Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 I think we've picked our new home port
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimGo
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/08/2012 :  15:35:15  Show Profile
As some will remember, when we purchased our boat in October, we struggled with where to keep her, whether to try to make the move at that time, how to move her, etc. At that time, our intention was to keep her in Ocean City, about an hour and a half (drive) south of the previous owner's home in Toms River. Steve Milby was kind enough to offer to help me sail her at least part of the way down, but I chickend out when the PO said that he wasn't too comfortable with the engine making a trip like that. We found a local marina owner who took us under his wing, gave us a slip to use for the last month of the season for free, and we've been using them for winter storage.

Of course, from the moment she came out of the water (and even before), I've been itching to find a new home for the boat. The Toms River area is beautiful, and the marina where she's wintering (Dillon's Creek Marina) is beautiful, the people are very nice, and the owners are fantastic, but the location just isn't right for us. We really wanted to move the boat down to Ocean City to be closer to my in-law's condo, and the OC area has the largest protected body of water that's close to their condo. So, we had been looking at either Harbour Cove Marina, Graef's Boat Yard, or All Season's Marina. Despite me having fond memories of All Seasons as a kid (my parents kept their power boat there) we effectively ruled it out because it would be a 30 minute ride along the channel before we could start sailing. I wasn't too keen on Graef's (not sure why, really), and Harbour Cove was more than we really wanted to spend (though they are "known" for being able to handle sailboats), but every time I looked for other marinas in that area, I had trouble finding some that could handle/would accept a sailboat.

My searches kept turned up a place that USED to be called "Great Egg Bay Sailing Marina", but Google shows it as having closed. I'm familiar with the area where the marina is; there's a jet-ski rental there now, but when I pulled up Google Maps, it also showed that the old sailing marina's docks were still there, and there were boats at the dock. So, on a whim on Monday I called the jet-ski place, and they said that they didn't run the dock, it's actually a separate marina, and they gave me the number of the owner. It turns out, it's owned by Harbour Cove's parent company. The guy who runs the marina also teaches sailing at the Ocean City Yacht Club and a few other local venues. We talked about our boat, it's draft, and the local conditions quite a bit, and I think it will be a good fit for us, and he sounded excited to have a sailboat there. The marina isn't anything beautiful, but it is in a great location, the bay will be basically right at our door, and we'll have easy access to the bathrooms (a "must", considering my 2 small kids). Two of the other boat owners are local police, and they help make sure the marina is properly patroled at night, which makes me feel more comfortable about both our safety and the boat's, too.

Now I'm getting excited! Of course, I'm writing this as snow is falling heavily outside my window, but that's not stopping me from scheming about how to get the boat down to her new home!

- Jim
Formerly of 1984 C25 named Dragon Wing

NOTE: In my case, PLEASE don't confuse stars/number of posts with actual knowledge. On any topic.

Edited by - JimGo on 02/08/2012 15:38:28

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2012 :  16:05:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimGo</i>
<br />...USED to be called "Great Egg Bay Sailing Marina"...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">What's it called now? Is it on Marinas.com? (I see one with the old name.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/08/2012 16:25:14
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2012 :  16:58:58  Show Profile
Good for you Jim. I forgot you have kids that will be sharing this experience - that's great!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2012 :  17:10:02  Show Profile
I'll have the contract on Friday, and can tell you the marina's name then! It isn't on Marinas.com, but it is basically the same as what you see under the old name.

Edited by - JimGo on 02/08/2012 20:50:06
Go to Top of Page

keeldad
1st Mate

Members Avatar

84 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  07:16:16  Show Profile
Jim, If you're talking about the place across the bay from the power plant, I would check the water depth issue carefully. I kept a Hereschoff Eagle on a mooring there several years ago and although we were able to sail several hours on either side of high tide, the water depth made getting in and out a major issue. It's a shame because in it's heyday, the place was a cool funky old small-sailboat yard. The community vibe made it worth it to be there even with the water situation. I still have several T shirts from the old "Great Bay Yacht Club". There's no place like it anymore in the S. Jersey area that I know of. Skip and Randy who owned the place were great but they told me one of the reasons they decided to sell out was because they couldn't get the place dredged and it was getting worse. Perhaps the basin might have been dredged after the condos were built but I would confirm this. I'd also inquire as to the condition of the channel getting in and out of the basin.
I truly hope that you find the place suitable because that would mean another Cat25 on Great Egg Bay this summer and that would be great!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  07:54:45  Show Profile
John,
Thanks for the feedback. The marina manager and I discussed some of those exact issues. He said that they take a tug out every season to check the depth in/around the marina to ensure access to the channel and bay.

My expectation is exactly what you described - sailing several hours on either side of high tide. As long as there's a channel that I can use to get from the marina to the bay, or more correctly BACK from the bay to the marina, I hope I'll be OK. I will confirm the channel issue with the marina owner though, just to be sure.

I'm looking forward to seeing you out there, John!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

keeldad
1st Mate

Members Avatar

84 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  12:46:26  Show Profile
Sounds good. I drive past that place almost every day on my way to and from work. If they've cleared out the channel and basin I might consider moving my boat over there next season just so I can admire her twice every working day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  12:52:51  Show Profile
John,
If you want to send me a PM, I'll send you the marina manager's name and phone number. You can tell him I called. Maybe we can start a Great Egg Bay fleet!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  14:53:03  Show Profile
I'm cross-posting this, for completeness. For reference, here's a chart of my new "playground". I circled the marina area in red, near the bottom left-hand corner of the chart. Given the data on the chart, for planning purposes, I'm going to assume that my boat has a 3' draft, and that most of the bay is about 1' above MLLW (the basis for the depth numbers in the tide charts). So, basically I think I'll need the tide graphs I linked to above to show +2' for me to be "OK" sailing through the bay.

I think the two bridges near the bottom are really my biggest issue, and thankfully the bottom bridge is no longer in service and is permanently in the "up" position, and the other bridge has more than enough clearance for my boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  16:55:38  Show Profile
Maybe it's me, but that bay looks like most of it is very shallow. I see lots of blue marked 1-3.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  19:13:37  Show Profile
Nope, it's not just you. But I know of 2 or 3 other C25's who sail in there regularly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  19:19:39  Show Profile
How high are the wires crossing it? Can't read the chart above.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  21:05:57  Show Profile
I want to thank you all again VERY much. I appreciate everyone going over everything so thoroughly! John, the cables have an authorized clearance of 50' across most of the bay, and 76' over the channel. Plenty of room for me to get under.

Here's a link to the tide info for the bay, and directly across from the marina: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions/viewDailyPredictions.jsp?bmon=02&bday=09&byear=2012&timelength=weekly&timeZone=2&dataUnits=1&datum=MLLW&timeUnits=2&interval=highlow&format=Submit&Stationid=8534975

Edited by - JimGo on 02/09/2012 21:08:36
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2012 :  21:44:26  Show Profile
BTW, John (Keeldad) did you see a blue-hulled C25 sailing in the bay? I almost bought a different C25 swing keel from a guy who kept her over near the airport.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2012 :  12:29:08  Show Profile
Now called Sunset Bay Marina. I'm still not seeing it on Marinas.com, though.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2012 :  13:04:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I'm going to assume that my boat has a 3' draft<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
This is true with the keel fully retracted but can you sail a swinger that way? Is that safe? If not I think you might consider one of these after looking at the depths on that chart

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page