Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker sheets & hardware
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/10/2011 :  04:38:33  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Now we are the proud owners of an Asym Spinny for JD, I'm looking at putting all the hardware together.

The sail is a Thurston, .75oz radial head, single stitching, 3 step stitching, gold asymmetrical.
luff: 27'0"
Leech: 24'6"
Foot: 16'10"

Currently I have a block attached to the front edge lifeline loop of each catbird seat, but that's it.

I was thinking of just putting a cam cleat on top of each coaming.

The spiny has a shute.

Currently we do not use the jib halyard (we have a cdi furler)

I have a new sheet line that I bought for our 150Jib, but wonder what is the max diameter of line to use for the Asym?

Can I get away with using the blocks and a cam cleat, or should I look for a pair of winches?

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2011 :  05:34:25  Show Profile
I don't know if it will work on a C250, but the arrangement I use on my C&C 35 is that I attach a snatch block to each stern dock cleat. Then I lead the spin sheet through the block and bring it forward and wrap it around my primary winch. My primary winches are self tailing, so I use the self tailers to cleat the line. Thus, I use the same winches for the spinnaker that I use for the Genoa. The way I attach the snatch blocks to the cleats is that I tied a small loop in a short piece of line, shackle the block to the loop, and then attach the loop to the dock cleat. It's simple and works fine. You can buy pre-made loops for the purpose, but the last time I priced them, they cost $60.00.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 11/10/2011 07:09:44
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2011 :  07:27:14  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Leading the lines fwd to the winches sounds good ( right price. ) to me Steve. I'll have to measure to make sure my lines are long enough.

Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2011 :  08:07:57  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />Leading the lines fwd to the winches sounds good ( right price. )
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> That's what appealed to me about it. Having an extra pair of winches might be worthwhile on some boats for racing, but for a cruiser, using the primaries for a spinnaker is entirely satisfactory. Also, on a smaller boat, with a smaller cockpit, you just don't have enough room for extra winches and/or extra crew members. People start tripping over each other. Simplicity is good.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2011 :  10:24:21  Show Profile
I think it's time to move the winches. I think the geometry of the lines running from the catbirds (or stern cleats) to the cabintop winches and a wheel in the cockpit makes for an awfully small cockpit. Move the winches from the cabintop to the coamings and replace the starboard winch with another one for the halyards. You should be able to route the jib halyard to starboard with a block at the base of the mast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2011 :  11:40:52  Show Profile
how far back do the genoa tracks run? On the C25, they run all the way back to the rear cleats, allowing for an additional block to be mounted. Turn around that block, and back to the coaming mounted winches. I have pulled back the genoa block when flying wing-on-wing with good success. I haven't tried a spin yet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2011 :  14:15:11  Show Profile
The tracks on the 250 end forward of the winches and IMO are too far inboard to be effective for a big sail. I sometimes think that includes my 135%.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2011 :  15:04:54  Show Profile
Since I fly my asymmetrical only when the winds are on the lighter side, I've never had much of a need to put the sheet to a winch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2011 :  05:07:42  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Don, which kind of cleat do you use for the spinny sheet, cam, horn, ???

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2011 :  06:34:26  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />Don, which kind of cleat do you use for the spinny sheet, cam, horn, ???

Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Horn cleat. I sail with no particular destination so I cleat my sheet then sail to an apparent wind angle which means, for the most part, once I cleat the sheet I'm adjusting the boats heading if the wind shifts rather than adjusting the spinnaker trim.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2011 :  07:15:38  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Ah! Sailing with no place to get too.. But sailing! Love it!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2011 :  15:54:19  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Ok, I think I have all the hardware (new cam cleats to mount on the coamings)

Reading up on flying an Aspin, think I have it down.

So far my plan is to fly it inside the forestay. So I'll use the Jib halyard (which is aft of the furler) to hoist the shute.

I have a shackle on the tang of the forestay plate at the bow and will attach a block there for the tack.

Will run a line from the tack through the block and to the port winch.

Continuous sheet will run from the clew to the block on the catbird seat and down to the new cam cleat.

I was going to remove the core of the sheet from the clew to the block when the sail is pulled tight (ie shortest length from clew to block) to reduce the weight of the sheet at the clew.

Am on on the right track so far?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2011 :  18:23:20  Show Profile
<br />So far my plan is to fly it inside the forestay.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I find it much easier to gybe the spinnaker outside the forestay, as it's a lot of sail to stuff through the smaller foretriangle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2011 :  07:23:55  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thanks Don,
my spinny sheet is 70' long, do that would be sufficient.

I would have to look for a spinny crane.

May put the stick up today to check out the rigging.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2011 :  09:20:31  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
After much thought, I have decided to adopt Don's 'outside' gybing setup.

So I will need to get a spinnaker crane.

[url="http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2092&ParentCat=235"]Found this[/url] on CD. Anyone know if it's compatible with a 2005 C250 WB. I read the advice on the CD site, but will have to wait till next week to get a response from them (that's ok, it is thanksgiving! )

The question is do they consider 2005 to be a 'later model', Our masthead casting looks really similar to the one on the CD site, but actual experience wins on this one.

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 11/24/2011 09:21:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page