Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Plastic tank that fits in the fuel locker? FOUND!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2011 :  21:24:20  Show Profile
My Prius has an expandable bladder for a gas tank. Too bad they don't make something similar for our boats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2011 :  21:56:06  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Oh, they do, there's 9 gallon or so bladder that would probably fit in the locker, and it's only about $400, before you add fittings. If I had unlimited funds I probably would have gotten one. Then again if that were true, I'd probably have a larger boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2011 :  09:36:45  Show Profile
How many C250's are out there with this problem? Determine the needed dimensions and talk to Moeller and Catalina Direct. Depending on Moeller's minimum production run requirements, maybe they could be talked into a new model. And maybe CD would be interested in ordering a bundle to offer to C250 owners. Just a thought!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2011 :  18:33:15  Show Profile
What are the dimensions that you guys need? I get catalogs from a company called The Sportsman's Guide that sells outdoor gear and they are offering a 6-gallon tank made by SeaSense for $24.97. The ad states measurements of 14x10x20"h. It has a handle on the end. Will that help?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2011 :  21:01:05  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />What are the dimensions that you guys need? I get catalogs from a company called The Sportsman's Guide that sells outdoor gear and they are offering a 6-gallon tank made by SeaSense for $24.97. The ad states measurements of 14x10x20"h. It has a handle on the end. Will that help?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I think it's too big. It's 20" high in the carrying position, but 20" wide when oriented for use on the boat:

<center></center>

The 3 gallon Honda tank lasts me long enough for my gas to go stale if I don't purge it periodically. For the annual cruise I supplement this with the Tempo Ultra6 tank for my Trophy boat, which I have converted from Force to Honda fittings. It fits right in front of the ladder, and can be easily moved if we need to exit through the transom.

As a reminder, it's the Tempo VALU6 tank that reportedly fits in the cockpit locker of the C250. But Tempo went bankrupt, Moeller bought out the product line, but discontinued the gas tanks. I've recently seen Tempo-style fuel level gauges appear on the Moeller tanks, which might be a sign that Moeller acquired some patent rights. But that's pure speculation.

If anyone is interested in begging a manufacturer to sell a tank that fits the C250, Moeller should be the first call. It's possible that they still have Tempo's injection molds for the VALU6 tanks, so it would involve the minimum development cost of any of the companies.

Before doing this, it might be nice for some lucky soul who has the VALU6 tank to actually confirm that it does fit in the fuel locker. I merely read it on the Internet, so it must be true!

Edited by - TakeFive on 11/15/2011 21:08:10
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2011 :  22:06:10  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Yeah, 20" width is too wide. The Quicksilver is almost exactly 18" wide, and just barely will slide in with a bit of encouragement.

It needs to be about 18 x 13 x 10 or so.

I should shoot off an email to Moeller to see if they still have the Valu6 molds.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:26:22  Show Profile
The Tempo Valu6 has dimensions of:
20-7/8" L x 11-1/4" W x 11-1/4"H
Doesn't sound like that would work though it is not exactly a rectangular tank so perhaps it could be squeezed in.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2011 :  11:18:20  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
That long dimension sound like it wouldn't fit length wise, the width & height are fine. However, my locker is 21" outside to outside, with an 18-3/4 opening, the internal is probably 20-1/2 or so? With the slanted sides, it might go in at an angle and be able to be straightened out once inside.. Does anyone have one in their fuel locker on their C-250? I'd be very interested to find out before I go down the path of bugging Moeller about it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2011 :  20:00:29  Show Profile
This may be an old web site, but it came up when I searched "Tempo Valu6". claims to have them in stock.
http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/browse_detail3.cfm/productID/20681.cfm

FYI, Found this, too, a UK company. anyone ever heard of Hulk fuel tanks?
http://www.gulfstreamshop.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=238&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedStates
The Valu6 tank holds 23 liters, the Hulk tank holds 22 liters.
Valu6 dimensions: 54 x 29 x 28 cm.
Hulk dimensions: 46 x 30.5 x 26.5 cm.
Price is about $40 but s/h pushes it up to $91 due to coming from the UK, so it may be too expensive to be considered.

Edited by - dmpilc on 11/16/2011 20:17:28
Go to Top of Page

Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
181 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2011 :  05:32:33  Show Profile
The Tempo Valu6 absolutely does fit. You have to angle it in and then give a little persuasion. Been using it for over 5 years. Finding one is the challenge!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2011 :  18:33:54  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
After a very-very long time, I finally found a plastic tank that fits perfectly. I'd tried to find an OMC Duratank locally, but couldn't, then earlier this week a guy down in Olympia put one up on Craigslist, but he wasn't willing to hold it for me because he had "people lined up to buy it". Well, I told him if he still had it on Friday, I'd come down today & pick it up (he's 90 miles away). So, on Thursday afternoon, apparently none of his queue had shown up to buy it, so he sent me email. Rita & I drove down there (and made a stop at the Cabela's as well) and picked it up. Stopped at the boat & voila, I now have a 6 gallon tank again!

New ones go for about $80+, but I was able to pick this one up for $40 (plus a 90 minute drive each way).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  09:04:01  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
David can you post the part number for that tank?
I googled omc duratank and found a 6gal model. No pics

Posted via my Nook tablet reader.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  12:28:24  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
http://theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/_177001_universal_duratank_6_gallon_fuel_tank.html" ]This is the model without a fuel gauge but does have 1/4" NPT fittings" target="_blank">[url=" http://theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/_177001_universal_duratank_6_gallon_fuel_tank.html" ]This is the model without a fuel gauge but does have 1/4" NPT fittings

[url="http://theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/_177001_universal_duratank_6_gallon_fuel_tank.html"]I'm pretty sure this is the same model as mine.http://search.boats.net/?r=t& q=dura-tank& x=0& y=0, it appears that Duratank makes a less featured model for $35 or so (this is the first time I've seen it), but I don't know dimensions or capacities, I just saw the diagrams for them.

I have a picture of the tank inside the locker that I took yesterday which I'll post shortly.

Note that they're both 6 gallon, not 6.5 like the Moeller/Tempos.

The only model number I can find on the actual tank is "P6A", which I don't see in any of the ads for it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  09:27:02  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
David, kudos! You are both patient and persistent. Nice find. Picture is small but it does look very similar to my 6gal Tempo. I suggest all you out there put on your Xmas list.
Happy Holiday,
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  10:19:19  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Here's a picture of the tank in the locker. Excuse the grime on the boat, we've had an inversion layer over Seattle for a couple of weeks, and the marina is in between two cement plants.

Edited by - delliottg on 12/12/2011 19:41:33
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  15:13:47  Show Profile
Would love to have one but it might create more problems, it takes me 3 months to go through the 3 gallons I have and I'm afraid with 6 gallons the fuel would go bad before it's used or accumulate more moisture. Anyone with a 6 gallon tank have this problem?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  19:49:21  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Well, until my old tank rusted, I never had any problems with the fuel going bad. I keep it treated with Stabil and that seems to work well, although my metal tank had Stabil treated fuel in it as well.

What I worry about is getting caught out in nasty weather with limited fuel. In one instance with our old 2-stroke, we burned through nearly an entire tank just trying to go into the wind back to our launch point. We had less than a gallon left when we got to the ramp. That scared me and I bought a second 6 gallon tank to bring with us so we'd always be sure we'd have enough fuel. Of course, since doing that we've never once been in that situation again. The Tohatsu is more frugal to run, so we should get more distance out of it, plus it sits far deeper in the water than the Johnson did, so it never cavitates (or at least not yet).

I guess the short story is, I'd much rather give away the gas (all our vehicles are diesels) than not have enough when I needed it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  17:24:32  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
David, my 2003 tank locker looks different and smaller. It looks like your lid just sits on top. Mine screws into brackets. BTW, was the tank tight or easy to get in. I have really work it in on mine.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  19:18:06  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Randy,
It's a bit of a squeeze to get it in past the part of the locker where it narrows, but just a bit. I whacked it with the palm of my hand & it popped in. And it was even easier to take out for some reason.

The dimensions of the tank are 18-5/8" x 11-1/2" wide, not sure of the vertical dimension, but it fits.

If you're interested, I can provide you with the dimensions of my locker, but I don't see where they'd be much use other than a comparison to yours.

I was also working on a Google SketchUp drawing of the locker, but my SketchUp-fu is not nearly as strong as my AutoCAD, and I don't have that installed on this box yet, so the 3D model is um...lacking.

And you're correct, my locker lid just sits on top, with bungees holding it in place from the inside. I presume from factory, but no idea if that's true or not. Do you mean if you want to open your locker, you have to unscrew it?

Edited by - delliottg on 12/14/2011 19:20:55
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  20:21:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piseas</i>
<br />David, my 2003 tank locker looks different and smaller. It looks like your lid just sits on top. Mine screws into brackets. BTW, was the tank tight or easy to get in. I have really work it in on mine.
Steve A
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Mine has a starboard lid held down with bungees, like Dave's. I've seen pics of lockers that are like yours. It seems that sometime between 1998 and 2003, Catalina switched from the starboard lid to a molded fiberglass/gelcoat lid with hinges.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page