Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 CDI Furler
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zebra50
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/03/2012 :  15:57:59  Show Profile
After all these years I just realized that the jib halyard is tied to the jib with a bowline and not secured with a shackle as my main is secured. Any reason for that or should I add a shackle? The CDI manual does not address this issue.

Jay
Papa's Boat II
250WB #370
Blog:http://zebra50-boilingpoint.blogspot.com

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  16:48:36  Show Profile
If it ain't broke, don't worry about fixing it. The jib will be fine, just check the main halyard knot each time you raise sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  17:18:03  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Our boat had the CDI furler from new, still has. The jib halyard runs through the furler flexible extrusion(foil). The tail end of the halyard lays in the groove one the outside and the sail bolt rope lays in the groove on the inside of the foil.

We have always just used a hitch to secure the halyard to the head of the jib.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2270 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2012 :  17:18:19  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zebra50</i>
<br />After all these years I just realized that the jib halyard is tied to the jib with a bowline and not secured with a shackle as my main is secured. Any reason for that or should I add a shackle? The CDI manual does not address this issue.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You're probably much better with a knot. Less weight, less chafe, less corrosion, less opportunity for mechanical failure. The only benefit of a shackle is convenience if you secure and release it frequently. But the whole point of a furler is so you WON'T have to do that.

FYI, I just have a knot on my furler halyard.

You should keep an eye on how the halyard is weathering. Inspect it every time you drop your mast. The part that is buried in the extrusion will undoubtedly be fine, but the ends that are exposed to sunlight all the time could dry and break at some point. CDI's dealers will sell you a replacement, but you must drop your mast to install it. I have my replacement, but won't install it for another year.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zebra50
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2012 :  09:03:45  Show Profile
thanks to all. a knot it shall be then

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page