Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Wheel Steering Connection to Rudder
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

superbob
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
200 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/08/2010 :  13:31:54  Show Profile  Visit superbob's Homepage
The rubber boot that surrounds the connection from rudder to the interior steering cable system needs replacing. I've searched Edson's webpage and can't come close to finding anything like this.

Any direction in finding one would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Watson
Sparkle Plenty
'99 Catalina 250/WK #421
Oak Bottom Marina
Whiskeytown Lake CA

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2010 :  19:42:09  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Call Edson, we did and they took the order over the phone.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2010 :  21:34:41  Show Profile
Edson part #960-B-446 RLS Steerer Rubber Boot - $46

Edson 508-995-9711

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2010 :  16:22:42  Show Profile
Randy - Thanks for the info, since I will need one too. I went to their website and managed to find it on page 68 of their catalog:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/ed2e897d#/ed2e897d/68

If you are interested, there is a PDF link in the bottom right corner that allows you to download the entire catalog, or selected pages.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

superbob
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
200 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2010 :  06:33:14  Show Profile  Visit superbob's Homepage
Thanks, Skippers. I'll order tomorrow.

I'll also be adding the second gungeon on the stern to eliminate having to remove the rudder when the boat is hauled. I have the parts but wondered if you have any suggestions to make the job easier and to keep from making mistakes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2010 :  09:23:14  Show Profile
Here are a couple of photos that may help.

The first shows the lower gudgeons from inside the hull.

The second shows the gudgeons and rudder and mast crutch on the transom.

Note that the gudgeons that hold the mast crutch are basically mounted at the same height as the rudder gudgeons but moved slightly to port. The upper gudgeons are in the fuel locker. While the second set of gudgeons will not be subjected to the same force loads as the rudder set, I would still suggest using some sort of backplate or as large a fender washers as will fit.

This is a good mod and makes winter storage much easier. You may also be interested in making a mast support that goes at the mast step location and allows for the slight port offset of the mast in storage.

[url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20277&SearchTerms=mast,support"]Mast Support[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2010 :  19:44:06  Show Profile
FYI, I ordered the transom boot from Hank Keene at Edson at their Boat Show booth today. They had no show discount, but he did give me free shipping.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

superbob
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
200 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2010 :  06:55:57  Show Profile  Visit superbob's Homepage
Rick and Randy...thank you! The mast holder is a great add on in supporting it during trailering. As for the including a lower bracket to support gudgeon hardware, it's a shame that piece is not included in the package. Randy, where did you find a bracket piece similar to what's found for the rudder gudgeon?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2010 :  12:35:32  Show Profile
Our boat came with the extra set of gudgeons already mounted. Large fender washers should work just fine for you. There is not much stress on those gudgeons.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2010 :  13:06:39  Show Profile
I received my replacement rubber boot from Edson a couple of weeks ago, and will install it in the next week or so. Is any type of sealant recommended for between the fiberglass and the rubber, or is it just sealed by compressive pressure? If sealant is required, what do you recommend?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2010 :  17:25:27  Show Profile
I don't think that I used sealant. The SS plate presses quite firmly on the gasket. If you do use something I would stick with silicon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

superbob
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
200 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2010 :  15:43:02  Show Profile  Visit superbob's Homepage
Just completed installing the new set of gudgeons and replaced the rubber boot that connects rudder to steering linkage. Definitely a two person job requiring an electric screwdriver and a large regular head screw driver. No big deal. Just takes time and the ability to work within the confines of the queen berth. I did remove the battery compartment cover which helped tremendously.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2010 :  17:00:28  Show Profile
Randy ,

did you ever do the pindle , for the rudder bracket replacement ?

i saw somthing you posted with a rubber bushing..i cant find it in the search ,

thanks

Edited by - SEAN on 11/16/2010 19:53:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page