Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Something New...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/07/2011 :  11:10:56  Show Profile
...for skinny-water dreamers, the [url="http://www.sailmagazine.com/sailboat-reviews/seaward-46-0"]Seaward 46[/url]. Hake has always been an innovator...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  13:38:47  Show Profile
They have been my dream boats for years ( OK a few years ), for Florida Bay. Kinda wanted to hear more about how the electric keels hold up...

Code Zero.. nice.

Edited by - redeye on 12/07/2011 14:04:01
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  13:40:26  Show Profile
I got on board the boat at the St. Petersburg boat show last weekend. It is definitely innovative, but the cabin had a strange layout. It had what looked like a captains chair smack in the middle of the cabin, raised up, so that you could see all around. But I didn't see any type of controls. We didn't speak to anyone at the display, so maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. The forward stateroom had very impressive room around the center-line berth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  14:05:13  Show Profile
<< the chair >>

For the Wife on Watch...

Edited by - redeye on 12/07/2011 14:06:10
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  14:27:46  Show Profile
Wow, that was pretty. So, how long until those become "reasonably" priced on the used market, and how old will I be when that happens?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  15:25:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimGo</i>
<br />...So, how long until those become "reasonably" priced on the used market, and how old will I be when that happens?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I've been to Hake's shop in Stuart, FL. I could envision them building maybe--<i>maybe</i> four of those a year (along with some smaller boats)... It'll take a while.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/07/2011 15:28:07
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  19:05:36  Show Profile
I have 2 friends who own the 26 footer with electric retracting keel. nice boats, but very expensive. Stainless trim around the side portlights is a $4k option.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  19:27:56  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimGo</i>
<br />...So, how long until those become "reasonably" priced on the used market, and how old will I be when that happens?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Jim - I looked at a used Seaward 26 when I was shopping for my current boat. Very nice hardware, fit, and finish.

As for prices dropping to become "reasonable," I did a lot of research on 25-34 foot Catalinas when I was shopping, and if well maintained they don't drop much from their original selling prices. Soldboats showed well maintained boats selling for about what they sold for when new. A 20 y.o. boat only seems like a bargain because its new price 20 years ago was lower than the price of a comparable new boat today. In other words, Catalinas hold their value. They don't depreciate much at all - but like any boat you have to continue paying for maintenance and updates to maintain its value, which is where much of the cost of ownership lies.

IMO, the only incentive to buy used is because the initial cash outlay is lower, which translates to savings if you consider the time value of money. That's a very real factor if you're financing, because the lenders are very good at profiting from the time value of money.

I'm not sure all brands are like Catalina, but I suspect that a small builder like Hake would hold its value at least as well.

So the direct answer to your question is that you'll have to wait until inflation makes today's new boats look cheap compared to the 2040 model year boats. ;-)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  21:10:00  Show Profile
Rick, Yeah, I too was thinking it would be about 30 years from now. Hmmmm...I'll be about 70 then. Hmmm...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2011 :  22:07:38  Show Profile
...and I'll be 97.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2011 :  04:17:30  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Hopefully a healthy 93!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2011 :  07:02:29  Show Profile
Southerly is another builder specializing in skinny water sailing.

[url="http://www.northshore.co.uk/"]Southerly Yachts[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2011 :  10:01:24  Show Profile
After the Publishers Clearing House folks pay me a visit, I'll consider one of those beauties!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2011 :  11:13:13  Show Profile
I bought a lottery ticket yesterday, but I think I'll stick with the 32. I don't know if I can wait for the drawing before I order it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2011 :  10:32:51  Show Profile
I too have seen the Hake designs and have been intrigued. Does anyone have first hand experience as to how they perform in different conditions? The reviews all seem to take place in light wind only.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2011 :  15:53:56  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigelowp</i>
<br />...The reviews all seem to take place in light wind only.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Perfect for western Long Island Sound!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2011 :  20:44:50  Show Profile
Dave, you need an electric retracting mast for your bridges, maybe you could beta test the mast system for them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  08:34:49  Show Profile
Maybe on the 32... The 46 is too big for my slip at home. Hmmmmmm...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  21:51:02  Show Profile
Dave
there was nothing light about the winds on Western Long Island Sound this year. This years, seemed like every time I went out there were either fierce northwesterlies or a backdoor cold front bringing in cold easterlies. Never a dull moment, except . . . the only day I was out in Fisher's Island Sound, the day was a drifter!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  22:37:22  Show Profile
Bruce: I lived on your end for 25 years... this end for seven... Fronts are fronts, and nasty weather is nasty weather... but on any given "nice day" in the summer, there's no comparison! The only constant here is, in lighter air, dealing with the tidal currents that are making your end go up and down 6-9' every 12 hours!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/12/2011 22:42:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page