Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Icy Haul Out
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tbosch
Navigator

Member Avatar

163 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/21/2010 :  16:02:15  Show Profile
Found this on Sailing Anarchy. I think these guys waited a bit too long to pull their C25...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0AuuVdmPyw

Todd
1980 C25 SR/FK "Dora"

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2010 :  16:16:16  Show Profile
Probably not certified as an icebreaker, but a pretty tough boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2010 :  19:33:44  Show Profile
April, why not launch on President's Day weekend!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2010 :  19:35:03  Show Profile
Jeeze -- I look at this and think of all I do to NOT be in the situation they are. Regardless of how tough we think our boats are The risk to the boat and crew is significant. When I was a kid I worked at a boat yard and remember all too well the damage that ice can cause hulls (think Titantic less a few hundred feet) with the survivor suing the yard! These guys were lucky, period, full stop!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2010 :  19:44:32  Show Profile
Anyone thinking Catalina smile?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2010 :  07:56:02  Show Profile
more like Catalina frown!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2010 :  10:20:24  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
That's a little too headstrong for me but I guess you have to do what you have to do.

I recall a couple of years ago, I took a look out at the river from my office and there was no ice. So, I was all set to go to the marina (~ 5minutes or so away) and go sailing for awhile. Only thing was that down at the marina, the flow agitators kept ice away from the boat but there was what looked like about 1/8" thick ice, 40 feet long blocking my path between the finger slips to gain access to non-ice areas of the marina and eventually the river. I decided to go for it. Lot's of loud creaking noise from breaking thru the ice. Went sailing. Came back and the ice had refroze ! Broke thru the ice again. Checked out the hull sides once I was in the slip - No visible damage. But won't try that again ! Have to have patience for a better day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2010 :  10:23:01  Show Profile
Bad planning, for sure!

That C-25 was on Utah Lake. Maybe Mike Harmer, skipper of the Unsinkable, who sails on the same lake, knows these guys.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2010 :  10:38:41  Show Profile
seems like too much free time and too little planning...further proof it's a shame to waste youth on the young...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2010 :  13:11:45  Show Profile
Brings back memories. I served on 2 US Coast Guard Ice Breakers. I've been North of Alaska and to Antarctica twice. We didn't do that much "back-and Ramming" but we did enough of it. We tried to avoid the ice when possible. Those Ice Breakers had a 3ft thick steel keel on the bow. They are designed to ride up on the ice and the weight of the boat would break the ice. If it got stuck they would shift the heeling tanks from side to side to rock her loose and back and ram again. We could go through about 10 ft of ice or more. The newer ones can do more.

The Catalina 25 is a tough boat as this video shows.

Thanks for the flashback.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2010 :  14:36:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I served on 2 US Coast Guard Ice Breakers<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">We tried to avoid the ice when possible<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

brandenespinoza
Deckhand

Members Avatar

2 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2010 :  00:52:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnP</i>
<br />Maybe Mike Harmer, skipper of the Unsinkable, who sails on the same lake, knows these guys.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I don't know Mike Harmer, but there is a good chance he knows me. The owner of the C25 is a big boat virgin. He only had her in the water for a couple of months, he gave me a call when he discovered his boat had been frozen in.

I get a kick out of this thread.

Cheers,

Branden Espinoza,

Link to full story: http://www.brandenespinoza.com/site/adventures/branden-on-sailing-anarchy/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2010 :  11:52:25  Show Profile
Geez, you can't talk about <i>anybody</i> these days without them googling themselves and catching you at it!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Unsinkable2
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
273 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2010 :  12:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Unsinkable2's Homepage
Utah Lake ices up very quickly. My first year I stayed in the water through Thanksgiving weekend and ended up chopping through some ice on my way out. So my rule of thumb now is pulling out the last weekend of October regardless of how warm it is.

Utah Lake has a remote-controllable webcam. If you tune in on Saturdays in late November and early December you can watch the poor unfortunate souls pull their boats out of the ice. Here's a link to a post about a guy trying to pull his houseboat out of Utah Lake late one year - they were using propane torches to melt the ice.
http://blog.unsinkable2.com/2008/12/forgot-my-boat-and-icy-pullout.html

And here's a link to the Utah Lake Provo Harbor webcam. This time of year you can watch the ice-fishing...
http://livelakeview.com/lakes/utahlake/provo.html

That's awesome, Branden. We'll have to make introductions at Todd's winter sailing seminars next month. I'm presenting one of the seminars on sailing the British Virgin Islands.

On a similar note, the Great Salt Lake rarely freezes due to its high salinity. However, once in a while it will get cold enough to put a thin, temporary veneer of ice on the water and the sailors up there go sailing through it, cutting long trails through the ice. That's on my bucket list, I'll post videos when I get the chance to try it. (Branden's 4" thick version of this is NOT on my bucket list... :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2010 :  15:23:32  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We're worried that it might be too cold on New Years Eve when the temps are likely to drop down to the 40's

I guess what you'll put up with is close to what you normally do!

Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Unsinkable2
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
273 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2010 :  15:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Unsinkable2's Homepage
40's?! Paul, you're killing us. The mountains next to Utah Lake received SEVEN FEET of new snow over the last few days. Utah, home of the Greatest Snow On Earth. And we're pretty green too - after we're done skiing on it, we'll recycle it and sail on it. :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2010 :  20:10:43  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
both the skiing and the sailing sound like great fun--have always wanted to ski Utah

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

brandenespinoza
Deckhand

Members Avatar

2 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2010 :  05:43:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Unsinkable2</i>

That's awesome, Branden. We'll have to make introductions at Todd's winter sailing seminars next month. I'm presenting one of the seminars on sailing the British Virgin Islands.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

@Mike: Absolutely! Been trying to convince Todd to get his Olson 30 out to Long Beach for nationals this year. He's not too keen about it. You should put a bug in his ear. I'm actually spending Christmas w/ Matt Pugh, Todd's employee at Bonneville School of Sailing. Small world. I'll look you up at the BVI seminar. That sounds great. Todd asked me to do a seminar about the Transpac a few years ago, I delivered one of the boats back in '07. I regret not taking him up on it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  07:00:57  Show Profile
Scott (Islander),
If you were wondering why we tried to avoid the ice I can try to explain.

Even though the boat is designed to handle ice, it's still quicker to go around the ice than through it. The ship even has an "Ice Shack" up the mast (or stick). This is an enclosed "shack" with room enough for 2 people. It has windows so lookouts can scan for open water. If there's a path around the ice (thick ice) then they went around it. It's also less impact on a ship that was a hand-me-down from the Navy. That tells you how old it was. We had water tight bulkheads you could push your thumb through. Remember that most of the time the ice is about 5 feet thick or more, not inches.

Also when you get into the ice the noise is constant. The scrapping of the ice on the steel ship reverberates through every inch of the ship. If you are a member of the deck crew your births are forward and you have a constant rumble,crackle, etc... that can be deafening.

In case you are wondering.... The job of these icebreakers was "mainly" 2-fold: We opened up the supply lanes for ships to supply McMurdo Naval station and we were an oceanographic platform for groups like NOAA etc... We took soundings and fish samples etc...for research.

Many, many memories. The stories I could tell.......

Just feet away from killer whales.
Feeding sled dogs
Feet away from Emperor penguins
Drunk as a skunk at... never mind that one.

Didn't mean to go on but that but going through ice triggered the memory flow.

'nough said.

Thanks again for the flashback.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  11:03:05  Show Profile
Scott, Have you ever considered writing a "memory" or two for the Mainsheet?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:15:38  Show Profile
I haven't really thought about it. A little busy right now.

If I do I will send one in.

Thanks for the idea.

FWIW: We named our boat "Square Knot" because my wife thought I qualified as one. I was talking to her about it and she almost insisted. I didn't want to, but she's the admiral and we didn't have much time to splash her. I found out later that I don't truly qualify.

As far as I now understand it, a "Square-knot sailor" is one who has the following:

Equator
Dateline
Arctic Circle
Antarctic Circle
Circumnavigate the globe.

I'm missing the circumnavigation. I doubt I'll ever do it at this point. I do have the St. Lawrence w/all 5 Great Lakes and the Panama Canal.

Not sure if any of this counts if it's not on a sailboat? It was fun anyway.

Anyway, have to run.

Anybody else have a definition of Square Knot Sailor? (Maybe should start a new post???)

Thanks,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  14:12:18  Show Profile
Found this:

A mariner who has crossed the equator, the international date line, the artic Circle and the Antarctic Circle, and has completed a circumnavigation of the globe. Sailors indicate this distinction with a tatoo of a square knot.

The Dictionary of Nautical Literacy by Robert McKenna

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page