Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Tiller confetti - replace rudder?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djbano
1st Mate

Member Avatar

67 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/23/2011 :  13:44:17  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
Recently, I noticed some play between the tiller and strap. There has always been a little play between the strap and rudder. I removed the tiller and noticed that the wood under the strap is rotten. I haven't measured to see which tiller is the correct replacement from catalinadirect.

I am wondering if it now makes sense to replace the rudder too? It seems like the rudder on catalinadirect is the ida. Are there no other options? Also, can this be done while the boat is in the water? If I have to take the boat out to replace the rudder, I'm more apt to just replace the tiller.

Opinions are appreciated.

CYANA
Denver
'98 250 WK TR #372

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2011 :  14:39:23  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
The rudder can be fairly easily removed while the boat's in the water. All you need to do is lift it off of the gudgeons after removing the retaining pin on the pintle. Lift it straight up about 1-1/2" - 2" and it should be free. Probably a good idea to tie a line to it just in case you drop it, it's kind of awkward.

I don't know how old your rudder is, but unless it's been cracked somehow, you shouldn't have to replace it. If it has been cracked you should probe through the crack with a screw driver or ice pick to see whether there's been damage. If the underlying material is spongey, you'll want to consider either repairing or replacing the rudder. If there are obvious signs of water intrusion there's a good chance you'll have rotten material inside.

As far as the tiller goes, having had my old one break off in my hands while sailing was an unpleasant surprise, but fortunately the stub was plenty long enough to get us back home without having to jury rig a tiller to the rudder. I built a replacement "temporary" tiller out of some laminated plywood, but I've been using it for a couple of years and feel no real need to replace it with a "real" tiller. I did find a spare on here about a year ago for a steal of a price, so I keep that on board as well just in case my plywood one falls apart (not likely, I built it like a tank).

Once you have everything back ship shape, you should work to remove the play from your strap to rudder. You can either shim it with fender washers, or do like I did, and lay on some thick epoxy putty, wrap the insides of the strap with wax paper and push the rudder into place. Once dry, it should come away from the strap cleanly (assuming you were very careful with the wax paper) and you have a perfect fit to the top of your rudder.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2011 :  14:48:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by djbano</i>
<br />I am wondering if it now makes sense to replace the rudder too?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I hope not! Which rudder do you have? Mine has a kidk-up rudder made out of what appears to be starboard or some other solid material. It's dirty, hit a couple of rocks once and kicked up but otherwise is in great shape. Do you remove it in the winter and store it indoors? If so, you're less likely to have the freeze/thaw worries that cored rudders have.

When you lift it off, be sure to have a line secured to it. Lifting over the stern, it will feel heavier than its weight.

Can you cut off the bad section of the tiller and re-drill for a shorter version? I'd at least try that to keep it as a spare.

BTW, I think the tiller should be tight enough to the rudder to prohibit and shake and shimmy. Use washers/bushings as needed. It should be just loose enough to be able to raise it up and down sufficient for navigation while standing.

Edited by - John Russell on 07/23/2011 14:49:51
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2011 :  15:59:12  Show Profile
What works good for me with an IDA beaching rudder [heavy] is lowering the swim ladder and dragging the rudder up through that opening, lot less lifting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djbano
1st Mate

Members Avatar

67 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2011 :  19:16:23  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
My rudder is fine. It is the unbalanced original. John I'm surprised that you have a kick up with a wing keel. Only considering a new one to go with the balanced rudder/tiller package and save a little $$. I will make sure to shim between the strap and rudder to ensure a tighter fit.

I don't need to save the old tiller as I have an emergency tiller aboard that I've already installed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  07:23:52  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by djbano</i>
<br /> John I'm surprised that you have a kick up with a wing keel.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I was too. It was there when I bought the boat. I was thankful, however, when I turned a little to close to the rocky(sloping) breakwall in my marina one day a few years ago.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djbano
1st Mate

Members Avatar

67 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2011 :  19:12:21  Show Profile  Visit djbano's Homepage
PSA: The company that manufactures the tiller for Catalina offers these for $78. Same tiller on catdirect is 119. The tiller # is 112. Call 323-636-1718. I've decided to keep the original rudder.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2011 :  12:11:35  Show Profile
<br />PSA: The company that manufactures the tiller for Catalina offers these for $78. Same tiller on catdirect is 119. The tiller # is 112. Call 323-636-1718. I've decided to keep the original rudder.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Unless things have changed, H&L Marine, the maker of the tillers, isn't exactly set up for consumer sales as not all that long ago, they didn't even accept credit card payments. I believe someone in my marina ordered one directly from them and may have paid via C.O.D. which adds to the total cost.

Edited by - dlucier on 07/27/2011 12:15:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page