Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rudder problems
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/08/2011 :  09:41:05  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
On my 89 I have the balanced foam core rudder I believe. A month ago I removed it to replace a broken pintle and noticed it had a couple penetrating oyster (I'm guessing) scrubs on the bottom and a ding/crack on the back edge below the water line and it was leaching water. So I drilled some holes in the bottom and left it in my garage to drain and dry. Yesterday I got some epoxy and picked up the rudder to bring it to the shop to repair. When I got to the shop and picked it up out of the the back of my car I notice that the crack on the back edge looked damp. Turned it back side down and water started dripping out. Wow! I guess with the foam core it can harbor water in different places that doesn't necessarily find it's way down and out.

Do I even need to worry about a small amount of water in this type rudder? Can I just dry the area and seal it up? Thanks for your advice!

Dave Robbins
PO to*Bamboo*
'89 SR/WK #5877
Daytona Bch., FL

http://bambooc25.weebly.com/

Edited by - on

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2011 :  12:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
If you do a search of the forum you will find dozens of threads on this exact topic including many with detailed explanations of repairs, info on replacement, safety concerns, etc.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2011 :  15:35:08  Show Profile
I think the water between the hard foam core and the fiberglass and gelcoat shell can do no good. When the rudder heats and cools each day, that water will create pressure in the small closed spaces that could only tend to make cracks worse.

I bet it's best to purge the water. You could turn it upside down and inject or pour as much acetone as possible down into the holes you've made, turning the rudder over and over so it reaches any gaps inside, and then dumping it out and repeating the acetone rinse out.

Finally heating the thing up in the sun while turning it over at variouis angles a few times an hour would evaporate the acetone completely.

Then you could fill in the gaps with the penetrating epoxy stuff you know about and seal it the holes.

Good luck with your repair.

Before doing any of this, I would call Catalina and ask whether the foam core is compatible with acetone. You wouldn't want to dissolve the foam core!

Edited by - JohnP on 07/08/2011 15:37:16
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2011 :  05:56:26  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
The threads I've seen dealt with wood core rudders I think Ryan, don't recall seeing any about foam cores. And John I don't think my problem is that bad, it's only drained an ounce or two and feels very strong. I think I'll just let it drain and patch it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2011 :  07:39:06  Show Profile
Balanced foam core from an '89?

It's ruined and worthless. You'll have to replace it completely with a whole new rudder. I'll take it off your hands though so you don't have to worry with throwing it away. I'll even pay for shipping.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2011 :  08:00:53  Show Profile
I agree your problem shouldn't be severe. You don't have to worry about freezing--other than that, water expands by only about 1-2% from just above freezing to near boiling. I suspect many of these rudders get some moisture inside, from the pintles or the tiller hole or whatever, like the old ones did... That's why I always stored mine inside over the winter. And the reason acetone only comes in metal cans is it dissolves most kinds of polymers, except during a very brief wiping-down.

Then again, Scott could be right!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/09/2011 08:01:59
Go to Top of Page

Ryan L
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
230 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2011 :  12:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Ryan L's Homepage
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/antares1.asp
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22719

There's more info but these should get you started.

FWIW I did similar repairs on the same type of rudder. Used G-Flex with good results because it is slightly flexible when cured.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  14:48:01  Show Profile
I wouldn't use Acetone, It might dissolve/melt the foam. Maybe alcohol is a better bet. I can't imagine that they build the rudder with open cell foam. ( Absorbs water ) I would hope that they use closed cell foam ( won't absorb water like the foam floats used under finger docks or surfboards ) You might just have some pockets of water between the foam and the shell. Maybe some heat lamps to warm the rudder for a few days would dry it up. I also repaired my balanced rudder with G-Flex, Excellent product for the rudder.

Edited by - islander on 07/11/2011 14:59:06
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  16:32:39  Show Profile
Bring the rudder to Nashville for a few days. When we got home today the temp was in the upper 90's with a heat index of 111 degrees. And I thought Mobile was hot!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page