Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Masthead Sheaves
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/11/2011 :  10:59:52  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I'm in the process of installing a masthead crane for our new to us asym spinnaker.

When I removed the jib halyard sheave from the masthead in order to mount the crane fitting, I noticed the sheave was failing.

NOTE: JD is a 2005 Model, so is only 6 years old

Here's some pics of both the jib and main halyard masthead sheaves.

Obviously the Florida Sun is not kind to this material.

Looking to find replacements.
I found [url="http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=171"]these on CD[/url] for the C25, but have not found any specifically for the C250 yet however, the masthead casting for the C25 is shown and is indicated for both the C25 and C250

Just a heads up to you guys that can take a peek at your masthead sheaves while your mast is down for the winter.

I think I'll make a masthead boot similar to the one I made for the CDI furler drum to keep th e sun off the masthead when the boat is on the trailer.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  13:16:45  Show Profile
You might check with dwyer mast and see what they have.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  14:50:47  Show Profile
Call catalina direct ...I'm sure they have experience with both. 25 & 250

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  15:14:44  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
That seems like an awful lot of damage in six years. I wonder if treating them with 303 yearly would help? Not sure how it would work on a hard material as opposed to cloth type stuff.

I wonder if you could make a stiff cloth cover you could raise on a pig-sticker type of flagstaff. Raise it up above the crane by pulling the pig-sticker upright, then lower over the top to protect from UV. Getting it around your antenna might be a trick, but if yours is like mine, it's offset from the crane, so it could probably be done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  20:21:49  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
As we drop the pole every trip to bring JD home, putting a 'bag' over the masthead would be an easy task.

I would make it with slits to go around the antenna and wind transponder.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  20:47:27  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Hmmm...had I put a moment's thought into your situation...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  20:56:53  Show Profile
Paul,

Mine looked exactly like yours when I dropped the mast last year. I replaced them with the CD sheaves that you linked. Dimensionally, they were a perfect match for the originals.

The ones that CD shipped were actually black (contrary to their pictures), which I think improves their UV stability.

Edited by - TakeFive on 12/12/2011 06:52:08
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  04:25:45  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thanks for the heads up Rick.

FYI.
I noticed that the mast crane sheave pin is a smaller diameter than the masthead fwd sheave pin, I'll have to ream out the crane sheave pin hole to take the original pin rather than use the skinny new pin that came with the crane.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  07:41:13  Show Profile
Looks like the bearing on my CDI furler.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2011 :  22:43:34  Show Profile
I don't think the white acetyl plastic has much, if any UV protection or stability. I haven't researched it, I'm extrapolating from the condition of the black (not acetyl) sheaves in my Harkin blocks compared to some others on Pearl.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  04:25:02  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tradewind</i>
<br />Looks like the bearing on my CDI furler.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I will check mine too! Thanks Trade wind

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  07:41:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041</i>
<br />I don't think the white acetyl plastic has much, if any UV protection or stability. I haven't researched it, I'm extrapolating from the condition of the black (not acetyl) sheaves in my Harkin blocks compared to some others on Pearl.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">From what I learned about plastic plumbing on docks, carbon is added to the plastic, which blocks UV from penetrating deeply enough to damage the material. Ordinary PEX pipes quickly become toast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  07:50:41  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tradewind</i>
<br />Looks like the bearing on my CDI furler.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
This is puzzling to me, since the plastic block inside the furler drum gets absolutely no UV exposure. Mine is 12 years old and looked pristine when I checked it last April.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'd be curious to hear anyone's experience with CDI's ball bearing upgrade for their FF4. My wife complains that our current FF4 (without the ball bearing upgrade) is hard to pull out/in, but I think most of the resistance is the sail and wind, which the bearings won't help. Does the ball bearing make a noticeable difference?

I guess this is a relevant question to this thread, since if Steve's block is deteriorated severely he may want to consider the ball bearing upgrade instead of a direct replacement.

Edited by - TakeFive on 12/14/2011 08:47:11
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  08:17:35  Show Profile
Rick,
I have always had the B/B option so I cannot comment on the difference but your observation regarding the wind and sail is spot on as evidenced by the ease of rolling in the furler as the exposed sail surface is reduced. If it is hard to furl when the sail area is reduced I would check the furling line alignment with the fairleads from the cockpit to the furler and flush the B/B's with fresh water (per the manual).
Paul,
When I replaced my masthead sheaves (from CD)on my C25 they were black anodized aluminum.
Would those work on a C250?

Edited by - Sloop Smitten on 12/14/2011 08:18:43
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2011 :  08:20:31  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The sheaves are in the UPS, will update when they arrive.

Thanks for the heads up Joe.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page