #558

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2010 :  16:06:43  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Been there.

use the jib halyard to pull a wire coat hanger up the backstay with a messenger to pull it down.
Giggle (that's the offical term) the hanger to hook the main halyard shackle and then use the messenger to pull it down.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2010 :  16:14:37  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Been there too, just not on my C-250. If you bend the coat hanger into a grappling hook shape, duct tape the end connected to the halyard, and then cut the other ends so they're sharp & pointy, you'll have a better chance of grabbing it. Use the jib halyard and a messenger (line tied to the end of the halyard that's at least as long as the mast is tall) like Paul suggests. Use the messenger end of the line to jiggle (that's the American term) the hook until you get a hold of the errant halyard, and haul them all down with the messenger.

I was lucky when mine happened, I was able to reach it with an extended boat pole since it hadn't managed to climb the mast to the top.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2010 :  17:03:50  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
Thanks for the advice. Anyway we could get a picture of the suggested shape of the coat hanger and how it should be attached to the jib halyard? In the archives perhaps?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2010 :  18:51:02  Show Profile
Easier still is to drive the boat over to your marina's travel lift, ask the boatyard manager to send someone up in a bosun's chair, and wait a few minutes while they do it for free.

That actually happened when my main halyard shackle slipped off the sail one day last year. I didn't ask any questions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2010 :  19:33:01  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Here's a photo of a commercially available grapple for halyards, it should give you a good start on what you need to do: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.htm?group=1516

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2271 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2010 :  03:51:21  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AADIVER</i>
<br />On my sailing buddy's 250...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Interesting... <s>I</s> <i>My friends</i> have also had some embarrassing mishaps on <s>my</s> <i>their</i> boats. lol

Edited by - TakeFive on 07/15/2010 03:53:54
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2010 :  13:02:31  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnP</i>
<br />Easier still is to drive the boat over to your marina's travel lift, ask the boatyard manager to send someone up in a bosun's chair, and wait a few minutes while they do it for free.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
John, great idea! I have one next to me. For next time!Along those lines, I got an email from my bottom cleaning service and they said if you drop something overboard at your slip they will retrieve it for FREE next time they come to clean you boat. I never knew that. Next time.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2010 :  20:30:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnP</i>
<br />Easier still is to drive the boat over to your marina's travel lift, ask the boatyard manager to send someone up in a bosun's chair, and wait a few minutes while they <i><b>do it for free</b></i>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

vholmstrom
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2010 :  09:44:08  Show Profile
My father once retrieved his main halyard with a spinning rod and treble hook. He kept casting until he hooked it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2010 :  12:46:59  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Vic, bet pops has some great fishing stories!
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2010 :  14:21:31  Show Profile
Send a lightweight person up to the spreaders in a bosun's chair with a boat hook.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2010 :  09:28:42  Show Profile
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy 3 sections of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe and a couple of couplers. Slip it all together but don't use glue. Tape a coat hanger to the end and reach up and grab the shackle and haul it down. Disconnect each section of PVC and go sailing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2010 :  18:05:13  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
The creativity of our members never cease to amaze me. No doubt the collective minds of this forum could solve any problem this world faces, including the recent oil leak in the Gulf. I am sure there is nothing too difficult to solve and with amazing simplicity.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2010 :  22:11:54  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy 3 sections of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe and a couple of couplers. Slip it all together but don't use glue. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Gary,
Have you ever actually tried this? I recently bought 3 ten foot sections of PVC to try and tap my misaligned Windex back into place and it was like trying trying to wave a wet noodle. It was not stiff enough to control.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

vholmstrom
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2010 :  06:53:47  Show Profile
They make at least 2 versions of 3/4" PVC. Recently I bought a "high pressure" 10' PVC pipe to hang my life jackets from the garage ceiling. The pipe walls of the high pressure stuff is at least twice as thick as the standard PVC. With screw eyes every 2', the PVC doesn't bend holding the life jackets on hangers, and some of them are the heavier type ones. The 10' piece still only cost 1.88 at Lowes. Maybe the high pressure stuff is stiff enough to use as Gary suggests.

Vic

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2010 :  19:49:31  Show Profile
Why complicate retrieval? Just send a lightweight person up on a bosun's chair. (I had to do this yesterday as the jib halyard had jumped the sheave) - it took a whole 15 minutes!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2010 :  13:39:28  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Derek Crawford</i>
<br />Why complicate retrieval? Just send a lightweight person up on a bosun's chair. (I had to do this yesterday as the jib halyard had jumped the sheave) - it took a whole 15 minutes!
Finding a lightweight person or one young enough to go up in a bosun's chair is hard to find at my marina.

On another topic, I'm in New Braunfels for the next few days. Would you mind if I just went by and took a look at your boat one day? I'd like to see how you have it rigged if that's OK. I wouldn't get on it, just want to see how how it's setup.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2010 :  14:00:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sloop Smitten</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy 3 sections of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe and a couple of couplers. Slip it all together but don't use glue. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Gary,
Have you ever actually tried this? I recently bought 3 ten foot sections of PVC to try and tap my misaligned Windex back into place and it was like trying trying to wave a wet noodle. It was not stiff enough to control.
Not for retrieving a halyard but I have for other purposes. As Vic said above, use the heavy wall PVC OR one of these --&gt;&gt; http://www.homedepot.com/Mr-Longarm/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xqdZ4cd/R-100177392/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053.

Edited by - GaryB on 07/19/2010 14:10:46
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2010 :  18:07:40  Show Profile
GaryB - I sent you an e-m from the forum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2010 :  21:16:03  Show Profile
Derek,

I don't have any access to my email while I'm gone. I can only receive info through this site.

Edited by - GaryB on 07/20/2010 21:16:53
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2010 :  06:32:00  Show Profile
GaryB,
Feel free to climb on the boat. I was going to invite you for a sail - but the weather forecast is lousy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2010 :  12:33:16  Show Profile
Derek,

Finally got home late yesterday and responded to your email last night.

In case it didn't go through, we were headed for the lake Wednesday afternoon when my wife remembered we were going to look at a house to rent for the weekend later this fall. It was on the SW side of the lake so we headed that way with the idea of coming back around the lake to look at your boat on our way to Driftwood to eat at the Saltlick. By the time we finally found it my wife was hungry and we were closer to Hwy 281 so we just headed on up to Lake Travis.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up! I'd love to take a sail with you sometime in the future if the offer stills stands. If you get down to the Houston area sometime let me know and we'll try to take a sail on the bay.

AADiver - Sorry for hijacking your thread. I should have started another thread. I'll do better in the future.

Edited by - GaryB on 07/25/2010 12:35:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page