Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Gel coat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jan Briede
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/15/2011 :  11:49:22  Show Profile
I need to repair a one-square foot section of gel coat on my boat and got the west Marine system. Well as soon as I put the correct amount of hardener in it turned into oatmeal. Did it twice with no success. The second time I even used less hardener. Reading on the West Marine product review, everyone seems to have the same disaster.

Does anyone of you have a recommendation on some decent gel coat that does not set up in less then 3 seconds into some rubbery mess that can not be spread? Thanks.

Jan

Jan Briede
Beagle
1979 TR #1242 FK
L-Dinette
Yorktown, VA
Blog -- http://vanomad.blogspot.com/

Edited by - on

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2011 :  12:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I suppose you still have too much of hardener.
How much do you use? What is the mixing ratio 1:100?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2011 :  17:48:07  Show Profile
Jan,

Gel coat does have a pretty short shelf life (like 90 days or less.) Who knows how long it was sitting in the warehouse or store. If you explain to West Marine that you followed the instructions - they have a pretty liberal return policy. I had a friend that mixed an entire gallon of System 2000 at once thinking it would wouldn't cure between coats. Real bonehead move - but WM still refunded his money . . . I was shocked.

<i><b><font color="blue">My opinion is gel coat is as much art as it is science.</font id="blue"></b></i>

I had a professional patch a small area on my previous 1981 C25. I am not exaggerating when I say he sprayed, sanded, and polished the gel coat in about 30 minutes.

For the novice - I think Minicraft of Florida is the best option. Very helpful people and they have formulas for dozens of factory colors - including Catalina Yachts.

I believe they now have aerosol kits that greatly reduce the guess work. Just be sure follow every <i>syllable</i> in their directions!

Their website is pretty diverse - so you have to nose around.

http://www.minicraft.com/index.html

Good luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2011 :  18:05:03  Show Profile
Thanks OJ ... West Marine actually told me it was he batch and there was a recall. They gave me a new can right there. I'll be trying it again this weekend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2011 :  11:28:12  Show Profile
Jan, how did the gelcoat repair go?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2011 :  05:24:20  Show Profile
Jim, with a little colder weather and a lot less activator (like 5 drops instead of the recommended half tube) it went reasonably well. After some sanding etc the job does not look too bad.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2011 :  20:50:59  Show Profile
Nice! Thanks for the update, too. Are you going to be painting over it, or does the gel coat pach match close enough that you won't need paint?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2011 :  08:08:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimGo</i>
<br />. . . Are you going to be painting over it, or does the gel coat pach match close enough that you won't need paint?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Jim, one of distinct advantages of gel coat is its hardness and durability. If you read some of the threads here on gel coat vs paint - paint is usually used as a last resort.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page