Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Where do you keep your crib boards while sailing?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/10/2010 :  16:24:23  Show Profile
I lay my crib boards down beside the portapottie in the head area, and use a bungy to keep them in place. Depending on chop and swell, they sometime escape from the bungy and go sliding around.

Where do you keep yours to prevent them from flying around in the cabin?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  17:56:07  Show Profile
The best idea I've seen, and which I have yet to implement but intend to, is to run a bungee down the length and in front of the starboard settee creating 3 "slots" to hold the crib boards. There's a pic of this in the archives somewhere.

Edit: I forgot to add that for now I just stack them and lay them behind the ladder on the quarterberth along with the other gear, spare lines, swim noodles, etc. There's enough other stuff here to keep them from sliding around.

Edited by - dmpilc on 12/11/2010 14:03:56
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  18:15:41  Show Profile
I think Sara lays them flat on the cushions in the V-Berth. They seem to stay put without sliding around. I know I have the canvas bag for them but haven't used it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  21:41:24  Show Profile
I used to lift the quarterberth cushions and lay them in order under the cushions. They were close if I needed them, stable, and quiet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  22:00:52  Show Profile
Stand them three deep behind a shock cord along the starboard settee. The shock cord also holds the supports for the hinged panel that doubles the width of the settee for sleeping.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  22:17:04  Show Profile
I put my hatchboards in a hatchboard bag from CD then they are placed next to the stairs in the quarterberth wedged between the life jackets and cushions that are stored there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  07:52:04  Show Profile
Our boat came with a flat bag, divided into partitions. It hangs along the inside wall of the port lazarette, where I attached it to hooks. The hatch boards slide vertically into the bag. Easy in, easy out, and I don't have to carry them around.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:11:57  Show Profile
I lay mine flat on the quarterberth cushions and haven't had any issues with them sliding around.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  15:50:47  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
I converted the space for the water tank into a storage locker where I keep the hatch boards, life jackets, and a few smaller items.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  08:51:54  Show Profile
Like many of you, I use the space in the quarterberth for storage: I store my solar panels there when underway. I also have a few spare cushions, a tool box, and a large storage bin for plastic cups, paper towels, paper plates, energy bars, drink boxes, etc that all take up a sizeable area of the QB.

I'll have a look at setting aside a section of this area for the boards. I really don't like it when the boards slide out of the head area, as this usually happens when heeling on a port tack, and getting smacked by big broaching breaker. Lots of other stuff also flies around at that point.

I also like the idea of having a sectioned bag for storage, as I find the hasp makes scratches the other boards when the three are stacked together.

Edited by - Voyager on 12/12/2010 08:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  13:39:09  Show Profile
Catalina Direct sells the hatch board bag. I use it to protect the varnish on my hatch boards.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  15:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
OK, I'll bite...

I keep the bottom board in place while underway. It makes a good mount for a fishfinder, and we don;t have any trouble stepping over it to get down into the cabin if we need to.

The other two are usually either put in teh quarter berth or the Vee berth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  15:49:23  Show Profile
Thye smallest one goes UNDER the cushion on the starboard couch. The other 2 are in the dockbox (don't need all that weight aboard!)
If it rains, the small board goes in and I have a sunbrella cover which velcro's behind the end of the sliding hatch and drops down over the board.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  18:40:27  Show Profile
we also stand them three deep behind a shock cord - one end permanently connected to a thru bolted eye bolt and the other end (w/ a hook) to another eye bolt along the port settee...which works just fine as is...but also then store/stack the two working fenders between the table pedestal and the hatch boards and nothing moves around at all

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  21:24:49  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I store my hatchboards in a hatchboard bag I bought from CD. THen it put it in the dumpster

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2010 :  07:34:26  Show Profile
Quarter berth along with other stuff.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2010 :  07:44:58  Show Profile
Bruce,
We put ours where you do (standing up next to the porta potti) but we added a bungee to hold them. If you loosen the nuts you can use a large crimp terminal or a tie-wrap (the kind with a mounting hole) and use bungee material. That way we have a bungee on each side of the potti. We put one on one side and two on the other.

If I didn't do that first I probably would have done a similar thing next to one of the setees. Sounds like you have some options to choose from.

Good Luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tbosch
Navigator

Members Avatar

163 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2010 :  11:47:48  Show Profile
We put them in the v-berth or quarter-berth. To keep them handy and immobilized I wedge them standing between the hull and the cushion. They stand there half covered and are easy to grab even if there is a lot of other stuff stored in the berth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tinob
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1883 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2010 :  10:42:45  Show Profile
I just lay them, largest first then middle and first last, forming a seat across the opening to the cabin. They just lay there waiting to be sat upon.

Val on the hard DAGNABIT
C25 swing to wing, 1983

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2010 :  19:40:34  Show Profile
Not in the wind we sail in Val, man your waters must be flat. However my wife wanted a "bridgedeck" to sit on so I used a companionway step from a rather nice powerboat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page