Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Adding an axle to a trailer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JimGo
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/14/2012 :  14:27:55  Show Profile
I've found someone local who has a trailer that he claims is for a 25' sailboat. It's a single axle, though, so I doubt it will be a good choice for the C25. Realistically, what's involved in getting a second axle installed? I realize I'm not providing any data, but are the axles typically the weak links, or is the frame also as significant an issue? Or, phrased another way, how likely is it that if I add a 2nd 3500lb+ axle, that the frame (and thus the trailer) still won't be able to handle the weight of the boat? Does anyone know an approximate price for an axle (including installation)?

- Jim
Formerly of 1984 C25 named Dragon Wing

NOTE: In my case, PLEASE don't confuse stars/number of posts with actual knowledge. On any topic.

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2012 :  19:11:11  Show Profile
Hi Jim,

In my <u>un</u>professional opinion, a single axle trailer frame is designed to carry a single axle weight . . .

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Edited by - OJ on 02/14/2012 19:13:23
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2012 :  20:01:11  Show Profile
If that trailer was strong enough to hold a C25, it would have 2 axles. I agree with OJ.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2012 :  20:15:06  Show Profile
The single axle trailer under my old CM-21 was about the same length as Pearl's trailer, but that was the only similarity. It wouldn't make financial sense to build a stronger, heavier, and more expensive trailer and then make it less valuable by parking it on one axle I support the above opinions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2012 :  20:24:20  Show Profile
Measure the frame rails. If they are 5" you might be able to use it.

Why not take some pictures and post here or show them to a local trailer outlet. They might be able to advise. Another option would be to look at the VIN plate on the tongue of the trailer to see what it's rated for or get the VIN # off the trailer and call the manufacturer of the trailer and see what they can tell you about it. Most of the larger trailer manufacturers keep records on each trailer they build.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2012 :  21:12:43  Show Profile
Gary,
I already have a call in to them, but apparently they left for the day. The trailer has a C22 attached to it, but I'll try to post the pics the seller sent me.

The other comments essentially echo my own thoughts - the trailer was PROBABLY built to only carry whatever the axles were rated to, or some engineering safety margin above that weight. But then I had the nagging question of whether it might be more cost effective to stick with a single size for all of the frame, since the tooling cost would be lower, and they would be buying in more volume. That's what lead me to call the manufacturer, and what lead me to post here.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2012 :  21:17:19  Show Profile
OK, here are the pics:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  06:54:35  Show Profile
<font size="6"><font face="Georgia">That trailer looks way to light to haul a C25.<font size="6"></font id="size6">I just replaced the 3500 pound axels with 5200 pound on my trailer. Both 3500 pound axels were bowed from being overloaded. I would not recommend you try to add an axel. Two 3500 pound axels are marginal for a Catalina 25 in my opinion and from what the trailer I use experienced. The weight of the trailer frame work and the boat with items inside will be at max weight for 3500 axels. </font id="Georgia"></font id="size6">

Edited by - hewebb on 02/15/2012 06:54:59
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  06:58:06  Show Profile
Thanks. I hadn't seen the pics before I started the thread.

It's disappointing, because the boat is very close to home, and the price is great! I have a friend who is considering buying a lake home, and was going to "donate" the boat to his home so I could sail there, too!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  07:57:38  Show Profile
Also keep in mind state laws regarding vehicle/trailer inspection. You may know PA requires brakes on <u>both</u> axles for trailers over a certain weight.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  08:50:11  Show Profile
Thanks OJ. From a safety perspective, I was already planning on that anyway.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  09:21:35  Show Profile

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also keep in mind state laws regarding vehicle/trailer inspection. You may know PA requires brakes on both axles for trailers over a certain weight.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

OJ would you happen to know what weight that is and... is that trailer only, boat and trailer, boat trailer and accessories?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  09:55:10  Show Profile
That trailer frame looks fine for a C25 (if it's 3x5 tubing). Supports are definitely adequate. But it certainly needs another axle, maybe 2 if that's not a 3500lb axle with brake. If it's a steal of a deal, then get it and add an axle.

Edited by - NautiC25 on 02/15/2012 09:58:58
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  12:04:09  Show Profile
Hey, that C-22 looks nice. Get the model/serial number from the trailer, then call Sea Lion and ask them if it would be safe to upgrade the trailer. I bet they will say no.

http://www.sealiontrailers.com/boat_trailers.htm

BTW, according to this web site, their single axle trailers go up to 4x3 frames and even with 2 axles the 4x3 frame trailers max out at 4,800-5,000 lbs. depending on the type of suspension. Not enough for the C-25. Their next frame size is 5x3.

Edited by - dmpilc on 02/15/2012 12:18:12
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  12:15:10  Show Profile
hewebb, how much did it cost you to change out your trailer to 2 5K axles?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  13:12:18  Show Profile
David - thanks for noticing the frame size on their site.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  14:42:59  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zeil</i>
<br />

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also keep in mind state laws regarding vehicle/trailer inspection. You may know PA requires brakes on both axles for trailers over a certain weight.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

OJ would you happen to know what weight that is and... is that trailer only, boat and trailer, boat trailer and accessories?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/179018-pennsylvania-boat-trailer-inspection.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  15:05:34  Show Profile
Hmmm...the maximum capacity I see for a 4x3 frame on their site is 5200 lbs. Looks like it MIGHT be do-able, but I'd REALLY be pushing it, and have no margin for safety (which means I won't be going after this one). Darn.

Edited by - JimGo on 02/15/2012 15:07:49
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  15:58:31  Show Profile
Remember you live in the land of overabundance. Sooner or later a C25 trailer will go on the market.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  19:03:55  Show Profile
Wise words. I'm just impatient! This one is literally in the next town over, and they want $1500 for the boat. My wife, who usually frets about spending money on the boat, actually had her interest piqued at the idea of a 2nd boat up at our friend's house.

Edited by - JimGo on 02/15/2012 19:05:10
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  19:20:57  Show Profile
Pennywise, pounds . . . literally!

I've paid the price of over-stressing stuff . . . trying to save money but paying more in the end

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  19:39:41  Show Profile
I've seen dozens of trailers just like this one with C22 on them. In my opinion there is no way that trailer is heavy enough for a C25. First of all it looks to short and the frame is not heavy enough to handle the weight.

It might be OK for a yard trailer or if you're only going to tow a few miles twice a year but no way for an over the road on a regular basis.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  19:46:06  Show Profile
I'd have a 40-50 mile tow to get the boat from its current position to a marina close to Ocean City to launch the it, then the trailer would mostly be a yard trailer. However, the goal would be to be able to take the boat places (by land) occasionally, so...

The ad said the trailer was for up to a 25, which is what got my attention. Once I saw it was a single axle, I started having second thoughts, and now that I know more about its construction (or likely construction), I won't be going this route.

So, anyone know somebody who wants a C22?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  21:36:59  Show Profile
When it comes to trailers it just doesn't pay to take short cuts. It could be your life or someone elses.

On another note, I spent months looking for a trailer for my boat. Finally found one when I happened to call a local broker. They'd just sold a used Mac 260 and the new owner didn't want the trailer. The trailer was less than 2 years old and had never hit the water (the PO launched with a lift). Paid $1500 and I've spent another $500 or so modifying it to fit my C25.

Be sure you actually need a trailer rather than just want one. I've owned mine now for 2-1/2 years and the boat has spent a total of about an hour sitting on the trailer while adjusting the pads to fit. In the mean time I've been paying $45/mth to store it for the past 2-1/2 years.

The only reason I keep it is in case a hurricane comes through again. I can at least pull it and run and/or get it away from the bay. Of course I could also put the money in the bank instead of paying storage every month and use the money to have a professional move the boat before the storm hits.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2012 :  21:42:42  Show Profile
Gary,as of now, I donr NEED the trailer. I'd like one, because we have romantic visions of taking the boat to FL and the great lakes to do some sailing. It also reduces my winter storage costs. But you are right, there are additional expenses with everything, and at this point I don't NEED it. But, I keep looking anyway, on the off chance...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2012 :  07:39:04  Show Profile
Someone in our marina went so far as to contact C25 and trailer listings - explaining that if they receive an offer for just the boat, he'd be interested in the trailer. Eventually he got a reply from a seller saying his dock neighbor had a trailer he no longer needed. He ended up buying that trailer.

Place a WANTED ad on http://claz.org/ You can cover the entire country with this site. Create opportunties, be in the right place at the right time . . . yachti, yachti, yachti

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page