Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New Motor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lonnie
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/28/2011 :  15:59:07  Show Profile
I have finally replace my 5HP Nissan, manual start, with a Tohatsu 9.8HP, electric start on my 2002 C250 WK. I need to drill a hole to run the wires to the battery. Can someone tell me where this should be done. Pictures would be a great help.

This is my first post and if I have not done it correctly, please let me know.

2002 C250 #604
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas

Edited by - on

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2011 :  17:57:46  Show Profile
Welcome Lonnie! My cable goes though the starboard coaming and directly to the battery terminals.

It is a standard thru-hull and water never gets in.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 10/28/2011 17:58:42
Go to Top of Page

Sailor Vic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

56 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2011 :  07:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Sailor Vic's Homepage
On my 2005 250WK I have a Marinco brand male/female connector going through the hull. It's called a Marinco ConnectPro 2-Wire Trolling Motor Plug/Receptacle Kit.

Such as shown at http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=58086&familyName=Marinco+ConnectPro+2-Wire+Trolling+Motor+Plug%2FReceptacle+Kit+

It came with my boat that I purchased used and I find it's a nice way to go because should you want to take off your motor at any time you just unplug the male connector in the cockpit.

I bought a new motor recently (same as yours - a wonderful Tohatsu 9.8) and didn't even have to go down below to disconnect anything. I just cut the electrical wires on my new motor to shorten them and added the male plug and all was ready to go. Really sweet.

At a boat show recently I saw an even nicer looking quick disconnect set-up. I didn't need one and so am spacing out on the brand name. The male and female connector parts were orange in color.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2011 :  11:29:41  Show Profile
Drilling holes in my boat for a pass through is only at a last resort. The prime reason is that sealing to prevent water intrusion can be very difficult. Here are pictures of the trolling motor plug installed. It comes with seals.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2271 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2011 :  11:59:47  Show Profile
My wire goes through a hole in the same location as Randy's. But instead of a through-hull or plug fitting, it has a simple Perko clamshell vent screwed over it to prevent water from entering:

<center></center>

This was not my design - it came this way from the PO. And I wasn't too crazy about it at first. But I've gotten to like it for several reasons. I hate drilling new holes, and since the hole there is plenty big to pass additional wires through I have used it for that without having to drill more holes. In addition to the alternator cord, I also have added the wire for my Standard Horizon RAM mic and a 12V accessory adaptor through that hole. My offseason todo list includes dedicated holes to permenantly mount both of these additional things, but there's a very good chance I won't ever get around to doing it because I hate drilling new holes so much.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lonnie
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 10/31/2011 :  16:52:27  Show Profile
Thanks Randy, Sailor Vic, and Jerry for your response. This is my first sail boat and I have a lot to learn. I really appreciate the ideas from the more experienced.

A friend of my mine with a C25 suggested I look at a motor mount similar to what is on the C25's to give more room to move the engine to steer in tight quarters. Has anyone seen this on a C250?

Thanks again.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2271 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2011 :  06:55:20  Show Profile
Most of the C25s seem to have mounting brackets. Some C250s have them, but many do not.

I have the older squared off Honda, much like Randy's (but a little more powerful). Mounted directly on the transom in exactly the right spot, there is just room for full rotation, but only with the tiller up. So I constructed a hard link. Scroll down on this thread to see description and picture:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20807&whichpage=3

Newer Hondas look to have a much larger head/cowling arrangement, so they may not rotate. I do not know about the Tohatsu. Also, newer models of the C250 may have a wider motor well, so they might allow for rotating a larger motor.

Some people love having brackets. But remember that moving the motor further back makes it a longer reach to the tiller, and might also increase cavitation in rough seas.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2011 :  18:50:35  Show Profile
My boat has a trolling motor power outlet mounted on the vertical surface near the motor and a matching plug on the wires from the electric start. I like being able to connect or disconnect the motor to the boat battery in a few seconds without any tools or crawling under the cockpit.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|51495|316468&id=1450010

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lonnie
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2011 :  15:13:07  Show Profile
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I plan to install my new motor this weekend directly to the transom. It looks like there will be little room to move the motor one way or the other once it is installed. I am still thinking about a motor mount to give me more steerage in cramped quarters. Any comments from those with or without a mount??

Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2011 :  16:39:53  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Lonnie,
Here's [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17458&SearchTerms=mount,tohatsu"]how I mounted my Tohatsu 9.8 on my '97 C-250[/url]. I mounted it on a Garelick scissor mount which gives me enough room to swing the engine through it's full rotation, and get it deep enough that it no longer cavitates.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2011 :  17:05:18  Show Profile
I have a Garelick mount as well. My lines are routed through the fuel locker vent and through a hole in the locker. Wouldn't have been my design, but it works. If I were to to it over (I might next year) I think I'd go with the plug.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page