Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Gas Storage Location
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tomh
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
83 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/30/2012 :  08:52:59  Show Profile
Greetings All,

I have been searching forums but have not been able to find anything that is on target.

I store a 6 gal tank in the port locker on the back shelf that I believe is there for that purpose. The fuel line runs from the outboard (tohatsu 9.8) on the port side in through the cowl, down through vent tubing and back up to the tank.

My questions:

1. What are the other options beside a built in tank? (I was impressed with one that was in an older forum; maybe some time in the future).

2. If the tank should stay on the shelf, then how should it be secured?

Tom

1978 C25 "Karma" #790
Toledo Beach Marina
LaSalle, Michigan

Edited by - on

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2012 :  09:37:04  Show Profile
I have a moeller 6 gal tank in that location. It is secured by a strap screwd to the bench, like a seat belt. Makes it a little hard to climb in and out of the locker (I have been doing a lot of electrical. I also added one of those stainless vents 3 by 5 inches or so for better ventilation. Seems to work fine.

dave

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2012 :  17:03:46  Show Profile
Having any gasoline below decks requires you by law to install and maintain a ventilator to remove potential accumulated gasoline fumes from the space that could cause an explosion. In later models, Catalina created a tank compartment that while under the aft port seat, is indeed a part of the deck and not below decks.
While I had, for some time, stored my spare gasoline can in the fender locker (dumpster), I stopped doing so on the advice of this forum. Now I keep my spare gas can in the under-seat gas locker. When I invert the spigot, the gas tank fits like a glove in my gas locker.
I should no longer have to worry about creating an explosive atmosphere due to gasoline fumes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2012 :  17:37:52  Show Profile
1) A 3 gallon Nissan/Tohatsu tank fits perfectly across the back of the cockpit. That isn't a very useful area anyway (people can't sit back there too easily without the tiller getting in the way). My 1984 has the proper fuel locker, but I keep my "spare" 3 gallon tank out there.

I agree with Bruce that I wouldn't keep fuel in anything that vents to the bilge (like the dumpster).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2012 :  18:20:18  Show Profile
I have the factory installed ventilation system.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2012 :  18:35:31  Show Profile
Don,
Is that a passive vent or is it powered with a fan? I saw one of the same vents on a local C-22 and it got me wondering. if it's powered then it meets specs, if "wind powered" then it probably does not.
A loooooong time ago I worked as a design EE for intrinsically safe computer equipment on oil rigs specifically for explosive environments. I've heard too many stories about injuries or death due to negligence.
I just don't want to ever take a chance - consequences are too great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2012 :  18:53:55  Show Profile
Bruce,

Actually, it's referred to as a "natural" ventilation system and yes, it meets federal requirements. A "powered" ventilation system is only required in a compartment with a permanently installed gas engine with a cranking motor for remote starting.

Edited by - dlucier on 07/30/2012 18:59:28
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2012 :  08:13:24  Show Profile
Adventure is a 79 model so it has the tank in the dumpster design with “Natural” ventilation. When I got her about 20 years ago this bothered me, so I took the plastic 6 gal. tank and installed a second fuel port connection. This port is like the one that the gas line connects to, with some exceptions.
1. There is NO fill tube connected to it. The fill tube which is on the original port is the internal hose that goes from the port to the bottom of the tank. This is what sucks the gas out of the tank, and puts it in the gas line that goes to the motor. With this second port installed on what is the top of the tank when it is sitting in the dumpster, it can be used as a vent port
2. The vent port (as I will refer to it) is not the same brand as the outboard. In other words I have the 9.9 Honda. The gas port is a Honda fitting. The vent port is for a Mercury outboard. The two are incompatible with each other, so I can’t make a mistake and connect the wrong one
3. I have installed a screened vent outlet in the side of the seat. This is on the side that faces the cockpit, not the exterior hull. I did this so no water could be pulled in when healed over. THE VENT WAS PURCHASED FROM WEST MARINE. IT IS GAS VENT, IT IS MADE FOR THAT PURPOSE. Do not use something from Home Depot.
4. There is a hose attached to this vent. USE APPROVED GAS LINE FOR THIS. I have routed the vent hose so it goes up into the interior aft space where the aft pulpit is fastened to. This is a hard to get at spot, but there needs to be a loop as high as possible to prevent any rain water from getting into the hose, and flowing back to the tank. This spot is the highest interior spot in the aft dumpster area. In the 20 years I have used this system there has never been a problem with it.
5. On the other end of the hose is the quick-fit disconnect that matches the vent port
6. The vent fitting on the tank has a method of closing itself whenever the quick-fit connection is not on it. So unless I connect the vent hose to it, the port is closed
7. When installed the vent that comes with the tank is closed, so the only venting is through my system. The fumes will exit into the cockpit area, where they will go through the drain scuppers, like the newer model Catalina’s
I am not an engineer, I only am sharing what I have done on boat

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2012 :  08:38:08  Show Profile
Regarding the passive vent system used on those boats without a separate fuel locker for those who may not be aware. There should be two hoses routed to the dumpster. The first goes from the vent facing forward (port side on my boat) and directly over the fuel tank shelf. This hose is suppose to run to the bottom of the dumpster. The second hose is routed from the vent facing rearward (starboard side on my boat) and is routed to and though the hole at the bottom of the dumpster. The theory is the rear facing vent creates a negative pressure when underway and the forward facing vent is creating a positive pressure. Since they are both connected to the dumpster the flow of air runs in from the forward facing vent and out through the rear facing vent. You may be able to do without the hose connected to the front facing vent but if you are missing the hose to the rear facing vent you are venting any fumes that may accumulate into the bilge area.

By the way when I replaced my hoses I used the plastic hoses they sell at RV supply stores for emptying the waste tanks. A lot cheaper than the hose they sell at marine supply stores. You may need to use a heat gun to expand the end of the hose to fit over the vent connection.

Edited by - Sloop Smitten on 07/31/2012 08:38:55
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2012 :  09:10:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sloop Smitten</i>
<br />Regarding the passive vent system used on those boats without a separate fuel locker for those who may not be aware. There should be two hoses routed to the dumpster. The first goes from the vent facing forward (port side on my boat) and directly over the fuel tank shelf. This hose is suppose to run to the bottom of the dumpster. The second hose is routed from the vent facing rearward (starboard side on my boat) and is routed to and though the hole at the bottom of the dumpster. The theory is the rear facing vent creates a negative pressure when underway and the forward facing vent is creating a positive pressure. Since they are both connected to the dumpster the flow of air runs in from the forward facing vent and out through the rear facing vent. You may be able to do without the hose connected to the front facing vent but if you are missing the hose to the rear facing vent you are venting any fumes that may accumulate into the bilge area.

By the way when I replaced my hoses I used the plastic hoses they sell at RV supply stores for emptying the waste tanks. A lot cheaper than the hose they sell at marine supply stores. You may need to use a heat gun to expand the end of the hose to fit over the vent connection.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Interesting!!! On my boat the vents face the opposite direction. The starboard has the long hose but faces forward. Do you think that is a concern, I still have one facing aft, which is over the fuel tank with the short hose

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tomh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
83 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2012 :  14:29:42  Show Profile
Don,

I have a vent similar to your's but my gas line and electrical line from the outboard go through the vent and into the locker. How are your lines run?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2012 :  17:28:48  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomh</i>
<br />Don,

I have a vent similar to your's but my gas line and electrical line from the outboard go through the vent and into the locker. How are your lines run?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tom,

My fuel line is routed through a thru hull fitting just above and to the left of my outboard bracket and enters the locker near the top of my fuel tank.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tomh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
83 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  19:28:42  Show Profile
Don,

Does the OB electric start cable go through the same opening?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  20:30:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomh</i>
<br />Don,

Does the OB electric start cable go through the same opening?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It could if I had an electric start, but mine is a pull start.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  07:46:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On my boat the vents face the opposite direction.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I have never seen one with that configuration but I would think it accomplishes the same purpose so should not be an issue. If your engine is mounted on the port stern it may be someone turned them around to facilitate the routing of the fuel line.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2012 :  19:12:13  Show Profile
The exhaust vent should have the long hose that runs to the lowest point in the storage area. any gas fumes will collect there and accumulate if not removed by the vents. The "intake" vent does not need a long hose.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:48:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by glen</i>
<br />...On my boat the vents face the opposite direction. The starboard has the long hose but faces forward. Do you think that is a concern, I still have one facing aft, which is over the fuel tank with the short hose<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That's the configuration I've seen. The starboard vent (assuming bow toward the wind) takes air in and routes it to the locker. The port vent, above the locker, exhausts the air from the bottom of the locker via the hose, where the gas fumes will tend to accumulate.

Don's right--when there's no engine inside the hull, no motorized ventilation is required. And while the electrical panel is open to the "dumpster", I haven't heard of any explosions of a C-25 due to that--only due to pressurized alcohol stoves.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/08/2012 22:05:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page