Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rebuilding a winch...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoshMcCullock
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/04/2011 :  13:33:57  Show Profile  Visit JoshMcCullock's Homepage
Hello all,
On my last sail I realized our port winch (original) was stiff as post. I was able to turn it with a winch handle fairly easily, but it definitely keeps me from doing those graceful tacks I've practiced so much.
I'm guessing it needs to be opened up and lubed or maybe even rebuilt. We've had multiple 100 deg. + days here in OKC. Is it possible that thinned the remaining lubricant just enough to lose seize it up?

I've heard of the "box over the winch" trick to keep from losing parts in the water. Any other pointers on this one? Does the tension ring on top require a special tool for removal? Thanks in advance & enjoy your season. One bum winch isnt stopping us from sailing in the meantime!

to life!
Josh
"Genevieve" 1980 SR/WK
Lake Hefner, OKC
www.towindward.tumblr.com

Edited by - on

Captnkev25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
36 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2011 :  13:59:28  Show Profile
Never had to do it bit maybe this will help. I plan on doing mine this winter

http://c36fleet5.org/PDFs/Winch_Maint.pdf

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2011 :  14:00:28  Show Profile
Josh:

JUST did this a few days ago. It's straightforward. Couple of tips:

1) The circle clip that holds the body on is a spiral clip. Pry the tip out and up and you can "unwind" it from it's seat fairly easily. Same thing replacing it - spread the spiral apart and put the bottom in first, the the top spirals around. It is NOT a circlip that needs to be spread out. I wish I had known all this at first.

2) The Lewmar kit for winch maintenance includes directions, brush, grease, oil, and a little pack of pawl springs to replace the ones that fly off into outer space.

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Lewmar-Winch-Spare-Parts/LEW19701500.html

Good to have. I also bought a pack of extra circle clips.

3) I used a box. It was good to have. I also suggest having a couple of small plastic or tupperware type containers to put the springs, pawls, parts into and let them swim in paint thinner a bit. Have plenty of paper towels on hand, too.

4) Pay attention to how the pawls fit in. It is very easy, after only 5 minutes, to look at it and not know exactly how they go in.

5) The two top pawl springs just sit in the pawls. When you pull the pawl out they come right out with it and slide out of the pawl spring opening (this makes sense when you look at it, trust me,) The two BOTTOM pawl springs sit inside the pawls as well, but there is a slight indent in the housing to let the spring click in. This holds the pawls in the housing when you take it off. You have to grab the end of the pawl spring and pull it out of the little slot and THEN you can pull the pawl out. Again, this is clearer when you look at it.

It took me 15-20 minutes to do the first winch, and probably 6-8 minutes to do the second one because I figured all this out.

Have fun, buy spare parts, don't set anything on fire.

Carlos

Edited by - calden on 07/04/2011 14:10:53
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2011 :  15:38:14  Show Profile
Josh, I've done it a couple of times, and it's not a big deal. Use the box and lay out the parts on an old towel in sequence as you remove them. That helps a lot with reassembly. Go easy on the winch grease. A little goes a long way. Cheers. Sol

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mmac
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2011 :  17:00:19  Show Profile
I had one quit working a couple years ago. I bought the rebuild kit at WM. I used the box trick to keep parts onboard. It was pretty easy even for someone like me with limited mechanical aptitude. It would have been even easier if I had used the towel trick mentioned above. Also, as mentioned, pay close attention to where those little springs came from.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2011 :  05:35:58  Show Profile
Josh - this is one of the easier maintenance tasks you will perform. No contorting yourself into places you don't belong, no scraped knuckles, etc. The only thing I would add to the good advice above is pull the drum off very slowly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:03:24  Show Profile
Before digital cameras, I drew sketches of what stuff looked like. Take pictures, easy to figure out where stuff goes when it's time to put it together again.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justincase
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
49 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2011 :  11:04:07  Show Profile
Mine had never been rebuilt (at least i don't think so) I had to us carb cleaner on all of the parts to get the grease off. The grease had hardened like old bubblegum. And LOTS of rags or paper towel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JoshMcCullock
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2011 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Visit JoshMcCullock's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pfduffy</i>
<br />Josh - this is one of the easier maintenance tasks you will perform. No contorting yourself into places you don't belong, no scraped knuckles, etc. The only thing I would add to the good advice above is pull the drum off very slowly.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thats good news, my knuckles will never be the same after those damn toe rails. We removed them to paint the deck. Talk about tedious!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JoshMcCullock
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2011 :  14:52:44  Show Profile  Visit JoshMcCullock's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by calden</i>
<br />Josh:

JUST did this a few days ago. It's straightforward. Couple of tips:

1) The circle clip that holds the body on is a spiral clip. Pry the tip out and up and you can "unwind" it from it's seat fairly easily. Same thing replacing it - spread the spiral apart and put the bottom in first, the the top spirals around. It is NOT a circlip that needs to be spread out. I wish I had known all this at first.

2) The Lewmar kit for winch maintenance includes directions, brush, grease, oil, and a little pack of pawl springs to replace the ones that fly off into outer space.

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Lewmar-Winch-Spare-Parts/LEW19701500.html

Good to have. I also bought a pack of extra circle clips.

3) I used a box. It was good to have. I also suggest having a couple of small plastic or tupperware type containers to put the springs, pawls, parts into and let them swim in paint thinner a bit. Have plenty of paper towels on hand, too.

4) Pay attention to how the pawls fit in. It is very easy, after only 5 minutes, to look at it and not know exactly how they go in.

5) The two top pawl springs just sit in the pawls. When you pull the pawl out they come right out with it and slide out of the pawl spring opening (this makes sense when you look at it, trust me,) The two BOTTOM pawl springs sit inside the pawls as well, but there is a slight indent in the housing to let the spring click in. This holds the pawls in the housing when you take it off. You have to grab the end of the pawl spring and pull it out of the little slot and THEN you can pull the pawl out. Again, this is clearer when you look at it.

It took me 15-20 minutes to do the first winch, and probably 6-8 minutes to do the second one because I figured all this out.

Have fun, buy spare parts, don't set anything on fire.

Carlos
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

GREAT info, thanks a bunch Carlos!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dblitz
Navigator

Members Avatar

240 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2011 :  20:53:19  Show Profile
The Lewmar 16's on my boat are very simple. If you can, before you lift the drum, keep the pawls from coming up with the drum (there are 3 of them and they have pawl springs which go flying). I use a hemostat to clamp on one of the pawls so I can concentrate on keeping the other 2 in place. Pawl springs ARE available loose for under $1.00 each rather than buying the kits which cost much more because they include pawls which you won't need unless a previous service lost one. Don't worry, this is one of the simpler tasks

Edited by - dblitz on 07/06/2011 20:58:08
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2011 :  07:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">Josh,
Lewmar has changed their web site but I found the service manual.
http://www.lewmar.com/assets/img/dataset/Manual-Winch%20Service%20Manual%20B2304%20iss6.pdf

Scroll down to page 32 for the one speed winches. The pictures and descriptions are pretty good.
I highly recommend the box over the winch, no need to chase parts.
Hope this helps.</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2011 :  11:32:30  Show Profile
Never had anything go flying when I did mine. Good idea to use the box but I also threw a towel over the bell when I lifted it up just so if somthing goes flying it will end up in the towel and not in never- never land.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2011 :  12:38:02  Show Profile
I should listen to my own advice.

My detailed advice (see above post) came from just having done my winches. However, I totally forgot the cabin top halyard winch. I was out by the boat yesterday for a race ( I crew on a friend's J/24) and thought "okay, I just did this, I can bang this out in 15 minutes." I thought I could just lift off the top section and put it right in a box on the cockpit seat and do it all there, and I did not use a box around it.

Ooops. I lost the top cap. Saw it lift off and bounce twice on the gunwale and into the drink, where it sank tantalizingly slow enough just to taunt me that I had taken procedure for granted. Grrr. Not a huge deal - they're about $18 - but it's my own sloppiness that is burning me. Grrr.

Carlos

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JoshMcCullock
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2011 :  22:56:20  Show Profile  Visit JoshMcCullock's Homepage
Agh, thats the worst!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page