Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Bimini for 250
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lcogge01
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/18/2010 :  12:22:06  Show Profile
Who has a source for a bimini that will fit a 2000 250? It's getting hot here in Texas!!

Thanks!

Lon

Lon
Zermatt 2000 250 WK
Chandler's Landing - Rockwall, TX

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2010 :  14:41:54  Show Profile
Try www.boatcovers.com.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2010 :  14:07:53  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Lon, how much do you want to pay and do you want off the shelf or custom for better coverage. Finally, if you got a kit, can you install yourself and save?
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dan Lamb
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2010 :  09:04:51  Show Profile
Steve,

I've seen your frequent posts and have really admired your bimini. I have a few questions if you would be so kind. What are your dimensions? I would like to do the installation. How do you fasten screws and other fasteners into the fiberglass? Do you have to pre-drill similar to a hard wood? Do you bed the hardware with something to prevent leaks? I've noticed on my C250 that some attachments are surface and some are bolted completely through the fiberglass obviously for load requirements. Lastly were did you obtain you bimini? Thanking you in advance for your comments.

Dan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2010 :  13:39:37  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Dan, send me an email to: piseas at yahoo.com and include a phone. I will call back with specifics.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2010 :  07:48:18  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dan Lamb</i>
<br />Steve,

How do you fasten screws and other fasteners into the fiberglass? Do you have to pre-drill similar to a hard wood?

Dan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Gel coat is very brittle and can chip when you thread the screw in. After you drill the appropriate sized hole in your fiberglass, use a counter sink drill bit to relieve the gel coat. (Just enough so the thread from the screw does not contact the gel coat

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2010 :  09:48:59  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I know what you're saying Lon, I wouldn't survive without mine in Daytona!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:14:30  Show Profile
My bimini includes Velcro closed slots coming in from the sides to accomodate the backstays. One aluminum hoop is behind the backstays and two are in front. I have to partially disassemble the aluminum frame to install or remove the bimini. That's too time consuming to do frequently. The only place I can fold the bimini is up against the backstays. In that position it interferes with the field of view I need for racing. I have wheel steering. (Yes, I know conventional wisdom is that I should have a tiller for racing.) So I wish I could have a bimini that could be quickly installed and removed. A starting point might be three zippers to allow the section behind the backstays to be separated from the section ahead of the backstays. Does anybody have a quickly removable design or one that folds as far back as the transom ?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcogge01
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2010 :  10:46:12  Show Profile
It would be great if there was one that was "off the shelf" that fit and didn't need too much modification. Steve - is yours a custom job?

Thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dkn420
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
298 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2010 :  13:37:54  Show Profile
This is where I ordered my bimini for my 2004 WK...fit is great, mounts on the stern seats...

http://thecanvasstore.com/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcogge01
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2010 :  12:52:28  Show Profile
Thanks!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2010 :  13:21:51  Show Profile
Mine came from the Canvas Store also, although it was purchased by a previous owner. Outstanding quality! Mounts to the perch seats brackets without any fiberglass penetrations. See pictures and description on this thead:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=0.56& TOPIC_ID=21406

This one has zippers along all the stainless tubing and forward from the backstays, so the top can be completely removed without taking off the stainless hardware. For storage during the season, there is a boot that bunches it all together around the backstays.

Edited by - TakeFive on 06/26/2010 13:23:29
Go to Top of Page

bsmalley47
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2010 :  16:19:10  Show Profile
Hello! This is my first post to the forum. I just added a rail mounted bimini from Ameriseam out of Tampa to Windswept, a 2005 250 WK. Their website is www.ameriseam.com. There was no drilling and I installed it myself in about two hours. Fit perfectly. Has a zipper for the backstay, a window (with velcro flap)to view the mast and a boot. I am really happy with the results. I tried to attach a pic, but guess I'm doing something wrong!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

vholmstrom
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2010 :  13:04:49  Show Profile
Bob,

Is this the bimini that yu installed? http://www.ameriseam.net/home?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=2111&category_id=163

If so, did the window (with velcro flap) and backstay zipper come standard? Also, how much standing headroom do you have at the helm? I am 6'1" and wonder if I could comfortably stand at the helm or sit in the catbird seats with that bimini. I ask because I currently have a new C250 MKII WK on order and the dealer is recommending a custom bimini from a company in Miami for 1200.00. It appears the bimini from Ameriseam would better suit my needs (and height) at a better price. Of course I will have to install the Ameriseam bimini my self.

Thanks,
Vic

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bsmalley47
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2010 :  15:06:23  Show Profile
Vic,

Yes, this is the bimini. The window (with flap) and backstay zipper were standard. You have to order by phone and they will ask you which side the backstay goes to. I am 5'8" and there is plenty of headroom for me at the helm and in the catbird seats. I will be at the boat on Tuesday and will measure the height from the floor at the helm to the bimini, and from the catbird seat to the bimini and post again on Wednesday. The website says they usually ship in 14 days. It took about 3 weeks for mine to ship and shipping to Virginia was $70. I had it shipped to my marina as UPS wants an extra $70 to ship to a residential address. Kinda glad it was shipped to the marina as I doubt it would have fit in my car.

Until Wednesday!
Bob

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

vholmstrom
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2010 :  06:31:05  Show Profile
Bob,

The Ameriseam website saya the C250 railmount bimini comes with a boot. How does your bimini deal with the backstay when you want to roll it up and boot it at the dock or while sailing on cool days? Does it roll forward and boot around the backstay, or is there some way to boot it in the aft position?

Thanks again,
Vic

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2010 :  09:58:39  Show Profile
If you know the dimensions of the bimini you need you can order a three arch bimini from www.biminitop.net for $400 or so. BUT it will not have provisions for the backstays. Maybe the maker will customize it, i.e. add slots or holes, for an extra $100 or $200 ? Still that's half of $1200.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bsmalley47
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2010 :  14:28:56  Show Profile
Vic,

The height from the cockpit floor in front of the helm to the bimini is 74". The height from the catbird seat to the bimini is 43". The bimini would roll forward and boot around the backstay as the forward arch of the frame is forward of the backstay. At 6'1" this might be a little tight for you, but Ameriseam may be able to lengthen the supports a few inches. Might be worth a call to them. This bimini only covers the helm and catbird seats, but I like the design as it is well out of the way of the boom.

Good luck!
Bob

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

vholmstrom
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2010 :  06:42:36  Show Profile
Thanks Bob, that is the information I needed. I plan on ordering my bimini after I take delivery of the boat in November.

Vic

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bsmalley47
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2010 :  04:03:25  Show Profile
I think I have the "Posting Photos to the Forum" figured out and wanted to send photos of the Ameriseam rail mounted bimini on Windswept. Photos show entire bimini, window and flap:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2010 :  08:36:07  Show Profile
Based on a series of earlier posts about biminis, and a lot of shopping around, we bought a Westland bimini from iboats for our 2002 250 WK. Installation was a little tedious and does require drilling several small holes, but DIY and off the shelf was a whole lot less expensive than custom. Also took a while to find grommets large enough for the backstays to pass through, but found them at sailrite in CA.
Here's a link to iboats: http://biminitops.iboats.com/Bimini_Tops/BoatBiminiTop_(All_Years)_Westland-4687/6638/?session_id=835832089&cart_id=391396497

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2010 :  15:20:13  Show Profile
I bought the Ameriseam that Bob put on Windswept. Super easy installation. No holes to drill in the boat (always a plus) and plenty of shade for the helm and the catbird seat. It doesn't interfere with my sail mechanics; I didn't want a solution that forced me to raise the boom. And keeping it aft of the boom allows for great headroom.
I'm a satisfied customer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bsmalley47
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2010 :  04:19:05  Show Profile
Michael, happy to hear you are satisfied with the Ameriseam bimini!You always hate to recommend a product and then have somebody disappointed with it. We continue to enjoy ours and wish we had added it five years ago!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2010 :  15:43:39  Show Profile
I really like the Ameriseam product especially with the "window", I wish mine had that. I may make that a project for the winter. Mine was installed with the boat back in 99 or 2000. Very easy to take off and put back on.

this is a close up of the hull mount for the bimini

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2011 :  17:39:12  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Bump

Bob, any chance you could post the dimensions of the tubes? It's a shame to toss out those expensive SS tubes from the old bimini.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2011 :  08:13:13  Show Profile
From nebr.
Now that's a lot of money for a Bimini !!!
I picked up a 3 bow, 6 foot long, stock off the shelf, with some 4 foot long sliders form a catalog. Mounted the sliders on the side of the boat, facing up, redrilled the boom, so I could move the main sheet FWD about 18 inch's, and mount the Bimini between the back stays, and the mainsheet.
Now, If, like a lot of people do, you need the Bimini 10 feet in the air above the seats, or wheel, This will not work for you. if you need the Bimini over the Catbird seats, this will not work for you. But, if you can live with the Bimini over the Main part of the cockpit, and under the boom,this works VERY WELL. I sail most of the time with the bimini up. Now how hi is the Bimini over the main seating area??
Sit on your boat, put a hat on, now add another 6" over your head, will that work for you? Ya, your going to bend over when you walk in the boat, and the stock bimini will need to be cut down, "only the main mounting bar" but stop and sit down, now look in your pocket, what do you find, ALL THAT MONEY YOU SAVED!!!!!!
That's how we poor folk do it.
Dave B.
____________/)_______________/)____________/))))))______________

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page