Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 ping* lake Michigan sailors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ape-X
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:34:28  Show Profile
So I have a friend coming out to the boat this weekend: Checking the forecast, today and tomorrow are incredible, while it looks manageable for our Saturday sail. Guess I will have a chance to check balance of the boat reefed and the 150% gen furled in...

Today: SW wind 7 to 12 kt increasing to 16 to 21 kt in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 27 kt. Rain and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. Waves 1 to 3 ft.

Tonight: W wind 23 to 28 kt becoming NNW 33 to 38 kt in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 50 kt. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 8pm, then showers likely. Waves 8 ft building to 12 ft.

Friday: N wind 32 to 37 kt decreasing to 21 to 26 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 47 kt. A chance of showers. Waves 13 ft subsiding to 10 ft.

Friday Night: N wind 14 to 20 kt. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy. Waves 9 ft subsiding to 6 ft.

Saturday: N wind around 13 kt, with gusts as high as 19 kt. Mostly sunny. Waves around 4 ft.

Saturday Night: N wind 7 to 12 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Mostly clear. Waves 1 to 3 ft.

from noaa.org
What are the biggest conditions anyone has sailed in?
Anyone witnessed these on the great lakes personally?
Aside from intellicast / noaa / Marine radio reports: What are the best predictors for sailing conditions in terms of websites?

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746

Edited by - on

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I like sailflow and windfinder for predicting conditions. Local conditions are always a trick though. If you can keep to a bay or protected area, you can take advantage of the wind without getting beat up by waves. Then again, I don't sail on the great lakes, so wadda I know... I have heard some pretty good stories about L. Mich though.

http://www.windfinder.com/
http://www.sailflow.com/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2011 :  07:07:26  Show Profile
So you'll be in Saginaw Bay? I spent the first 30 years of my life in the Chicago area and in Michigan... In Saginaw, any strong winds with a north or east component will bring big waves out of L. Huron. If westerlies are straight off-shore for you, seas could be reasonable within a mile or so of shore (in "reasonable" wind). Ocean sailors might tell you they've been in 8'+ seas without incident... They haven't seen them on a Great Lake! They're talking about loooong swells.

Now, speaking just about the wind, IMHO, with a single reef and a partially rolled 150, you'll be struggling above 25 kts. The 150 does not make a good storm jib. Of course some sailors revel in what scares the $#!+ out of others... Remember that thunderstorms can mean a brief dead-calm followed by winds in the 50s--not something to mess with on a Great Lake with limited places to run and hide.

Check your "balance" on Saturday--if you go out today or tomorrow, you might not have a rig on Saturday. And if you're going out and in through a jetty, big seas can make that a nightmare--a dangerous one. (You can go over to there and watch--I don't think you'll like what you see.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/29/2011 07:15:12
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2011 :  07:38:09  Show Profile
We are curently docked in Muskegon Lake. There is a channel out to the big lake that the ferry uses as well. We have run up the channel only to turn around as it was not pleasant out. Why beat ourselves up? Good thing is wind is also typically different Muskegon from Michigan, so if there is no wind in one, try the other lake.

Anyway we are headingto the boat Saturday morning only, and I will be staying on Sunday to tidy up for the end of season sail the following weekend. We should miss the heavy weather as long as the front continues through as scheduled.

I am hoping to move to Huron in the next two years. (1.5 .vs 2.5hr drive from our home) This winter I think we are staying put, as moving the boat across state is $ignificant $.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2011 :  08:04:08  Show Profile
Ah HAH! As a kid, I spent many summer vacations on White Lake just north of Muskegon... knocked around in small boats on that lake and L. Michigan, and had some fun rides through the standing waves in the channel between them! Wonder if I'd recognize the place now...

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/29/2011 08:04:34
Go to Top of Page

KeziCat
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2011 :  07:56:10  Show Profile
Michigan greetings Ape-X.

We are slipped about 2-1/2 miles up the Kalamazoo River in Douglas/Saugatuck, MI.

After spending Thursday and Friday night on the boat we learned that, even docked this far off Lake Michigan in gale, conditions can be like trying to ride the mechanical bull at Gillie's. It was rough sleeping Thursday night to say the least. Up every hour or so to check lines. The storm surge caused an almost 2 foot increase in water level. This of course changes everything for bumpers and dock line settings.

An odd change in the sound of the screaming winds woke us early Friday and just as we sat up our neighbor's boat crashed into us. I quickly grabbed a spare dock line and secured the offending vessel to her own dock. I was amazed to see that even though the storm had been forcasted for days my neighbor has only tied off with the weakest lines. You know the stuff you can get at Wal-Mart, $2.99 for 50'. Although the incident caused only minor damage to Oberon I wonder what would have happened if I were not on site. I respect my neighbor but can't help but think "what kind of sailor ties up a vessel for a gale with little more than a length of clothesline and some old boot laces"? I drive six hours one way from Akron, OH to enjoy time with my family and Oberon. My neighbor, who lives in the same town as our marina, can't come down to ensure his vessel (or mine)is safe. Conditions are improving so I'm contemplating taking my line back from my neighbor's boat and telling the marina staff to call the guy or secure his boat some other way. Sorry just venting here.

Anyway, life along the west coast of Michigan is starting to turn to nature's amazing fall color show and we hope to get out later this afternoon or Sunday if conditions improve.

We hope to see you on the water some time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2011 :  04:36:25  Show Profile
middle of lake michigan showed 21 foot waves
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45007

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2011 :  20:11:29  Show Profile
sailed out of Saugatuck as a child. That cemented my lobe of sailing until this summer my wife and I fulfilled a 30yr dream.....
was able to sail today: beautiful. Saturday was 4-6 footers and heavy winds. I see a lot of the cheap poly line around here as well.....although i am using a section for a downhaul, and for tarping the cockpit.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KeziCat</i>
<br />Michigan greetings Ape-X.

We are slipped about 2-1/2 miles up the Kalamazoo River in Douglas/Saugatuck, MI.

After spending Thursday and Friday night on the boat we learned that, even docked this far off Lake Michigan in gale, conditions can be like trying to ride the mechanical bull at Gillie's. It was rough sleeping Thursday night to say the least. Up every hour or so to check lines. The storm surge caused an almost 2 foot increase in water level. This of course changes everything for bumpers and dock line settings.

An odd change in the sound of the screaming winds woke us early Friday and just as we sat up our neighbor's boat crashed into us. I quickly grabbed a spare dock line and secured the offending vessel to her own dock. I was amazed to see that even though the storm had been forcasted for days my neighbor has only tied off with the weakest lines. You know the stuff you can get at Wal-Mart, $2.99 for 50'. Although the incident caused only minor damage to Oberon I wonder what would have happened if I were not on site. I respect my neighbor but can't help but think "what kind of sailor ties up a vessel for a gale with little more than a length of clothesline and some old boot laces"? I drive six hours one way from Akron, OH to enjoy time with my family and Oberon. My neighbor, who lives in the same town as our marina, can't come down to ensure his vessel (or mine)is safe. Conditions are improving so I'm contemplating taking my line back from my neighbor's boat and telling the marina staff to call the guy or secure his boat some other way. Sorry just venting here.

Anyway, life along the west coast of Michigan is starting to turn to nature's amazing fall color show and we hope to get out later this afternoon or Sunday if conditions improve.

We hope to see you on the water some time.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2011 :  05:16:02  Show Profile
Yesterday was the last sail of the season :O( But a GREAT sail on Lake Michigan. Made a 40mile day out of it, heading downwind to Duck Lake, then turning upwind port tack head on into 1ft seas (I said it was a great day!) and carrying 3.8kts speed upwind at a lovely 30heel. A quick beam reach to check speed potential pulled hull speed within 5 boat lengths... The Starboard tack was beam seas, which I learned carries the boat to leeward a good deal: 3 attempts later, I made the channel and the wife and I enjoyed a downwind sunset. A great first summer aboard the little C25.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page