Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast raising/lowering - pics added
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2011 :  08:04:35  Show Profile
Jim, I bought the stainless elbows online at Turquois, Inc,. dba Marine Part Depot, (www.marinepartdepot.com), along with several other pieces that were on sale. A friend bought the aluminum tubes for me at a wholesale place he knows of on a trip to Florida. I went with aluminum tubes because stainless was too expensive. I hope it will be strong enough.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2011 :  08:46:02  Show Profile
David,
Thanks, that link just saved me about $30, which more than offsets the cost of the stainless steel I found. If you decide you want to switch to stainless tubing, try http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Boating_and_Marine/Tubing/Stainless_Steel_Tubing/index.html. They have 20' of tube for $50. You need to pay them to cut it for shipping, but they only charge $1.50/cut. They won't ship more than a 10' section, and 8' is preferred. So, I'm thinking of two 4' sections, one 30" section, and then and 18" and the last 8' section. That should give me enough for this and another project. I'll pay an extra $6 for the cuts, and shipping is about $15. So, I'll be paying something like $75, but I'll have some extra stainless. Then $30 for the lbows with shipping, and I'll have a nice stand for the mast.

Edited by - JimGo on 11/06/2011 21:14:22
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2011 :  11:25:50  Show Profile
If you don't need an 18" piece, you could add 9" to each of the 4' pieces. However, I haven't dropped my mast since adding the support to the stern rail, I can't really speak to what might be the optimum height. I was initially considering 4-5' and 4' seemed to make it a bit more in line with the bow pulpit height.
A piece that is too long can always be shortened.
Will they sell a 12' piece, or do you have to buy the full 20'?

Edited by - dmpilc on 11/06/2011 11:35:27
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2011 :  17:24:10  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
David,
We'll be making a mast raising system this off-season and part of that will include a roller for moving the mast aft. Do you remember the width of the roller? Do you find the mast drifting left or right and <i>walking</i> up the beveled edge? Would you purchase the same again?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2011 :  21:17:39  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />Will they sell a 12' piece, or do you have to buy the full 20'?

They don't give a price for less than 20'. They also say that they can't ship bigger than a 10' segment, and if it's going to the midwest, the longest they can ship is 8'.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2011 :  13:52:06  Show Profile
OJ, except for the roller size, I can't answer your questions yet as I have not had an occasion to take the mast down and try it out. May not happen until later this fall or even next spring. The roller is 4 1/2" wide. Whatever bracket you buy or make to hold the roller, just get the roller to fit. The bracket and roller were by far the most expensive elements.
The lumber was already on hand, the vertical pieces are 1x4x65" (after cutting) and the horizontal pieces are 2x4's, 45" and 60", respectively. Height is a personal preference. You may want to start with 6' and see if you like it. The bottoms of the 1x4's are angled so they fit flat in the trough at the stern. To measure the angles, I took the {EDIT}wood <s>contraption</s> out to the boat, set it up {EDIT} in mockup without the upper 2x4 installed, and used a short piece of scrap 2x4 on the cockpit floor to draw the cut line on the 1x4's. I tried to use the same angles at the top. All of the drilling was done at the boat and I used wing nuts at the connection points so it can be collapsed easily for storage, if necessary, and the lower bracket bolts are eye bolts to facilitate securing the mast when it is down.

Edited by - dmpilc on 11/07/2011 15:41:26
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2011 :  21:33:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />

...Do you remember the width of the roller? Do you find the mast drifting left or right and <i>walking</i> up the beveled edge? Would you purchase the same again?
OJ,

My roller is a 3 piece bow stop roller that measures 8" wide. It has a moderate V-shape to it and the mast does try to walk one way or the other enough that I have to keep and eye on it while moving the mast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2011 :  17:18:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />

...Do you remember the width of the roller? Do you find the mast drifting left or right and <i>walking</i> up the beveled edge? Would you purchase the same again?
OJ,

My roller is a 3 piece bow stop roller that measures 8" wide. It has a moderate V-shape to it and the mast does try to walk one way or the other enough that I have to keep and eye on it while moving the mast.
Thanks Gary. My roller will be mounted atop a vertical 4x4 and I'm a tad concerned about the mast <i>walking up the bevel</i> and off the roller completely. If I add, say, a 2x4 on each side as a precaution - that will only be another place for stays to get hung-up on.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2011 :  17:25:15  Show Profile
I have a similar roller and the same issue, but it isn't a problem as long as you keep an eye on it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page