Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New Sails needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zebra50
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/18/2011 :  09:14:34  Show Profile
I find that I am finally in need of replacing my main and jib after all these years. They are the original sails on the 1998 250WB. Can anyone fill me in on where is the best place/price to obtain new sails? I am not looking for high performance but something similar or close to the original. We sail on Lake Carlyle in IL., on weekends, in fair weather so the stress on the sails is minimal. There is no cruising unless you call an entire day on the water cruising.

Jay
Papa's Boat II
250WB #370
Blog:http://zebra50-boilingpoint.blogspot.com

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2011 :  09:53:27  Show Profile
I'm very happy with the Genoa I bought from [url="http://www.nationalsail.com/sailsfr.htm"]National Sail[/url]. I thought the price was right and the service (delivery time, etc.) was good. I've not had any problems with the sail so I've not had to test them but, I've not read anything negative about the company on these pages. When it comes time to replace the main, I'll likely buy it from National Sail.

BTW, they sell [url="http://www.rollytasker.com/en/home.aspx"]Rolly Tasker sails[/url]. It's an Australian company and the sails are made in Thailand. Others here will recommend a local loft. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of those at Lake Carlyle. I don't think the cost difference between "custom", made to measure sails and off the shelf sails from a large distributor is worth the expense for the kind of sailing you describe.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2011 :  12:49:19  Show Profile
John and I bought genoas from National Sail around the same time. My experience was good, too, so I'll second what he wrote.
If you want a second or third option, google The Sail Warehouse or Island Planet Sails. I've had good experiences with them also.

Edited by - dmpilc on 12/18/2011 12:51:26
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2011 :  13:06:20  Show Profile
I've been pleased with the cost, level of service, and quality from www.baconsails.com They also have a calculator that lists our boats and allows you to determine costs before you even contact them.
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2011 :  14:47:29  Show Profile
I bought a Main and 135 Genoa from Island Planet And I am very happy with them. I have a C25.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page