Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 My First Mate finished new curtains
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikesuej
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
119 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/23/2011 :  19:00:26  Show Profile  Visit mikesuej's Homepage
The previous owner's wife was a fabulolus seamstress, but we didn't care too much for the burgundy color so I found a great deal on a role of really nice fabric on ebay any my wife set to sewing a new set. Come one - she's worked very hard - weigh in with your compliments if you think they're worthy.

http://seatitude.intuitwebsites.com/DSCN0313_op_640x480.jpg
http://seatitude.intuitwebsites.com/DSCN0307_op_640x480.jpg
http://seatitude.intuitwebsites.com/DSCN0310_op_640x480.jpg

Michael T. Janocik
Seatitude

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2011 :  19:14:08  Show Profile
Very nice curtains. My compliments to your wife. She did a great job!

I wish I had sewing skills.

Edited by - dlucier on 07/23/2011 19:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Scumbucket
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
53 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2011 :  19:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Scumbucket's Homepage
Awesome curtains you now have thar and my compliments to your wife as well!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2011 :  20:10:43  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Mike looks great. You are lucky man. It took my wife 2 months to sew a 3inch tear in my outboard cover. Of course it might take me 6 months to take a pic and post that.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  05:01:27  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Definitely Ship Shape!

Kudos to the misses.

Steve... does your wife read the forum... Sunday breakfast looks cold.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  07:19:55  Show Profile
I like them a lot. My wife and I were discussing the same idea for curtains the last time we were aboard together. Do you have the measurements she used? How are the rods attached and how did you compensate for the curved surfaces?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  08:08:11  Show Profile
Looks fantastic....great job...

What did you do with the old curtains? I need some....

Edited by - Joe Diver on 07/24/2011 08:08:45
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  11:32:54  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Here are your photos.

How did you attach the rods? We have folding curtains that are installed with double sided tape with Velcro strips to hold them in place. Pretty functional, but not as nice as these.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mikesuej
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
119 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  13:20:11  Show Profile  Visit mikesuej's Homepage
Thanks for the compliments from First Mate Susan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mikesuej
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
119 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  13:25:21  Show Profile  Visit mikesuej's Homepage
I used the old curtains as a pattern and simplified it for my lack of sewing ability. I sweated the fit and fortunately none had to be resewn. One fits too tightly but I'm not going to redo it. Basically there are 2 rectangular pieces for each window with a tunnel for the rod. Mike can post the details for the rods.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mikesuej
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
119 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  13:30:00  Show Profile  Visit mikesuej's Homepage
The credit here really goes to Tom Potter and his First Mate - he had the great idea of using some rope patterned wood trim from Home Depot or Lowes, stained it to match the teak, then bought some of the plastic icemaker/water line used to connect a refigerator's ice maker and cut that for spacers behind the wood. The wood easily bends to the contour of the cabin. So you basically use stainless steel screws with the aformentioned spacers to screw the rods to the interior cabin lining without going through the outside, obviously. The spacers are about 1/2" in lenght and the screw goes through them. My wife used Tom Potter's wife's curtains as the pattern. . . she said she could post measurements. . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2011 :  21:32:19  Show Profile
Well done! Those beat the stock curtains and make the boat much more homey in a nautical way.

How long did the screws protrude from the tubes/rod?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mikesuej
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
119 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2011 :  06:15:49  Show Profile  Visit mikesuej's Homepage
I wouldn't want to try to answer that without measuring because I wouldn't want you to go beyond the liner and into the outside wall. . . but if forced to guess, I think by the time the screw went through the wooden rod, spacer, there was no more than about 3/8"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  19:14:09  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
very nice, i like'em!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page