Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Bimini for 250
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2011 :  10:01:46  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Dave B, I go with that concept up to a point.

The straps are one of those things that annoy me (I should get a thicker skin!) either breaking, flapping (even with twists) or need adjusting.
In our case, our original Bimini was made for the boat (at least that is what we ordered) but it never did quite fit. The front tube was too far forward unless we tipped the Bimini up like a peak. Hence the boom would rub the leading edge of Bimini and that's where the first wear marks appeared. I moved it back to the rail mount position and that helped, but my boat has a couple of poles on the back for the Solar Panel and the TV antenna.

So our new Bimini is going to be rail mounted, with bars on the sides between the front and rear tube, and our poles will be used to hold the back tube in place. I'll use Pip pins to secure the bars so that it can fold down ok. I'll also modify the tube lengths so that when they are folded down then can fit inside a Bimini Boot.

The plans are in the works. First step is to modify the tube setup so that all the above criteria are taken care of. Then I'll take the tubes to a local canvas shop in Fort Lauderdale and have them make the new skin.

The new skin (Sunbrella) will also have a new top hat that will stretch over the boom forwards to cover the pop top. It will also have a rollup cooleroo shade on the backside. Hey! we cruise!

Might even make (myself) a couple of pockets to hang off the sides just to get up the noses of the purists.

Our next trip is in August, so by then I hope to have several mods made but this is the biggest.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bsmalley47
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2011 :  15:20:48  Show Profile
Paul,

Here is the info from Ameriseam's website: Railmount bimini & boot, 55" long, 83 1/2" beam, 34" height above stern rail, side spreader bar, aft stanchion, 7/8" stainless steel framework, backstay cutouts.

My invoice says the bimini was 48" long. Looks like they may have added a few inches.

I will agree that this bimini was a bit pricey, but the quality and ease of set up was well worth the extra dollars!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hotshot9999
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2011 :  08:58:53  Show Profile
I will agree with Bob I just got mine from Ameriseam and the quality is fantastic and built perfect for my 2002 C250 #581.

They were a little slow in getting it to me but the invoice came and they gave my a $50 discount for late delivery. Also they did not charge my credit card until they got conformation from the shipping company that it was delivered.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page