Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mainsheet traveler
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willy
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/25/2011 :  19:44:50  Show Profile
Has anybody installed a mainsheet traveler on a tiller steered 250WB ? I am thinking of installing one on the bridgedeck.
Willy

Edgy, WB#655
Dewey Beach, DE

Edited by - on

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  05:50:48  Show Profile
My 250WK came with a mainsheet traveler, I thought it was original equipment, must have been installed by the PO.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  06:04:04  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Pictures Steve ???

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2271 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  07:52:56  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tradewind</i>
<br />My 250WK came with a mainsheet traveler, I thought it was original equipment, must have been installed by the PO.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Although this may not be true any more, at one time Catalina supplied the 250WB without a traveler, and the 250WK with one:
<center>

</center>
These pics are from [url="http://texassailor.com/photo9.htm"]a nicely written online article [/url] that describes some of the differences in the rigs. [url="http://texassailor.com/photo12.htm"]This part[/url] mentions the traveler differences.

Although there is no perfect placement for the traveler on our boat, the location Catalina selected is a pretty good balance of performance considerations vs. cockpit ergonomics. I'd encourage the OP to consider using Catalina's design. If you don't frequently fill up your cockpit with people, you might consider a longer traveler, as that can give more twist to the boom in light air and a flatter mainsail in heavy air (relieving stress from the vang).

Edited by - TakeFive on 11/26/2011 08:15:52
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  08:46:50  Show Profile
The second photo above is how my 1998 WK is rigged. The PO moved the boom attach point about 12" forward to accomodate a larger bimini.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  09:22:25  Show Profile
I wonder what the rationale was for not supplying a traveler for the water ballast version. Is there some kind of structure under the "bridge" on the WB that would prevent adequate attachment?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  10:02:20  Show Profile
If you lengthen the traveler beyond that shown in the photo you'll need to modify your cockpit cushions because they cover the bench areas beyond the traveler.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2011 :  09:31:53  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback guys...great link Rick! I am really trying to continually tweak my rig to further reduce weather helm so the boat tracks a bit better. The steps I have taken so far...better and more frequent mast tuning...an IDA kick up made a hair longer...the addition of weight in the bow have all helped, but I'd like to see if I can get it just a bit better. I'm guessing it comes mostly from the forward positioning of the mast, something I'm thinking Catalina did to increase cabin spaciousness.
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2271 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2011 :  11:19:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willy</i>
<br />Thanks for the feedback guys...great link Rick! I am really trying to continually tweak my rig to further reduce weather helm so the boat tracks a bit better. The steps I have taken so far...better and more frequent mast tuning...an IDA kick up made a hair longer...the addition of weight in the bow have all helped, but I'd like to see if I can get it just a bit better. I'm guessing it comes mostly from the forward positioning of the mast, something I'm thinking Catalina did to increase cabin spaciousness.
Willy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Have you checked your mast rake? If it's more than 4" you should reduce it. It will lessen your weather helm.

I cranked down my forestay turnbuckle last spring as far as I could, but I need to remove some washers from under the furler drum to crank it down further. I will do that after I drop the mast next week.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2011 :  12:29:18  Show Profile
Remember, 'tis better to have weather helm than lee helm. Don't take the mast too far forward, particularly if you have a big headsail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2011 :  17:39:19  Show Profile
Rick, I've never had it back further than 2". John I had to laugh at my own lack of clarity in description, the guys on the pier tell me I should physically move the entire mast sternward ... not the rake. Not really an option!
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page