Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Marine Holding Tank Pumpout
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/12/2011 :  20:25:30  Show Profile
I need to have my holding tank pumped out...Looking at my deckplate, it looks like there's just a cover that unscrews and opens the hole for the hose that is connected to the plate. I looked at the pump hose on the dock, and it looks like there's a fitting on it with two lever clamps on the side to connect to something.

Am I missing a piece for this? I thought it would screw in or somehow a hose would go down the tube to suck out the waste...but I don't really see any way for the pump hose to connect to my boat.

Scott

When we left, we had just enough fuel to make it to San Juan. And now... we are out of fuel!

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2011 :  05:42:38  Show Profile
When pumping out my tank, I first screw in the adapter (provided my the marina) then clamp on the pumpout hose using the two lever clamps you mentioned. They also have a fitting/adapter that you just shove in the deck opening and hold it in place.

I think it looks like this...

Edited by - dlucier on 04/13/2011 05:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2011 :  05:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I give the kid $5 and then go inside and pay for the pumpout. Dunno how any of the equipment works.

All I know is the kid flushes about 3 buckets of lakewater through the head while he runs the pump.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2011 :  05:59:53  Show Profile
Our pumpout station is self serve and I too, after the initial pumpout, pour a bucket of water through the head and also use the rinse hose to put a few gallons of water through the deck fitting then pump that out, which I may do a couple of times.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:11:23  Show Profile
Don...that's exactly what I was thinking I was missing....so, the pumpout folks are supposed to have that fitting, or am I supposed to have it? I guess I could just ask them but my marina doesn't have the pump station (thought it did) it's the next marina up the slough....one of the three on the lake owned by the same company. I hate to show up unprepared but if that's a common thing they all have then I won't worry about it.

I have read about folks that dump a gallon or three of water through the head to clean/flush the hoses and tank during pumpout. I'll make sure to do that since I'm going to be opening the system briefly to replace the head and sanitation hose.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2011 :  08:08:28  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Diver</i>
<br />...I have read about folks that dump a gallon or three of water through the head to clean/flush the hoses and tank during pumpout. I'll make sure to do that since I'm going to be opening the system briefly to replace the head and sanitation hose.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...then give it a good dose of your choice of green stuff with a little water and give that at least a day to work.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2011 :  12:43:44  Show Profile
I would guess the marine head is no different than the holding tank I had in my travel trailer. I tried several different products with mixed results, including the OdorLoss green stuff. Nothing worked better than the good old Thetford blue stuff.

I talked to the marina folks today. They have all the fittings needed as long as I show up when they're open, otherwise, if I have my own, I can use the station anytime but I have to do it myself.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2011 :  18:32:19  Show Profile
How do you know when the holding tank is near full and ready to pump out?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2011 :  18:52:21  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by booyacht</i>
<br />How do you know when the holding tank is near full and ready to pump out?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It starts leaking out of the vent.

This surprised me the first time it happened. I was out with my wife for an overnight and really had no concept of how much the tank held. On the way back the next day I used the head and my wife started asking in a rather SERIOUS tone, "so, what's with the leaking dark liquid coming from this deck on the hole?"

We were learning how to deal with having a real marine head, and just flushed a lot. It is very easy to quickly fill up the tank.

Carlos

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2011 :  18:58:17  Show Profile
Oh wow haha!

I feared that was how you knew...I figured I'd have a hard time trying to keep track of who did what. I'd just pump it out every weekend but my marina doesn't have self pump out-I have to get on a list and they charge me to come drain it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2011 :  23:19:57  Show Profile
Man, that's gotta be seriously full (and gross) to come out of the vent.

I had a gauge on the holding tank in my travel trailer, but it would sometimes not read right if it got some TP on it. For the tank in my boat, I just place a flashlight on the top of it near the edge. The light shines in the tank and you can see the fluid level on the side.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glw
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2012 :  23:24:10  Show Profile
I wanted to get all of the water out of my boat so I pumped the sinks until no more water came. Then I sucked everything out the waste hole on deck. But the head would still fill with water when I pump it? I kept pumping it full and then pumping it empty for a long time but never seemed to run out of water for the head. Does it pump water from the lake, or does it just connect lower to the water tank? Also what valves should I have open/closed when I pump out. I have a valve under the stove, and one under the 'V' berth. Are there other valves I haven't found?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2012 :  04:16:28  Show Profile
On my boat the valve under the V berth is where the flush water for the marine head comes through. It is also the head sink drain. If you leave it open while sailing the head can run over. Not sure all boats are the same.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2012 :  06:32:08  Show Profile
If your head runs over when the seacock under the V-berth is open then the flush/dry valve on your head has failed. You should always leave it on dry when you aren't using the head.

A vented loop for the intake line (between the pump and toilet bowl) will prevent the head from ever flooding.

glw: Our C-25 had a third seacock next to the holding tank for dumping it overboard. We never opened that one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DrScow
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2012 :  20:49:55  Show Profile
One of the first task I did on my 1978 C25 was to rip out the marine head. Disgusting job; all the piping and tank were saturated with a terrible sludge. I drilled a hole in the holding tank and installed a port-potty with a custom vent to the outside. The vent avoids the major complaint of port-potty holding tank pressurization. We, as a responsible group of sailors, should be doing all we can to avoid dumping sewage into the ocean. This is especially true in the sensitive coastal areas that most of us sail in (i.e. Casco Bay, Gulf of Maine)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2012 :  12:55:48  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DrScow</i>
<br /> We, as a responsible group of sailors, should be doing all we can to avoid dumping sewage into the ocean. This is especially true in the sensitive coastal areas that most of us sail in (i.e. Casco Bay, Gulf of Maine)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I agree, but that doesn't mean getting rid of marine heads and holding tanks in favor of porta-potties. A properly maintained marine head system, pumped from certified or clean and functional sanitation services, is perfectly adequate for environmental protection.

Regardless of your sanitation solution: Porta-potty, marine head, organic head, bucket with lid, ziplock baggie.....proper disposal is the responsibility of each person.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2012 :  18:42:42  Show Profile
It's against the law in most areas of this country to dump raw sewage overboard. In most areas you'd better have the extra valve that goes overboard wired or locked shut or you can receive a large fine from the coasties.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2012 :  19:56:56  Show Profile
You think pumping a 10 gallon holding tank overboard is bad, you should see the chum trail made when my old ship, a USN guided missile cruiser, pumped the tanks at sea. 400 dudes can produce a whole lot of sh...!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page